2022 WNBA

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by loyallonghorn, May 2, 2022.

1. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

With the WNBA into their 2nd week of preseason, I am stunned at the quality of players who are being waived and left unclaimed. Certainly I'm aware the talent out-numbers the available teams in the league. Some of these talented players include All-Americans:

Natasha Mack - Oklahoma State
    Kalani Brown - Baylor
    Christyn Williams - Connecticut
    Que Morrison - Georgia
    Khaalia Hillsman - Texas A&M
    N'Dea Jones - Texas A&M
    Chelsea Dungee - Arkansas
    Jordan Lewis - Alabama/Baylor
    Megan Gustafson - Iowa
    Erica McCall - Stanford
    Imani McGee-Stafford - Texas
    Lauren Cox - Baylor
    Jamie Nared - Tennessee

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Yes. Although Kalani Brown and Christyn Williams were waived after season ending injuries. The WNBA salary cap rules are so tight, teams just can’t afford to carry players injured before rosters are final. The player would have to be EDD or the second coming of Tamika Catchings.

3. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

Just saw Joyner is on the Conn roster.

4. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It's just even more reason for women's basketball players to take their academics seriously, if they weren't already. The number of jobs and pay just isn't there like it obviously is on the men's side. And with the turmoil overseas in places that paid well like Russia and China things get even tighter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Some have suggested that Queen would’ve gone to Texas had it not been for Charli’s commitment. Was that a playing time issue or personal?

6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I hope Charli knocked the piss out of her...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wow. After seeing some of the names being cut the past few days, congrats to Joyner. Hope she sticks.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Hey Yvonne Anderson played at Texas too (2008-2012). She’s been around mostly playing overseas for a long time! I guess she is the same Yvonne Anderson!
    Born in United States, she successfully obtained citizenship and represents Serbia internationally.[1][2] She was a standout basketball player at the University of Texas.[3][4] She is the daughter of basketball coachMike Anderson.[5]

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Completely missed Yvonne. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  10. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

See this is when I wish the ole heads in the league would retire! Give the young'ens an opportunity to play in the states. Their overseas money and endorsements throughout the years should afford them the opportunity to retire and live comfy.

11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

While the WNBA is much more politically progressive than other professional leagues, they are very conservative when it comes to nudging older players out the door and not just the superstars. Seattle knows they can sell more Bird jerseys and are trying not to alienate fans so a very promising young PG, Jordin Canada, is now in LA. Same with Lindsay Whalen toward the end of her career with the Lynx. Even players farther down the bench, I can’t remember her name but there was a Brazilian center a few years ago well past her prime that kept finding roster spots.

This seems like a common thread in women’s basketball because it’s also an issue with Team USA. The organization has a well-earned reputation for hanging on to older, declining players forcing younger players to find other countries to play for. Courtney Vandersloot has been 1 of the 2 best PGs since 2015 (IMO the best since 2018) but USA Basketball left her off the team in favor of Whalen. Vandersloot now plays for the Hungarian National team. I was shocked that Ariel made the last Olympic team, not because she’s not worthy, rather she’s 1) not an older, big name and 2) she didn’t go to UCONN.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

USA basketball is a whole different animal. All I can do is SMH! They did Nneka dirty. That was just pitiful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

They screwed over Candace Parker also and is exactly why she vowed to never train with USA Basketball again... and she hasn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Don’t mention Yvonne? Anyone else getting annoyed by the current social media team for Texas WBB basically ignoring any history between 2004-2017? :cursing2:

I know I overlooked her but I’m not responsible for officially representing the program.

16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

TexasWBB deleted the tweet. Hopefully they’re updating the graphic.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Charli got the least minutes of the Dallas Wings post players last night, a little over 3 minutes. I wonder what that means for her when T. McGowan finally joins the team from overseas?

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  20. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

IMO, it means that she won't be long in the WNBA. According to these statistics, Famila Wuber Schio basketball, News, Roster, Rumors, Stats, Awards, Transactions, Details-eurobasket, she's not doing much overseas either. Perhaps it's time to get that broadcasting career started.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Definitely should have stayed in college AT LEAST another year, and probably could've benefited greatly from an extra year as well. The short-sightedness of these players entering the professional ranks continues to amaze me. What's even more amazing is the apparent lack of vision by the more mature members of their respective camps. I mean, what's more important? Being a top draft pick bust, or fully developing at the collegiate level into a player who will have longevity? It's not like being a top pick in the WNBA makes you independently wealthy. Hell, there are potential NIL deals that can be more financially rewarding... not to mention the extra education. Again, very short-sighted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Charli was 2nd among all UT athletes in projected NIL opportunity earnings when she was a junior (behind Ehlinger) before NIL actually kicked in. I assume she believed being the top pick in that class was more beneficial long term than pick 3-6 in this year's.

• Like Like x 2
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Perhaps so.

24. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Agree brnkj. I don't fault her for going professional early. But many of us who watched her during her junior season noticed that she would dominate against smaller teams who lacked post players Charli's size, but when Charli was matched up with a post player her size, she disappeared (with the exception against Natasha Mack). It was a tell tale sign she would struggle in the pros.

• Agree Agree x 7
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm with you on that one... I don't fault her either. I just wish she'd have stayed and continued to develop as IMO she was on a path to undeniable All-American status. She also struggled against teams like Baylor who had two solid post players while she really had no help down on the block. I would have liked to seen her play alongside Ebo, Moore, and Gaston so that Baylor couldn't gang up on her as they did. I'm really hoping Charli does well in the pros, but I'm doubting the probability more and more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

"So you are doubting the probability more and more"....
    Well, its really not up to you to doubt. I prob would not respond and this will be my last response. Charli is not just a center. Vicki from Dallas has told Charli to not shoot outside. No 3's, etc. She is not being utilized. (i told this to a legendary WNBA ex player and she said its the only way to survive at that height against amazons. she thought that was apalling,) So really, if another coach or team would entertain why she was sought after in the first place, then I could agree with what you are viewing (During her sophomore year under Karen Aston, is when WNBA interest happened - Viewed as a versatile big....go back and see the videos).
    Charli dominated big girl from Kansas State - go back and view stats, for your information.
    Very discouraging for her to be in a position, where the narrative is written based on what you are allowed to see and to compare. Now back to the Baylor Games, we all know Vic played her outside against their 3 player. He did not want her to play down low. So that narrative was created as to why she should stay. So i guess you couldn't view the Indiana vs. Dallas exhibition game where Charli was 4-5 and also Queen 4-5. Social Media is like those guys Trump hates...."fake news". That mess bring up old discussion.

Also, I would never bet probability on your kids young life. What you see as an obstacle, may not be what the outcome will be.
    Signing out and care less what your response will be....I will always, no matter what send best wishes to everyone in their career and pray for progression, moving forward. But I would never bet on you failing at your profession.

27. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

This is why social media and blogs are insanely bad for young people. Yall get on here and bash the heck out of kids and their hopes in life.

Be careful, because not all are grounded in faith to have the mind to view what is unrealistic vs realistic. Really, not everyone believe in God to help them through crisis. So some check out because they don't have a foundation to stand on, or other avenues to help them decipher issues, or just get tired of this new social media mess. So I pray that my people do not read it, because they are both in high profile situations. I let them know that this Blog, twitter, etc., and the people in it do not define them.....just people like they are and definitely not GOD!

This is why so many people are anxious, confused, and frankly, all messed up. They read not just your blog, but the mess on social media.

Just be conscious.

28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

How about you crawl back under your rock?...

29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If anything, I was hoping McGowan's arrival might help Charli by allowing her to play a stretch 4 role more suited to her skill set.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Statistics are what they are... and that's solely what the opinion is based on. FACTS. Again, I want to see Charli have success. Again, nobody can say anything about your family member even in the spirit of wishing her well without you getting bent out of shape. FOH with that BS.

• Agree Agree x 4