2023/2024 Portal News

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

It's never a good idea counting on Freshmen to fill the void. Yet, I'm still hopeful that Booker and also Maul, with her reportedly timely rehab, will improve the dynamic of this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I agree. We are a major program and should have been able to bring in a competent backup PG, at least from a mid-major school. I think the staff only looked at players who really wanted to be starters somewhere, and that was the problem. The best that I can tell, we only had 3 visitors from the portal. Only one of them was a true PG, and she opted to go somewhere that needed a starting PG. We should have brought in someone from a smaller school as a backup plan. Barring a late surprise like last year (with Shaylee), we are going to be in the same position we were in this season with PG.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I have to admit I'm also a little disappointed and puzzled that we've been unable to pick up a combo guard. I feel the fact that we only lost Sonya from players who logged major minutes, combined with the fact that Shay has been a part-time starter for 2 years now, played a part in that. Programs that did pick up players from the portal had people either graduate or transfer out.

From the outside looking in, unless you were one of the very few major guards in the transfer portal, I don't think we looked real attractive speaking in terms of a guaranteed starting spot. I'll say it again that I don't think there are many out there, regardless whether they're from a P5 or mid-major, that are going to transfer somewhere to be a backup. Players transfer to new schools with the intent of being a starter.

I'm really concerned that we are just one key injury away (at more than one position) from being in the same place we were last year. But... it is what it is and Vic and his staff are just going to have to get the job done. I have confidence in the abilities of both Maul and Booker, but their lack of college level experience is probably going to make for a significant learning curve. All we can do is roll the ball out and see what happens with what we've got. Fingers are still crossed that something falls out of the sky for us over the summer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
  4. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Based upon this alone, I'd have to say our off-season portal recruiting this year was a failure. I think Vic and staff need to re-evaluate how they recruit from the portal at a position where you have one of the best in the country already on roster starting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We can still get a grad transfer from the portal. The question is if any will enter that can come in and make an immediate impact.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

At this point I'd just be happy to get a back-up PG that can come in and give Rori a break for 5-10 min a game without turnovers. There were a number of players that could have come in and started, but for some reason none showed and interest in Texas.

To say Vic's results in the portal were dismal is an understatement.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree but my question is who would that be? Who is willing to transfer in from another school just to play that type of minimal role? If someone WAS willing to do that, what kind of talent would they possess? Most likely not even near as good as what we already have in Gonzales, Maul, and Booker.

My biggest disappointment is that we missed big-time on players like Spear, Paopao, Rogers, Mair, etc. I'm especially disappointed about missing out on Spear and Rogers being that they are from the state of Texas. So, yes, I'd agree we were a big failure there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, when you state "immediate impact", how do you define that?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think that's a reasonable request (during a season where Rori stays healthy).

But, last season, Rori missed the first 8 games due to a toe injury; not having a true backup PG was costly. That's a lesson our coaches learned the hard way; and, it's very risky going into this coming season with the same lack of a second true PG.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
  10. Jacob Johnson

As someone who can come in and possibly compete for a starting spot against our current players. Really need someone to backup Harmon. I’m good with our starting 5 at the moment but Harmon needs a break. She’s tough and capable of playing every minute but I would still like a backup pg who can shoot the 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Sorry, but that's not an "immediate impact" in my book.

I'd like all that, too. But, seems like you are talking about several different "wants".

No transfer was going to come in and "compete" with Rori for the starting PG job.

If there were a "backup PG who can shoot the 3", they're probably worthy of being a starter at most programs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jacob Johnson

it doesn’t need to be a pg. my original want coming into the off-season was a backup pg and a shooting guard. Now that we used a scholarship on tree I would take either at this point. Texas needs a guard type player who can shoot the 3. I look at someone like Quinerly who can play pg but her true position is the 2 spot.

We know nobody in the country was going to come in and replace Harmon at pg. It would be nice to have someone who can play along side her and also give her a break from time to time. Our biggest need at the moment is a shooter because right now we are probably worse than we were last year with the departure of Morris.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

My thought was not a minimal role. I was thinking a starter at SG who was also a good ball handler who could spell Rori for breaks while Shaylee plays a lot in a 3 guard format, slides over to SG when that SG give Rori a break.

As I posted before, plenty of starting minutes available and those type of players were there, including HVL. But none seemed to show any interest in Texas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't think the iron was as hot for Texas this offseason as it was the prior 2 offseasons where we were coming of Elite 8 appearances. This offseason we were coming of a round of 32 appearance where we had lost convincingly at home to Louisville; that's a huge difference in post-season success. While our fans know we were down 2 starters (Sonya and Aaliyah) most of the season, that doesn't change the perception that we had a down year (especially after being pre-season Top 5 nationally).

Vic told Danny Davis he wanted/needed a combo guard who could play some backup PG; yet, we really didn't bring one in for a visit (unless you count Mair). I honestly believe that Vic and staff felt JJ Quinerly was going to be that option (otherwise there was no reason why so many of our coaches and players were following her on social media even though she never officially entered the transfer portal); something changed along the way. Regardless, it was a miscalculation.

One year ago, Vic probably thought that Kyndall could play backup PG. Again, another miscalculation as to her ability/willingness to contribute. When he recruited Rori and Kyndall out of high school, he probably thought Kyndall could play SG and provide backup PG minutes; in theory, that made sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I can't remember who pointed it out but most of the elite players who entered the portal took 1 visit, maybe 2, before announcing where they were going. To me, that says they already knew where they were going and had been recruited by the new school before they had even entered the portal. Taking more than 1 visit was a very thinly veiled cover to try to make it appear they hadn't already decided on the new school. The 1 bit of leverage the NCAA had to (minimally) keep players and programs in check when it came to transfers disappeared when the 1-free transfer went into effect. Of course, that rule was largely pushed through because the NCAA's decisions on transfer waivers were wildly inconsistent.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Totally agree! Very disappointing that none of those capable of that role chose us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

People in the transfer portal are looking to better their situation not make a lateral move or get worse. HVL was not going to transfer to a program that her current program beat twice. That's not bettering her situation, she wasn't a bench player for Louisville.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  18. Jacob Johnson

To be fair they never played a fully healthy Texas team. I think the season would have been a lot different had we had Moore and Harmon at the same time for those meetings. I think HVL would’ve paired nicely with Harmon in he backcourt. Not to sure how all those egos and ball dominant players are going to work for LSU but we shall see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Owuso to Penn St

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I find it interesting that this portal thread is 35 pages in about 3 months. Shows a transformation in our discussions mirroring the biggest change in college sports in like…..forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Jacob Johnson

I hope this is Texas related.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’ll take “Schools I NEVER Would’ve Guessed” for $1000, Alex.

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A year ago, Blair would tweet something specific when we were about to land an incoming transfer; forget what it was exactly. But, it wasn't as tame as this tweet.

There is a new rule that allows for the addition of one more paid assistant coach. Wouldn't surprise me if Vic simply internally promotes Sydney Carter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Eventually this thread gets around to Coach Vic quote of not recruiting over younger players and incoming recruits. He obviously beleives in this team. We may as well sit back let season play out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep. The same thing, in so many words, I've been saying. I'll be excited to watch the season progress and unfold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Jacob Johnson

This either has to do with recruiting or something to do with NIL since they had that gathering last night. Possible 2024 commit?:e-eyes:

• Like Like x 2
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Considering these 2 tweets were sent 1 minute apart and the 1st (Vic’s) was related to NIL, I assume the big news pertained to the Texas OneFund.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for those tweets. The "great day to be a Longhorn" might have been what Blair used to tweet when a commitment/transfer announcement was upcoming.

• Agree Agree x 4
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Mulkey clearing space?

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

One has to question the timing of this and also wonder about the timing of player/coach conversations. Why would a player wait until the transfer portal window has closed? KM is absolutely the shrewd type that would hold back telling (or showing) someone they need to move on until she had acquired incoming transfers. Her track record has proven that she will recruit on top of her young players. Eventually they'll catch on just like they did at Baylor where, in her last year, she had only signed one incoming freshman.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023