2023/2024 Portal News

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

That’s exactly what it is. Vic hinted at it earlier in the season in a press conference. He said something to the likes of parents are telling their kids that they deserve playing time now instead of putting in the work. Something of that nature and her dad is that type of parent. Don’t mean to bash him or her because I’m sure he just wants what’s best for his child but once she leaves he’s going to realize the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Vic is known for developing players so he’s going to regret his decision.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Jacob Johnson

Probably unlikely but Texas needs to add a minimum of 3 players possibly 4 if Shaylee decides to move on. I believe we need a guard who can handle the ball and defend. A Joanne Allen type player, a shooting guard who can shoot the 3, and a true post player. I honestly expect many portal entries as we have ever seen so there will be lots to choose from.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly... guard and ball handling depth, a pure shooter, and another FIVE with offensive and goal protecting skill sets. Given what we've experienced this season with injuries (some ongoing) we can't afford to try and get by with what we have. At least three (and likely four) additions seem reasonable to me also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jacob Johnson

This would be someone I would like for Vic to pickup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I saw her have some really nice games this season. She can shoot it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jacob Johnson

Here we go with this nonsense. Seems like another Chevalier situation throwing digs at the coaching staff. I find it funny how it’s the players who don’t get much playing time that seem to be not cared for by the coaching staff. Had they been getting minutes none of this would even be a thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, she thanks Chris Del Conte, and wishes her teammates luck.

Those who liked her tweet include Chevalier and her mother, and former Longhorn, Precious Johnson. So far, no current Longhorn players have liked it.

EDIT: On instagram, several Horns have wished her luck.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Instagram:

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Updated. I won't list Shaylee until we get official word on her return/departure.

upload_2023-3-14_13-5-44.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Does AMo get a medical redshirt year?

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Always appreciate your chart. If possible down the road, can you designate Jones as a 5th year (Super senior) for next season? The players who still qualify for their COVID season in 2024-25 are Gaston, Holle, and Faye; guess they would be 4th year seniors next season.

And, since you listed Codio as a Redshirt FR, that would also apply to Maul.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She would have to apply for a waiver; she was hurt on December 11. Iowa State is applying for an injury waiver for Stephanie Soares who was hurt in early January, IIRC.

13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Taylor's designation confuses me. On the Texas roster, she's listed as a junior.

upload_2023-3-14_13-15-23.png

14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was always shocked that she joined Rori at Texas. Basically, she took up a scholarship that someone else could have had these last two years. So....Vaya Con Dios.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I find it very strange that she thanked Chris Del Conte (for basically allowing her to keep her scholarship). CDC had no business getting involved; most likely the coaching staff wanted her to vanquish her 'ship at the end of the Fall, but she went above them to CDC. She really should have given up her 'ship in December as it was apparent that she was no longer part of team/program as she attended no practices, team activities, or actual games (like Codio did despite being injured).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I can only guess that when she transferred to Texas, she made her intent known to Vic that she would play 2 seasons at Texas. I thought she graduated from Oregon State (in 3 years); perhaps she didn't and that's why she wasn't listed as "Graduate Student" like Shaylee and Sonya.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

After the hardship she caused this team, Hunter has a lot of gall to make the subtle swipes at the coaching staff and this is the first I’ve seen of any attempt to support her teammates. Wouldn’t surprise me if her good buddy with a grudge had a look at the draft of that statement.

Good riddance I’m really tired of walking on eggshells with this girl and giving her the benefit of the doubt.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I don’t have a single problem with any Longhorns that entered the portal with the exception of the two without integrity…one leaving the team in a lurch mid season and the other taking an unplanned sabbatical for an entire season leaving no options to the team and encumbering a scholarship. Enter the portal fine, but fulfill your obligations first.
    We saw what kind of Coach was not bothered by it, so let’s see what the next one brings.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

Vic should have learned his lesson with what Hunter pulled last season opting to leave the team for a few weeks during the season (I forget what reason was provided to the media); but he put his faith and trust in someone who once again hurt the team.

She did return to finish last season and played in several games. She and Vic obviously decided she would continue to be part of the program her sophomore season. A few days before the first game in November, Vic told the media that Kyndall was away from the team for "family reasons"; none of us bought that reasoning.

While I do believe some people suffer from mental health issues, I also believe some people (regardless of their age, occupation, industry, etc.) use that excuse to their advantage.

Clean start for everyone is best. Just wish it wouldn't have taken so long (entire season basically) to figure that out.

• Agree Agree x 7
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That was totally by design apparently.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Agreed! She never should have been on the roster once she abandoned the team. And it was clear right from the first tip that we needed another guard. So to just go AWOL like that says a lot.
    Also - I'm pretty sure it wasn't "God's Plan" to quit when things got difficult. I can't stand it when people use that phrase to justify conduct. In the real world, you can't just quit when things get hard. She got what UT promised her, but UT didn't get anything back.

• Agree Agree x 10
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It is what it is. Good luck to her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I checked and I think Taylor might have 2 seasons left. This is her 4th season, but last year she only played in 9 games - easily qualifying her for a medical RS. Plus, she started in 2019, so she should have a Covid year too. Unless you can't use a Covid year AND and medical RS year as well. IF you can, then she has 2 years left. As for Hadi, she began her career in the fall of 2020. She's used 3 years, but wouldn't she have 2 years left with the Covid year she should get? If we kept those 2 for two more years, at least we wouldn't have to worry about quality post play for awhile.

• Like Like x 2
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Agree. But what about Matharu? I see pictures of her at coach's house smiling with the rest of the team and then two days later into the portal. And then because of the timing she's ineligible to play this season! Did she hate Vic that much? This one was a head scratcher since she played for Vic her freshman year at MSU. She knew what she was getting into when she portaled to Texas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I like Danny. But apparently, we're losers for our comments about Hunter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Her timing didn’t leave the team without options behind her unless my memory is failing (quite possibly). I was surprised that she did it because like you said she’d played for him before. Maybe she thought/realized she just couldn’t cut it at Texas although hard to believe considering her leading scorer status. Anyway, I don’t have her in the same category as AC & KH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well this “loser” wished her well in the future and pointed out the unvarnished truth so Danny can bite me for all I care. I’ve remained neutral and/or supportive of her up until her announcement where SHE couldn’t take the high road by thanking only CDC. It was a blatant swipe and lowly of her considering the hardships she put this team and staff through.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Oh well if he calls people losers for defending their coaching staff and program against obvious ********, then that's his prerogative. I appreciate his coverage but I disagree with him. I knew he read these message boards... might even be a poster here. :idk:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2