2023/2024 Portal News

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We did at the beginning when Moore was available but once she went down we didn’t really run it the rest of the season. Really just ran the dribble drive which is a pick and pop type deal just not an official screen. She would do good with that as well especially because she can shoot and drive at such a high level. Her and Rori would complement eachother very well.

• Like Like x 2
  2. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. Especially when you don't know when you're going to have the two players who would be playing the other guard position in Maul and Codio. Now is not the time to hold on to scholarships and worry about what might be. They need to improve ball handling and athleticism /quickness on the perimeter. Unfortunately I don't think JJQ will be in the portal. We may have to settle for a player like Lauren Fields.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It's definitely tough to manage/balance the current and immediate roster while also having to look 2-3 rosters down the road.

Seems like Boutilier is almost assuredly redshirting; then you have 3 players in Codio, Maul, and Moore coming off significant knee injuries, that knocks your 13 player roster down to 9 for opening day in November (if none are 100% healthy by then). Those 2 remaining 'ships need to be used wisely for this coming season; and, it's still possible that only one affects the 2024 numbers if they only plan to play one season at Texas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

I take this as Paopao already knows where she wants to go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jacob Johnson

I’m hearing it may be USC:(

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I get the feeling USC is throwing around a lot of WBB NIL $$$ - how else could you explain the Watkins signing?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I think so. I believe the same about LSU. If that's the case, we better FIGURE OUT A WAY...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

This would concern me: 20% career 3-point shooter. Would not benefit Texas.

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Florida is just hemorrhaging defections. Guess that shine has worn off the interim head coach who was named permanent head coach. I do feel bad for Aliayah Matharu (and us, of course) choosing Florida last summer and now having most of her teammates jump ship; guess she's stuck there unless graduates and decides to grad-transfer.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Damn... Matharu made quite the choice didn't she? I was so disappointed when she left us.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

JJ Quinerly did post an IG story with photo of new WVU head coach. Her Dad started following him on IG. We'll see if that means anything.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

A really bad decision. She would've been a real difference maker for us this season, earned another ring, and stayed relevant in WBB circles. Plus everyone on the team liked her. Instead, she's likely stuck at Florida and will have to fit in with a redone roster that won't fare well in the SEC next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I can see needing to do that just to be a good teammate. And I'm sure if she is in the portal, one of the pitches she will get is on the virtues of staying put. But this would be her third coach in 3 years. That's pretty bad. And experience shows that this WBB program doesn't compete for championships and the players who do succeed have done so at other programs (look no further than Jasmine Carson - the difference make for lsu in the title game - played her Jr and Sr years at WVU). If she stays at WVu, she'll be the best player on the team. But what will she compete for?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Don't remember seeing them mentioned yet but Miss St has 5 players in the Portal:

According to a source with knowledge on the portal, freshman guard Aniya Palmer along with sophomore Alasia Hayes and her sister and senior guard Aislynn Hayes have entered the portal. The trio follows up redshirt freshman guard Mia Moore and junior center Charlotte Kohl.

If the Hayes name rings a bell, they are the younger sisters of the well-traveled Anastasia (Tennessee->Middle Tennesse->Miss State). Aislynn transferred to MSU from Middle Tennessee and Alasia ended up in Starkville by way of South Bend (Notre Dame).

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I think it's only fair (and admirable) to at least give the incoming new coach a chance to have a conversation.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

HS teammate of Amina’s leaving KSU…

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Coach Lovato has started following Te-hina Paopao on Instagram

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I mean she could be doing that, but not many "teammates" left as several have already announced their intentions to transfer. :p

But, her Dad following the new head coach on IM is interesting.

20. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think she'll stay at West Virginia. IMO, if she was going to transfer she would've already done so.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

She has until May 11th to get into the portal, and much longer than that to decide where to go. If she doesn't get a ton of advice to transfer out of that average program over the next 5 weeks, she's either secured a very sweet NIL deal from the coon-skin cap folks or she's hiding in a closet with no cell phone. WVa has qualified for the NCAA tourney only 14 times since the program started 50 years ago. They made it to the Sweet 16 only once. They've also only won 2 conf. championships in 50 years. Another new coach isn't going to fix that program. I think she will leave because if she doesn't, she will never reach her full potential.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Is there some secret points system Esmery gets for entering a portal?

• Funny Funny x 5
  23. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

LOL. One thing is for sure - I bet that story isn't over yet. I wonder how she feels knowing she was committed to LSU at one point last year and blew her shot at a ring?

• Like Like x 2
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

It'll be interesting to see if some of the shine starts fading on Barnes. She had the magical run with Aari McDonald but hasn't made much noise since - 2 2nd round exits and finished 4th in the PAC12 the past 2 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She has been all over the place from the beginning of her collegiate career.

26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

RIGHT

27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Interestingly enough the Miss St. player who did not declare for the draft nor enter the portal (not yet anyway) is my wish list center Jessika Carter.
    In addition to a guard or two, we still need another "impact" 5 IMO. We are just a Taylor Jones injury away from having to start Hadi again. As we so unfortunately learned all the offensive rebounds in the world do you little good when you can't convert them into putback buckets.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Starts? I think it's past that point as of the last two offseasons. She brings in new players with several years of eligibility, but hardly any are staying more than one season before entering the transfer portal. I thought she was a rising star; but, either her player evaluations are off, or players are leaving because they aren't experiencing what they were expecting.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Jacob Johnson

not in the portal yet but could be something to watch especially since she’s from the Dallas area. She would be someone I would want on our team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm betting LSU to step into Alexis Morris' role.