2023/2024 Portal News

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Prater followed a few Aggies today (not named Kyndall). She might be visiting there as well.

2. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

I think Aston could very well re-emerge at a Power 5 school.

3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I believe Mooo and loyalllonghorn are both right on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I was just about to say that I think the combined assessments of @Moooooo and @loyallonghorn pretty much align perfectly with my thoughts. Still wishing KA continued success and happiness professionally and personally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I’m not sure Prater is on a visit to USC. Could be a possibility but looks like she’s in town for the national black student athlete summit. Aaliyah Moore is also in California for that reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jacob Johnson

Diamond Johnson to Norfolk state:confused2:

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Peyton Scott has committed to Oregon

10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Danny Davis said it best on Twitter, when he repeated the sentiments of some of us on this board. He said he would argue that there were very few guards in the portal this season that could come in and challenge any of our returners for playing time. I think we've got what we are going to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, I know some have posted that they want an "impact" transfer. And, while that would be great (depending on what "impact" means), most of us know that our biggest need is someone who can play some backup PG; Vic stated that himself. As those options from the transfer portal dwindle, I'm still holding out hope that we mine the international circuit to fill that need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Absolutely! The problem is if people are transferring they're not doing so to play backup somewhere. My fingers are still crossed though.

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's true of the "elite" transfers. For others (we want to add depth to the PG position), depends how versatile they are (PG vs CG) where they are in their college career, educational objectives, and what type of pro ball aspirations they have.

There are many transfers who choose a school knowing they won't likely be an immediate starter (like Tionna Herron); conversely, some transfers want a chance to compete for a starting spot; and, some want a guarantee they will be a starter. Vic has to find that right blend of a PG/CG who fits in our roster.

14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well... if we're looking for the experienced and proven transfer I believe we are, then good luck finding one that's going to transfer somewhere and come off the bench. Like you said, however, perhaps educational goals might facilitate that for us. Tionna Heron is a different story, she's a medical redshirt transfer with four full years of eligibility and hasn't played a minute of college basketball.

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Kennedy Cambridge will transfer from Kentucky to Ohio State. All eyes will now be on younger sister, 2024 Jaloni to see if she follows her

16. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

You mean Ohio state

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Cambridge's transfer process was different from most other transfers who chose the first school they officially visited. Cambridge announced her intentions to transfer in early March; it wasn't until just the last couple of weeks where she posted photos of visits to Oregon and Louisville; she still has photos of her Louisville visit pinned at top of her IG page, not that of OSU. Never posted photos of Ohio State visit until today. Strange.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Based on her Instagram stories, looks like Chandler Prater is currently visiting Oklahoma State.

19. Jacob Johnson

Why is she in Texas:e-eyes:

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Her IG story has her shooting hoops with Jaden Owens. So, she must be visiting TCU.

• poop poop x 1
  21. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

That’s not on the tcu campus I believe that’s shoot 360 some of my aau kids shoot there b4 tourneys when we in the dfw area.

22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

It's not really all that hot.

23. Texashorns2022

• Like Like x 2
  24. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

It's just getting warm. Hot is Jul - August

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Jacob Johnson

That’s another thing lol this isn’t even hot it’s actually nice weather outside. If she goes to a school in Texas she’s going to be in for a rude awakening when summer actually hits:D

26. Texashorns2022

Prater to osu she wasn’t a big need tho

• Like Like x 1
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Probably the best choice for her.

28. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

So Prater leaves KU where she was a big part of helping them win an NIT for what reason? Her IG post says "winners don't wait for a chance, they take it." Come again? This was a very weird lateral move at best. She just passed on a solid program with a top-5 coach who has produced serious results to commit instead to a school with one WBB conference championship ever - and that was 32 years ago (1991). The farthest the cowgirls have ever advanced in the NCAAs is only the sweet16 - 3 times (1991, 2008, 2014) and never further. Real head-scratcher on this one folks. And let's face it - this probably also marks the first time I've ever seen a UT sports program lose a recruiting battle in any sport to OSU. While the staff definitely deserved an "A" for last offseason, this offseason was a complete whiff. There were some solid mid-major guards out there that were worth a look, but I don't believe we recruited them. Maybe the results on next season will make all of this a moot point. Maybe this offseason was a huge success because we kept everyone and the players we feel we need are already on the roster. I sure hope that's the case.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

I get it but we ain’t future tellers and I get it player grow and that is welcomed, but I stand on my point we haven’t addressed our needs and at this point it’s going to come out of thin air or over seas. Like I don’t get it tho and I don’t think players developing is going to fix it unless somebody can explain how it’s going to add up. I think we’ll be slightly up or down from where we was this year. Even if you break it down Rori cannot play 37-40 mins all year. Then on top of that we need her to Lead and produce. We going to need her to avg 14-16 ppl, 6-8ast, 2-3TOs, 5reb and even if shaylee keeps her numbers& D and AMO to give us a combined 15-18ppg, 12-18reb and Tay to avg a solid consistent dbl dbl & wildcard Mina, Jak, G Maul to give us production and Booker going to have to play beyond FOY for us to be better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I totally agree. Perhaps this will be the year of a freshman phenom and our other players finally playing to their potential each and every game (i.e., no one returning who had playing time last year gets a pass). Otherwise, I'm totally bummed about this year's portal. No star, no national recognition, nada. You'd think Texas is a Division II team.

• Agree Agree x 2