2023 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 15, 2018.

1. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

2. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Heavy aggie lean. We have a big uphill battle here.

3. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

7. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

8. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Well, it would certainly end college sports in California. But, that might be no great loss. In a state where comelessness has more current value than a psych degree from any of the universities, anything is possible. Please make the law immediate, not some jive 5 years lag!

9. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Senate Bill 1401, named the “College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act,” cuts right to the heart of the collegiate model and the ideals of amateurism. SB 1401 would require California schools to share 50% of annual revenues in football and men’s and women’s basketball with the athletes, initiating a new era of “pay for play” — and what college sports leaders fear would be a doomsday scenario for athletic departments that currently use profits from revenue sports to fund their non-revenue sports programs.

My Editorial comment: WTH does race or gender have to do with this issue ? :idk:

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is in opposition to funding women’s sports. Never going to happen.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

BA,

Likely step 1. Step 2 will call for visiting teams from out of state to share their revenue with Cali-prune-ya similar to partners in law firms having to pay state taxes to states in which they do not reside.

12. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

This likely belongs elsewhere, i.e. other than recruiting. I’m guilty as well, but don’t know how to move it.

13. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

On3 reporting S Derek Williams of New Iberia, LA will be in Austin at the end of this month.

He wants to major in mechanical engineering.

Derek Williams, Westgate, Safety

• Like Like x 3
  14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  15. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

june 24th shaping up to be a big weekend for visits ... 4* OT

• Like Like x 1
  16. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

17. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

lol if true ...

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mack Brown did it

20. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes. I recall that.
    I don’t disagree, you can’t be held hostage on one indecisive kid that prevents you from going after another.
    This whole “I’m 100% Committed “ while still traveling the country to take visits is strange.
    I’d tell a kid, look go take visits, then commit to us and we commit to you. But if you play the field , then we will look elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

With NIL this becomes mostly irrelevant. If you don't want them taking other visits increase the NIL offer to the point of why risk a high Texas' NIL offer just to go visit another school? (The assumption is Texas will match and surpass NIL offer if they really want the player.)

22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Seems simple.
    They visit other schools.
    You visit other recruits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Wait until the fans/season ticket holders see how much the ticket prices jump up.

24. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

It is one thing for a school to look elsewhere if you have not committed but to pull an offer from a non-commit because he is not ready to commit and wants to take other visits to be sure is stupid imo unless his spot is taken by a commit

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hope you have the opportunity to meet and discuss this with Mack Brown. I can think of at least two top rated QBs that we stopped recruiting. Both went on to start at other major programs, although neither became a starter in the NFL, then again neither did Chris Sims or Garrett Gilbert

28. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

was Mitch Mustain (Arkansas) one of those ? I do not recall the second one

29. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Many times a higher ranked recruit who ‘might’ commit dissuades another from coming over. In today’s world of social media, it is possible (likely) that recruit groups might conspire to clog another school’s hierarchy with ‘possible’ interest where none exists. In coach Royal’s days you were 100% in or he declared you 100% out. That counted for Jack Mildred and Joe Wiley level players too. If we can’t (we as a national college football group) get some rules around NIL, there will be no such thing as recruiting. As it was in the SMU ‘death penalty’ days, without some legal culpability for alums/consortium who make the payments, no NCAA or CFA rules will ever have any teeth. If this is to become AAA minor league NFL (which is where it is with transfer and $1MM money for 17 YO’s) all this is essentially moot. He is a Heisman candidate one year and transfers for 2X money and is a Heisman candidate elsewhere year two. With zero college credits BTW, to show for education portion of scholarship. Man, I hate it, but that’s where this is. And other than a dozen or so super well endowed schools, UT, OU USC, aTm, ND, maybe Mich and OSU, there will be a tier 2 who can’t throw the NIL $$$ around.

30. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

See “other Randon off season” topics.