2023 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 15, 2018.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Agree! Always! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I read this in Dr McCoys voice from Star Trek 4.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

22 & HFS, thanks for your comments. I thought that I was the Lone Ranger.

The purpose of HF and this forum is to express opinions. OrangeClad certainly has that right. He has drawn the conclusion — and has emphasized it ad nauseam — that the Texas staff is making bad decisions with respect to star ratings and that the players they have collected, particularly the OLs, are inferior. Basically, that we “settled.”

Again, he has every right to question their decisions. But as I have stated previously, if the same staff played to the whistle in December of last year, seeking and landing players like Kelvin Banks, Devon Campbell and Cam Williams, wouldn’t it be a logical to conclude that in this cycle, if in June they’re taking three star OLs and perhaps some projects, they probably know what they’re doing? After all, based on the success in the last cycle, they certainly could have waited.

He is deferring to the judgment of services like Rivals, 247, On3 and others. I am deferring to the judgment of coaches like Flood & Sark, and the strategy they have in place.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Dallas is a phony, “look at me” city. It doesn’t surprise me that Arch had an unprecedented impact on that pretentious city. Oh well, I guess OU will suck moving forward and aggy will take their place as a national contender.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

Totally agree. Not his first post of this nature. I stopped reading his stuff long time ago.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It is what happens in Dallas in October that I am concerned about.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What we have no way of knowing, and the "services" cannot divulge, is a kid's attitude and ability to adapt to the TEAM/me structure. Many, if not all, 4 & 5 stars are the "stud" of their HS. Their's don't stink. The coaches know this and have ways of finding out. I'd much rather have a 3 star with a great attitude and work ethic than a five star no teammate can stand to be around.

We have seen in 2019 & 2020 that a couple of rotten apples pretty well destroyed morale, productivity, and had a great impact on financial and political support.

Over the years, I have seen recruiting gurus come and go, seen enough of them "selling" ratings to parents, and seen a kid get an offer and go from unrated to 3 or 4 stars based on that offer. Those "gurus" are looking for revenue and clicks. Those coaches are looking to stay employed. Which would you trust?

FWIW, the best "recruiting guru" The University of Texas ever had was an uneducated pig farmer from Eagle Lake. Guy could get any kid to talk to him, and if he told you something you could take it to the bank.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

^^^^ Ken Dabbs?

9. 2003TexasGrad

Hot take alert!

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ken was really great and is an outstanding human being. I was referring to someone not on staff, but then when we had coaches that flat out lied to us about what they did or had done. Examples:

1) I'm having a business lunch with the father of a blue chip LB. I call the coach recruiting him and he tells me all about his in home visit. Over lunch, I dropped a thank you for hosting the coach and that I was told they had a great visit. Turned out our coach had never been to their home.

2) Coach goes on statewide radio and blasts our kids for being "slow", "no speed". Two time State spring champion wants to sign with Texas. Coach claims on radio he went to pick kid up, and he left with RC before coach got there. Coach couldn't tell me whether you turn left or right to get to the house.

I would trust Ken Dabbs with one hundred cents of my last dollar. Indeed, he found some jewels in the rough.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

On DE Colton Vasek of Austin Westlake...IT is hearing that it's down to Oregon and Texas.

One source said that the staff is in a good position after his official visit, while a separate source thinks he prefers to go away from home.

However, going away from home was apparently the idea BEFORE Manning committed, and Manning has formed close friendships with the Westlake guys.

They say don't be surprised if Vasek shows up for the July BBQ.

• Like Like x 2
  12. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  13. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

DL Jamarious Brown (Moss Point, MS) and DE Ta'Derius Collins (Shreveport, LA) will be in Austin for the July recruiting event.

Jamarious Brown, Moss Point, Edge

• Like Like x 3
  14. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  15. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Green has confirmed that he will be here.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Duce Robinson ( 5* for those concerned with stars) the number 1 tight end in the country from Az has confirmed he will be here for the bama game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

There is still another commit out there primed to announce, according to TFB. There are two others that are leaning toward committing.

• Like Like x 3
  18. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I want Baxter!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

Hint at the timeline :confused2:

• Like Like x 2
  21. 2003TexasGrad

I want pictures of Spiderman!

22. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Right on cue.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Baxter would be good, Hill would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  24. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

well, I think you missed the point. Perhaps you were simply poised and ready to flame from my previous posts. I actually posted this because I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged we were that high, even with the 3 stars we’ve brought in. Considering we have 5 or 6 of them, depending on which service you look at, 7th best in average star rating out of 131 teams is pretty awesome.

actually no. Only handle I’ve ever had. And I’ve been a reader pretty much since day 1. Sorry to disappoint.

25. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

You should read more carefully. Nobody on here has said a negative word about a one of them. That said, success percentages based on several decades of data has been quoted and yes, the numbers are not as positive for the low 4 and 3 star recruits. It’s also been stated numerous times that there are exceptions and some of those recruits turn out to be successful, even studs, but I guess you missed that the 10+ times it’s been stated. But, by all means let’s not state any facts because they might hurt somebody’s feelings. Let’s assume those lower rated guys don’t believe in themselves and don’t believe they can be one of the exceptions and for God’s sake, let’s certainly not put any expectations on them or pressure them to work hard to prove they are as good as the higher rated recruits. Let’s just give them their participation award now, pat them on the back and tell them they are just as good as Warren Sapp, or Tom Brady.

26. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

Completely agree with your first paragraph, but of course it then begs a couple of questions: 1. What is our #1 goal - NC level team or team of good guys? 2. How do the big boys do it, either find enough high rated good guys or still win with the bad attitudes?

I used to agree with your 2nd paragraph. How in the world could a bunch of journalists accurately rate HS players and why would I ever trust them to do it? Well, because 2 decades worth of data comparing HS journalist picked ratings compared to NFL draft selections proved them very accurate, relatively speaking. I don’t like admitting it either. It looks and sounds dumb. But, the numbers don’t lie. Sports moving to analytics has been difficult. Everyone wants to trust the old way, that old crusty coach who looks at the kid running across the field with the bull chasing behind him and sees his next star running back. It’s a good story, better movie. Feels good. But when analyzing the data, that method just isn’t as successful in the W/L column nor ultimate success of the player ..at least nowadays.

The flamers on here call me negative, say I’m hurting feelings, say I don’t trust the coaches, that I keep repeating myself, etc.,etc. But the facts are the facts, and data is the data. and I only repeat myself when they keep telling the story of the old coach and kid running from the bull.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  27. TheHornSupremacy

TheHornSupremacy < 25 Posts

Yes, how could I possibly have missed such obvious enthusiasm? It’s often difficult to discern anything other than the constant teaching of lessons that we’re all here to apparently learn from you.

Here’s one: it is not always about the words one types or uses, but instead about the inferences gathered by those who read or hear them. “Perhaps” I am not the only one who missed the point.

28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I agree with hornsupremacy. I wrote about your excessive and unnecessary negativity a long time ago. It was bad then and you are still doing it. Its like you have something against people being happy about something, in our context, its about recruiting success. Yes we have more 3 stars than i would like to have and our average rating puts us around 5 or 6 but we are doing really well recruiting to go along with last years class. Its time to rejoice not to be a party pooper. Yes there is work still to be done to win it all but the ship is turning around. It started with new coaches and now we are getting better players.
    I think if you won a hundred million dollar lottery you would be sad that it wasnt two hundred million dollars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1