2023/2024 Portal News

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 18, 2023.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

A guard who can score and play the point? Doubt she’s willing to be part of a guard rotation with Rori and Shaylee but who knows.

2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If that's the case what do you think will happen if Quinnerly were to actually join the team?

• Like Like x 1
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'm a bit more bullish on Quinnerly (if she enters the Portal) because she, while not big at 5' 8", could be on the floor with Shaylee and Rori at the same time. Park-Lane is 5' 3" and having her on the court at the same time as Rori and Shaylee could result in more than a few 'mouse in the house' situations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Here we go!

I've been waiting for Jordyn Merritt (Plano) to transfer from Florida for the last 2 seasons. While we don't necessarily need more forwards or wing players, we could always use someone with height who can shoot the 3-ball. I think her shooting % could improve if she's surrounded by better talent on the court.

Aston was the first one to offer her back in high school.

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Both Blair and Lovato recently started following 5’8 junior guard Teisha Hyman who is currently in the portal out of Syracuse.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Definitely seems like we are wanting at least one more "quick" guard.

That seems to be all our coaches have been following on social media.

Seems like she's had an injury season and a redshirt season.

Teisha Hyman - Women's Basketball - Syracuse University Athletics

9. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Looks like she had a heck of a season and is very mature. Will probably be a lot of interest, especially on the east coast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Coach Johnnie Harris is gonna have a hard time having success if these defections continue to occur

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I watched Auburn a few times in Johnnie's first season - Coulibaly can play. They improved their W-L in Johnnie's 2nd season but you're right, she's going to have a very steep hill to climb with the transfer losses.

13. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

Vic said guard or impact player she is just that. She is just as good or better than Baylors A.Blackwell I would go after her if not I think she ends up in sec still probably ole miss or tenn idk nobody in big 12 that can get her beside us or Baylor I don’t see pac 12 but she is good. Can shoot it hard driver and competitivel

14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She's from Florida so maybe an ACC team may be an option as well.

*Correction she attended IMG Academy in Florida

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Jayda Curry off the board now. She's heading to Louisville. Seemed a bit hasty of a decision given the amount of interest there was for her. I'm not sure she visited anywhere but Lville. But I just read yesterday that Lville only had 7 players on its current roster due to departures and portal seekers. We need to get our high impact guard asap before there aren't any left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Unless she was just really unhappy at Cal, hard to imagine a player from the state of California basically discarding her two completed years of academic coursework toward a degree from Berkeley and want a degree from Louisville instead.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Especially with Vic saying that Maul is "behind in her rehab." We definitely don't want lack of depth in the back court to be an issue again next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Berkeley ranked #20 (Texas not far behind), the Ville ranked #182. So yeah, apparently she doesn't care where she gets her degree.
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

This is where I have a little concern with Vic's statements today. On the one hand we find out that 2 guards we have may not be ready for next season. On the other hand, we are supposed to hold spots open for players in the next 2 classes that might or might not commit. We better learn from the mistakes of the past or we'll be doomed to repeat them. The queen of darkness just won a natty (with a lot of help and luck along the way) mainly because of what she pulled out of the portal. If JJQ, for example, wants to come, you don't worry about the impact on future rosters. Beyond that, maybe Vic looks for a one and done grad transfer for next season as well if it looks like we are going to have guard depth issues again?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I guarantee you if JJQ wants to come to Texas Vic will roll out the red carpet. Hell, he may send a UT jet. LOL
    Would that be legal?
    :e-thinking:

23. Jacob Johnson

she’s one I would take immediately. She checks all the boxes and she’s a 42% 3 point shooter!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Did you see where I posted a few days ago that Rori started following her on IG, and vice versa? I like it!

• Like Like x 2
  25. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I was more than a little concerned. Holding open scholarships so as not to recruit over the 2024's is a luxury you don't have with your MASH unit. When you're down to 7 scholarships players in the last weeks of the season, I would think that would be enough to make you realize you shouldn't be holding on to unused scholarships. As to those recruits that feel they are being recruited over...."steel sharpens steel". If you don't know what I'm talking about then go back and review the National Championship our volleyball program just won. That wasn't won by holding on to scholarships. Every single position had competition including the NPOY's position. She lost her starting 6 rotation spot for a few weeks because of how competitive things were in the practice gym. If your recruits don't realize a competitive gym is part of a National Championship caliber program, then they are not the recruits for your program.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Above noticed on March 25. Looks like we could have a leg up on this one!

• Like Like x 2
  27. Jacob Johnson

I did and that was right after a Rori went to visit her girlfriend at Oregon so it’s good they have a relationship already. Hopefully Vic makes the call because she’s going to be one of the best to enter the portal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Do we run pick and roll plays?

29. Jacob Johnson

When did he say this? Unless she got hurt again I don’t understand how she would be behind. Her injury was about a year ago and didn’t Vic say she was running with the team before the tournament? I guess it’s better safe than sorry because a year and a half from an injury is a long time and normally doesn’t take that long for anyone that age. So if she’s not ready by the time the season starts her setback must be pretty significant.

30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

In the Statesman article.

• Agree Agree x 1