2023 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 15, 2018.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Arch gets sent home from playoffs..........not a very good stat line either........University High from Baton Rouge mudholed them 49-13........8-of-21 passing, 96 yards, 2 INTs, plus 1 rushing TD and 1 fumble

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

QE has been suspect since the 6-A Championship game his Junior year. He was not the best QB on the field in that game, but he showed the same "where am I" tendencies that we all saw this season.

3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

maybe we should recruit university high's QB

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

No doubt Klubinek was the better qb on the field that day and I thought would be better in college as well. Not sure if binder boy screwed that recruiting up or if we were so locked in on QE that he never pursued Klubinek. Maybe QE will work out but he does not appear to be as accurate. I just wish Sark would have at least given Card some play in the games that QE couldnt find his receivers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am almost tired of recruiting #1 QBs. LOL.
    Give me those lesser known ones who play with fire in their bellies.
    This is the same situation with choosing a restaurant to eat at. Do you want to eat at a high profile restaurant or a hole-in-the-wall restaurant which you like better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am a Klubnik believer also. But that is water under the bridge.
    I haven't given up on Ewers for next year. Plenty of time for him to review his play and perhaps gain a new mentality.
    I expect Card to be gone so we will need someone else to be ready to play.
    Sark better be ready to pull Ewers if he is playing awful.
    I imagine Sark will have his QB manage a game instead of letting him be the star of the game especially if we have Bijan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

PomPoms,

Found your comment interesting. When Fred was coach, I once told him that considering his success with recruiting top QB (starting with Shepherd) and the kids that did a great job (McEachern, Brewer, et al), maybe he should stick to recruiting all other positions, then go out to the intramural fields and find a QB.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I also agree that Card is gone. I am confident that this is part of the reason we never saw him late in the season. What's the take on Murphy? Could he be a star that everyone has forgotten about? He was an Elite11 QB.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  9. ATX_Horns

ATX_Horns 250+ Posts

I would think that it will be Murphy backing up / competing with Ewers. Card will leave and I don't see Sark bringing in a portal QB, with Arch on his way in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

with Ewers Murphy and Manning, that is a lot of 4 and 5 star talent. Is it too much to ask for one of those to be a breakout game changer?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Ewers reminds me of Rocky Balboa.
    He just needs to find His heart, and then add to it determination.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. ATX_Horns

ATX_Horns 250+ Posts

The talent is clearly there. He did miss a lot of playing time with skipping his senior year, and sitting at Ohio St. I think his growth this year was a little mismanaged in that Sark was trying to put it on his shoulders in some of the early games. If we had committed ourselves to the run game at the beginning of the season and stayed that course; I feel Ewers would have grown more into the position. But hey, I'm just a dude in a chat group.

13. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Enough with the QE crabbing. The kid is a Freshman! Playing behind a OL of Freshmen, who will be top 3 in the nation in a year or so. That is, if this board doesn’t run them off because they arent Justin Blalock in year one. We have an offense built around a fabulous RB who teams load up on. Young OL who make an ole block or two. So, we dont win the Big XII after a 5-7 and all are ready for new everything from the head coach down. There is no team in America, period/period, with more cant-miss QB whiffs than Texas. Bill Bradley, Joe Norwood, Shea Morenz, Todd Dodge, etal. We average one per year since 1956! No small part of that failure is over heated expectations distorting the already tremendous pressure on 18 year olds. There is no greater three year maturation that exceeds that of young men from 18-21.

Now, lets layer on the mayhem of the transfer portal and building a team is like building a sand castle on the incoming tide. Team chemistry isnt something you give guys a week to get straight or run them off. Hell, Worthy lives with Ewers! If they cant build chemistry, who can?
    Coach Royal, when asked what it takes to win a National championship, said “first thing is Notre Dame has to lose a game”. The pure luck necessary to win a championship is astounding. Injuries, off-days, other teams luck, the weather, ad nauseum. Get expectations in trim and give these coaches and players a chance to succeed. Look at a picture of DKR in 1976 then in 1986. He looks ten years younger, ten years later. There is no higher pressure job in sports than HC at UT. Lay off a little.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Great points.....let's see if we can adhere to these thoughts!

• Like Like x 1
  15. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah! 'Cause I so fondly remember how sweet it was watching Tyrone Swoopes try to throw the ball.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. longhornlegend

To think we took swoops instead of the other kid that went to Ohio State and set the world on fire.

18. longhornlegend

Burnt orange glasses allow us to think its more stress at Texas than it is at ou,Ohio State, etc. Yes we have high expectations and rightfully so. I think CDC is much like Deloss and he has made some good hires. Lets hope that Sark and co continue to progress. 5 wins, 8+ wins and hopefully next year its back to 10+.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm pretty sure almost no one under the age of 40 reads this board so Im fairly certain we have little influence over player opinions. Ive seen boards with 20 somethings posting and I'm thankful they aren't here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  21. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  22. longhornlegend

If Card leaves which I wouldnt blame him at all, remember that although Murphy has been running scout team, he also has a full year and will be 2 by next fall so he is not green. Hoping he is what Sark thought he was and gets some shots at competing. Lord knows we need some accuracy at QB and for whatever reason, QE just hasnt shown that much this year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. longhornlegend

Given this years QB issues and the drops by receivers its hard to judge whether marion was a good hire or not. Just give us some solid QB/WR play and we would all be happy and closer to that 10+ win scenario we all want!

24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  25. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  26. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  27. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  28. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

List of early enrolees

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Wait, I was told we shouldn’t be happy with 8-4. These folks alone make a top 10 class.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2