2022 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Who's acting like that? I literally stated that "(she) played limited minutes (didn't enter the game in Waco until the 7-minute mark in the second quarter)". That wasn't a new thought; it's bothered me since it happened, and many of us discussed it on here at that time.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  2. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

I see that excel chart and I’m thinking we ought to get more than just Gonzales. Let’s get Spear too. And throw in another front court player!!!

Let’s get it Vic!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

But spears is not in the portal

4. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to

Nah I’m just kidding. But it does seem crazy not to use the scholarships!

5. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Fresh off my very strange multi-day ban for posting a non-political response to DFW Horns' non-political post from a few weeks ago, I had deleted the hornfans' icon from my desktop and kissed this site goodbye for good. But with this news today, I couldn't resist coming back to see what everyone thought. Enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Here are mine:
    (1). This was a good move for Aliyah and a good move for Texas.
    (2). Did anyone on this board see the instagram live session between Aliyah and two former Miss St. teammates back in April that got recorded (probably without permission) and posted by some youtuber trying to be TMZ, in which she says some pretty outrageous stuff that I won't repeat here? The video was taken down after a few weeks. I think it may have had something to do with the mutual parting of ways. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  6. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

A. Welcome back. Hope you keep posting.
    B. No, did not see the instagram post. Can you give us a little more, still trying to sort out how we lost such an important piece.
    Sounds like you have some insight into how we got here. Thanks much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I didn't see anything, don't ever go to instant gram and still don't get it. Maybe I'm still just too pissed, but she was my favorite player and always seemed to have a great attitude.

Having a sharpshooter like that it critical for opening up the inside, and there are very few players that can shoot like Aliya. She was also improving her issues on defense and could have possibly made some great strides in another offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

There was a discussion on this message board immediately after a specific home game where someone noticed that the TV cameras caught Matharu outside the team circle during their post-game talk on the court, where she was totally disinterested and looking away while Vic was talking. I don't remember which game it was (maybe in February on LHN), but I do remember going to back to view my recording of the game, and that was an accurate assessment of her behavior (attitude). Some on here may have even speculated that she wasn't happy (based on her playing time), and that her body language could be indicative of a subsequent departure.

I do recall after the last home game, Senior Day against Okie State, how Matharu was so emotional and crying uncontrollably more so than Ebo, Warren, and Allen-Taylor combined. I chalked that up to her just being an emotional person, which is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Just to recap, and look forward:

- July 7 was the last day of classes at Texas for first summer session
    - July 7 was the day we learn that Aliyah Matharu is in the transfer portal; she has yet to post anything on social media (that I've seen) indicating her intentions
    - July 7 TexasSports.com removes Matharu from the official 2022-23 basketball roster

- July 11 is the first day of classes at Texas for second summer session; hoping Khadija Faye will be enrolled and begins practicing with her new teammates

- Shaylee Gonzales hasn't posted anything on social media regarding a transfer school destination; no indication that she's graduated from BYU after 3 years and will be a grad-transfer. From what I could gather, BYU has one summer session which runs from June 13 to August 9. So, assuming she's enrolled at BYU for summer classes, she won't be enrolling at her new school until later in August

• Like Like x 4
  10. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Does the July 11th date also apply to grad transfers--Sonya Morris?

In order to workout with the team, are players required to be enrolled in classes or can they practice and not be enrolled in summer school?

I noticed on IG that Shaylee Gonzales gave a very rare "like" to one of Aaliyah Moore's posts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I had read in the past that grad school programs don't really start their classes until the Fall. But, that doesn't mean a grad student-athlete couldn't enroll in undergraduate summer classes.

Volleyball grad-transfer Zoe Fleck started her classes at Texas in January. Grad-transfer Jenna Ewert (according to her social media) has been in Austin all summer hanging out with her new volleyball teammates; whether that means she is enrolled in summer classes isn't really confirmed.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I do recall that video...what got my attention was her discussing team plays

13. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

What all was said? Was it negative towards Texas??

14. Texashorns2022

15. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Not that I remember...just stuff that would be team only like. I remember her describing a play or quote of some kind then catching herself, smiling then changing subject. Just a very raw conversation among friends. It was almost like a player that had already transfered....really strange

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  16. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Malcom's recollection is correct. I actually jotted down some notes on certain things that were said, but I'm out of town right now. I might give more specifics when I get home on Monday if appropriate. It was actually an entertaining conversation at times (Aliyah has an entertaining personality) and quite enlightening in certain respects such as a discussion on how other conference teams act towards our players, her opinion that SEC coaches respect Vic but Big12 coaches do not, and how Haley Jones isn’t the classy player she is played up to be. But I only saw the video because Youtube's algorithm put it in my suggested videos because the click-seeking Youtuber that likely illegally recorded and posted it called it "Vic Schaefer secrets spilled by former and current players", thinking that it would draw bunch of views. The video was an instagram live session that appeared to be hosted by Andrea Espinoza-Hunter, with Aliyah and another former MSU player whose name I can't recall. It occurred sometime in early April. My first thoughts after viewing the video was: (1). there is absolutely no way in hell Aliyah or anyone else in the video consented to it being recorded; (2). it was pretty careless to say some of the things that were said in a non-private forum; and (3). This could be an indication that we weren't going to see Aliyah play for Texas again. In the video, she dogs several of Vic's drills, admits to trying to get out of them (like saying she has to use the restroom), laughs with the other former players about the alleged lack of ingenuity in Vic's offense (but curiously, the Big12 tournament final against Baylor was an example raised by one of the former MSU players, and if memory serves me, we won that game easily - right?), says she tells Blair “girl, I don’t play that”, and if I remember correctly, wasn’t too fond of Vic's frequent religious references and things like having to sign his door every day. YouTube’s rules on video removal allow a video to be taken down if (among other reasons) a person depicted in the video says it was recorded without their consent. Someone apparently got it removed within a few weeks or a month if I remember correctly. The video was up for a few weeks' time minimum. Didn't get a lot of views as I recall (maybe in the couple of 100s or low 1000s), but I'm guessing its existence got back to the staff and they weren’t pleased.

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Thank you @Born in ATX
    Appreciate some clarity on the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Texashorns2022

Shaylee just started following Taylor jones
    I had a dream that shaylee committed to Texas hopefully she does

• Like Like x 6
  19. Texashorns2022

Yesssss

• Like Like x 12
    • Hot Hot x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Vic is not messing around!

Seems like he's been one step ahead of every outgoing transfer and had (or came up with) a plan to bring in a replacement via the transfer portal!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I remember agreeing with you . . . at the time . . . :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Or so likely (in Vic's world) ! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly why I don't even worry about it anymore. Vic and Co. STAY READY so they don't have to GET READY.:hookem:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  25. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

The timing of Shaylee's commitment leads me to believe she'll be enrolled in the 2nd summer session and participating with the team. @Moooooo or anyone else, does my assumption seem to be correct?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Jacob Johnson

What Vic wants, Vic gets!!!! This is a big time get and I’m now excited as ever. This team has the talent to win it all. HOOKEM BABY!!! :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. Jacob Johnson

lol go back to sleep and dream we win a national championship:D

• Like Like x 7
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
  29. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Man, you guys are really good at this stuff! This board is filled with pros. First, we are directed to a really stretch of a connection with a former player. Then, a follow by a coach or two. Then a follow of or by a current player. Then some more follows, or mutual follows. Then a rumor of a visit. Then one of you has me breaking down an instagram story over and over like the damn Zapruder film to see if I can actually make out a Shaylee-like figure in the reflection of the living room window at Vic's house. Then Shaylee tiktoks from somewhere in Texas. Now its a done deal? Wow! All those people who lost their minds on Twitter when Matharu went in the portal just needed to be watching this board.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2