2023 Offseason

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's great that we get to play in Shaylee's home state of Arizona.

On the downside, if Louisiana Tech was worth mentioning, that means the home non-conference schedule is gonna be another snoozer with the exception of UConn.

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Vic needs to get some games on the East Coast for exposure, even if that means we don't get a return game at home. There are plenty of ACC teams that would be good for SOS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If you think about it, the series against Stanford, Tennessee, Arizona, and South Florida were all done under Aston. I forget if Vic or Aston signed the recent UConn series, but it has been postponed at least 2 seasons. Hard to believe that after 3 seasons Vic has not been able to bring in any quality non-conference opponents to Austin; I guess maybe Princeton.

I honestly don't know the real reason why Vic is having so much trouble getting teams to come to Austin. Walz and Louisville doesn't strike me as someone who avoids tough non-conference matchups; that would be a no-brainer series, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps schools (such as Louisville) already had multi year agreements in place when Vic got to Texas. I am confident Vic is not running from competition. Perhaps these things take time too.

I personally am not a fan of the Bahamas & Virgin Islands type of early season tournaments especially if they aren’t televised or streamed, but it does afford competitive opponents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jun Chou

Jun Chou 25+ Posts

I mean, lets be honest... People in Austin do not support women's basketball. Its sad that the citizens of Austin will pack the moody center for the men and not women. The city, itsself, is giving sexist. If Vic can sell out arena in a rural Mississippi town then he can do the same in Austin with a population of over 1 mill, with ease. Its rather embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  8. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Am so happy that you joined Hornfans last Thursday and have such wisdom to share regarding Austin and Texas women's basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jun Chou

Jun Chou 25+ Posts

What is your point? Some people just hate to be wrong, I see.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well you might be wrong about your Austin assumptions. Most schools have higher attendance at men’s games than the women (unfortunately). If Austin is sexist so is the rest of the world so it’s not a unique observation. Secondly in most cases, the bigger the city the harder to fill the arena but unlike your little rural areas like Starkville, it’s not the only game in town and there’s a lot more happening to compete with home games (where most if not all are televised).
    Texas WBB attendance is increasing and it’s probably somewhere in the Top 20 in the country and was number one and outnumbered men’s attendance at one point during its heyday. And while I’ve been attending Texas home games for decades even though i live in Dallas, I didn’t buy season tickets until Vic was hired.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. leanderhorn

leanderhorn 25+ Posts

Wrong on every point

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Mmmm, going to have to strongly disagree with you there. You can only speak with authority if you've been a WBB fan and living in Austin since the Jody Conradt days.

For a few years, Texas led the nation in WBB attendance. Not saying that's true anymore by all means. But I was there in the stands when they regularly opened up the upper deck of the Erwin Center.

The attendance record from the NCAA for the 2022-2023 year:
    [​IMG]

2022-2023: #11, 104,288
    2021-2022: #22, 61,869
    2020-2021: #18, 9,995 [Covid protocols with limited attendance]
    2019-2020: #29, 58,213 [Karen Aston's last year]

Vic has grown the program, but Moody has really pushed attendance through the roof (for Texas)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

There's so many other outdoor events, lakes, concerts, other sports teams, museums, art shows, etc. in Iowa City, Ames, Baton Rouge and Lubbock it's amazing anyone attends women's basketball games. Especially in the winter.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep, those places offer unlimited and unmatched cultural options. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Go back to your own boards sand aggie or fake baPtist. You've done a lousy job concealing your hate for Texas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Would be great if Vic could get a game in Houston the same day as the men's team like we did in Dallas this past season. I'd rather it not be against LSU so it doesn't help them recruiting the area; maybe UCLA like many years ago under Aston.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  18. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

YIPPEE! Shaylee put in a tremendous amount of effort and work and became a valuable team asset. Very happy she's returning.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I'm a hard pass on this idea of doing anymore double headers with the men. If we want to play neutral site games, partner up with another women's program from our conference or do it on our own. I went to the games in Las Vegas and Dallas. Our men's games were fairly well attended and as soon as they were over the majority of our Texas fans couldn't head for the exits fast enough.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I guess. But, as a Texas fan I'd rather watch 2 games involving Longhorns teams than attend a game which doesn't involve a Longhorns team. Might be a good idea to play the women's game first.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I was very annoyed with Longhorns fans as I walking up to the American Airlines arena for the WBB game against USC, passing waves of burnt orange headed to the parking lots.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I get that.

But, the game was nationally broadcast on one of the ESPN channels. Even though "our" fans didn't fill the seats like we'd have hoped, playing in the metroplex and on television provided lots of benefits (exposure and recruiting).

Let's face it. That game doesn't get televised (and neither does Baylor's) if both men's teams weren't playing in games of their own that same day at American Airlines arena; the men's hoops games were the reason the ESPN crews and cameras were there; the women's teams benefited.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Rori invited to the inaugural "Dawg" class. 1 of 9 chosen from WBB.

"Plum and UA are launching a first-of-its-kind mentorship program, the Dawg Class, that will give 9 women’s basketball players, all personally selected by Plum, the opportunity to participate in a three-day experience and learn directly from the Las Vegas Aces star and WNBA champion. The camp will feature on-court drills meant to help refine their skills, as well as sessions on training and recovery."

"Players will also have the chance to learn more about media training, mental health, finance, nutrition and how to express their personal style. The program is meant to truly prepare them for what’s ahead while giving them all the tools needed to navigate that transition."

Introducing Dawg Class with Kelsey Plum

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

25. Jun Chou

Jun Chou 25+ Posts

This is the point I was making while people in here got all in their feelings.

• poop poop x 1
  26. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Since I may be one of the last around here to put you on mute (thanks for the reminder btw), that is NOT the point you tried to make, which was refuted and completely annihilated with data that said otherwise when you stated that “Austin does not support women’s basketball and is sexist” or something along those lines. You are not worth going back and looking at the exact quote to be honest. Not even close.

To try to correlate Texas men’s basketball fans attending a game in DALLAS or Las Vegas to Austin in general is ludicrous in and of itself. People here didn’t get all up in their feelings, they handed you your *** on a platter with facts that the attendance record in Austin have already proven you WRONG yet you show up to troll but instead just embarrass yourself…badly! Bye Felicia!

I was really hesitant to feed the troll, but thought in the long run it might serve as a reminder to put this “Texas fan” on mute (like it did me).

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  27. Jun Chou

Jun Chou 25+ Posts

You sound old and ornery. I could care less what you think. It is clear that people in Austin support the men more than they do the women. Pull up those stats. Compare that data. I said what I said. I could care less about being on mute. You're mad that I stated the obvious? ..That people in MS would pack out a coliseum quicker and consistently better than the people in Austin? And look at all the bribing(donate thousands of dollars to get people to by tickets) Vic has to do get people in the Moody Center. If you support women's basketball, YOUR SUPPORT IT! You should have to bribe the community to come watch a good program play. He did not have to do any other that in Starkville-- a rural city with less population. Vic and those girls deserve better. You got a current Top 5 coach and 75 percent of the moody center is not consistently filled? Thats pathetic just like your previous post! BYE FELICIA! And do not even consider responding because you are now "ignored"

28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

So, what is the process for "ignoring" someone?

29. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Click on “the chosen’s” name at the top of one of their replies/posts. The option to ignore is listed on a single line, with a few other options, below the orange Hornfans logo.

30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts