2023/2024 Portal News

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Danny gets most of his information from this message board. Hi Danny! Keep visiting here for content.

But, if he doesn't understand how Kyndall has hurt her teammates this season by abandoning them, it's because he refuses to see the forest through the trees. I'm glad the team wished her luck; what did he expect them to post out on social media? Anything other than "good luck" and "we'll miss you" would make them look jaded. I'm sure they are happy (that she's moving on); they deserve teammates who they can rely on and will have their backs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Personally, I think Matharu and Vic parted on amicable terms. Like you said, she was at Vic's home with the rest of the team for a meal (and I think it was the same weekend Gonzales was visiting) prior to entering the transfer portal; that led me to believe her future (departure) from Texas had already been discussed. For whatever reason, they just weren't on the same page when it came to her playing time, starting games, foul trouble, etc.; but, she didn't abandon her teammates during the season even when things got tough for her or weren't going how she'd prefer. She toughed it out, even stayed for the summer semesters and was working out with her teams (we all saw the videos).

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’ve not uttered a disparaging word about Kyndall because of the mental health aspect, but I’m sorry, I don’t see the mental health shield exempting somebody from being held accountable when it comes to taking the high road on their way out. I personally think she could have shown some sort of humility and even an apology to her teammates that she couldn’t fulfill her commitment to the team, but I know that’s asking too much because she couldn’t even announce her departure with some grace. Of course her only appearance at Moody being the Tech game spoke volumes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

His article almost seems to magnify the negativity in Hunter's statement, while making sure to mention the only game she ever did anything in hitting the seven 3's. He seems messy and it's not the first time that thought has crossed my mind. Danny has asked about Hunter a time or two during media conferences. I've always felt with him there's been a slight tone of nonsupport for Vic.
    Print that, Danny.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

vic needs to get on it
    After posting this Blaire started following her

• Like Like x 8
  7. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

On Jayda’s IG, she is followed by Coach Lovato, Coach Carter, Coach Blair, Rori, and Jordana Codio.

Not sure how long they’ve been “following” her but it’s encouraging that there are connections.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am seeing some of those same follows on Jayda's IG; and, I see on Blair and Elena's IG page that Jayda is at the top of those accounts they are following. Definitely recent. Don't see Carter, Rori, or Codio; but, my IG doesn't always refresh.

• Like Like x 3
  10. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Davis' criticism of the fans is a bit harsh. There may be more to the story, but all the fans know is that she accepted a scholarship and a spot on the roster that could have gone to someone else, and that we have sorely needed another shooter on the team this year--and still do. Based on that, he could hardly expect Hunter to receive the fond farewell given to other players who have transferred, like C Taylor, Warren, and Matharu who gave all they had to the team while at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For Davis to call folks "losers" is so out of line and unprofessional. Hey Danny, you suck for that!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps Danny will get the chance to ask CDC why she was so grateful to him and how often he intervenes in situations like this if that was the case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I saw a great video a few months ago that really turned the light bulb on for me about portal recruiting. An Okie St. beat reporter was talking about all of the football players leaving coach Gundy's program. He said Gundy used to absolutely detest the transfer portal, but he has just recently had a revelation about the portal that tells him it should be a major part of roster building from now on. Here's why:
    1. With portal players, you have some history to judge them on. How did they take to being coached? How did they handle no longer being the superstar or not getting the reps they thought they deserved? So you have less chances of getting a head case on your roster, and you know who is already a head case that you want to avoid;
    2. With undergrad portal players, you generally don't have to worry about them transferring out again because they'd have to sit a year if they left again. So the portal players are actually less risky than bringing in a new player.

These are really good points. I think the same rationale applies in WBB recruiting, and even more so b/c of the smaller roster sizes allowed. I'm still all for trying to recruit great talented HS players. But I think we've seen this year what a huge difference it made to have great portal talent and I'm all for keeping it going.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, where do folks think Kyndall will end up?

I could see Arkansas and Oklahoma as options since they are all about offense, and don't really play or emphasize defense.

Baylor and A&M both have a lot of scholarships available for next season; proximity-wise, they'd make sense for her to remain relatively close to her home in Houston (if that is one of her priorities).

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Speaking of Baylor, I saw on Kennedy Cambridge's IG page that she started following Nikki Collen. and Courtney Banghart (UNC). She also started following GeorgiaBasketball and their head coach.

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I would think A&M might be really attractive since she and Rori are from the Cypress area which is far NW Houston. Aggieland is about an hour from there. New coach, totally different than Vic, young players, and maybe a program with a good future even though they struggled so badly this year. There's should be plenty of playing Time.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Tech, so she can be with her little buddy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

While this makes a lot of sense, I think the dumpster fire Tech program will certainly get some serious consideration. It seems that proof of your theory about the rat behind all of this just gets stronger each day. First, on Monday, it looks like Whackjob Chevalier tweeted this little gem, perhaps from the scrolls of Socrates himself (LOL), which Kyndall then quickly retweeted:

The very next day, Kyndall posted her "God's Plan" tweet, which Chevalier then quickly retweeted. So we know that the love fest between the disturbed and the gullible started a long time ago (as was evident from tons of social media posts), and their shared suffering formed a strong bond that was, sadly, even stronger than the one Kyndall should have had with her own teammates. I'm sure it was also Chevalier's idea to go crying to CDC to get a free scholarship without having to give anything back in return. So the whole manipulative circle is now complete. I think Kyndall will either follow her leader to the golden dessert (where fitness and sportsmanship are optional things), or will go somewhere close to home as you have suggested. But whoever the coach is at the new destination, they need to understand what they are getting. The tea leaves are all over the internet.

• Agree Agree x 7
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I have to wonder if Gerlich will survive more than next season at Tech. She might have avoided the guillotine this month mainly because Tech had to deal with firing their men's hoops coach and the bad publicity surrounding that issue.

She has completed the third year of her five-year contract; no news of any extension, and I doubt she'll get one any time soon. So, she's recruiting players with no guarantee she'll be around for more than 2 seasons at most; potential incoming transfers should be wary of that, even Kyndall.

Gerlich staying at Tech another season and continuing to fail to make the NCAA tourney might guarantee that 2025 Aaliyah Chavez leaves Lubbock for her college career; on the other hand, she might just love Tech regardless of the coach situation and want to play in front of family and friends. I don't know Chavez's priorities with recruiting, but seems like she's only visited Tech and Texas unofficially since the school year began. Gerlich staying longer means they won't bring in a capable head coach any time soon.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  20. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Insightful response, IMO. Also IMO—which is referenced in said response—the relationship between “these two” is built on sand. Though we may not be witness to it, it will be interesting when one or both of them realizes the falseness on which their camaraderie is built. Lack of life experience is not a crime but is often one of the best teachers. I hope they both learn valuable, positive life lessons that will propel them forward. But, until then . . .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

You would think Gerlich is gone soon, but she’s got the fan base eating out of her hands with all the smoke & mirrors. I’ve never seen a bad comment from them on social media and it’s a big sample I’ve endured lol

She’s currently getting all kinds of kudos for “taking this program to the post season” for the first time in years. They all agree she’s got it headed in the right direction even though there’s not really much data to support that. Winning a national championship as a player and being native panhandle are high school athlete has apparently given her quite a safety blanket. I don’t know what she’s getting paid but maybe it’s worth it as long as the fan base is satisfied “with the direction the program is headed”. Plus they greatly enjoy her fashion sense which I find very comical (both her fashions and their love for it). It will be really interesting to see how long this goes on. As much as they want it, I don’t think she’ll have a freeway named after her.

Make no mistake she’ll go hard after Kyndall

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Personally I hope they keep her for a long time. She's .500 against Vic's Texas teams so that's equivalent to a Final Four showing for them even though they're consistently near the bottom of the Big XII. :rolleyes1: She should do better when OU and we are gone from the conference, and she's got UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati to face. No doubt her recruitment of Hunter has been going on for six months or so already.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

IMHO, Gerlich is perfect for tech and will survive for a while. She’s a throwback to the glory days of the Marsha Sharp era, a West Texas native, just what the fans want. It will be interesting to see how long a .500 or less record will keep them happy, assuming they can achieve that in the new conference configuration. They will have to find someone new to resent. Tech now has a good football coach, by all accounts, so that should keep folks happy while athletic admin cleans up men’s bball. Bottom line is that we ‘re still better, classier, more respected and have a better coach! :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  24. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

In my opinion people are going to be surprised by the lack of interest in Kendall. She comes with too much baggage. As a college coach do you see a dependable hard working team player that will contribute to your program and the team’s chemistry? Maybe if you are really desperate? Be interesting to see how this plays out!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm almost tempted to make a grid chart of all the coaches Kirby Hocutt has hired and fired, along with the reasons for those firings. However, since the list would be too long I'm afraid I might miss out on name!

She's a Tech-ex, so far she hasn't physically, mentally, or racially abused any of her players. She'll get time. Kirby's too busy trying to raise money to pay for all the other coaches' buyouts.

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

If you are a college coach, then you would need your assistants to dig into the fact that she's disappeared from the team twice in her two years at Texas. And you can't approach the Texas assistants directly. And, any bad-mouthing from Texas will eventually end up in a lawsuit. So they're gonna keep their mouths shut.

But they'll look at her one, shining moment where she shot seven 3's in a game and say, "It must have been the Texas coaching staff"

Reminds of a contract programmer I had fired due to incompetence who immediately turned around and asked me to be friends on LinkedIn. Uhhhh, no.

This is it, all she has to show for 2 years:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Exactly why I feel Danny's article had a twist of sabotage to it. He made sure he mentioned the one game she had to brag about, while also quoting her saying she was looking for a program that would genuinely care about her. That's low-key throwing shade IMO.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  29. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Don’t know much about either

30. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts