2023 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Who’s next? Maybe this guy … 4* WR … we will know this week

• Like Like x 4
  2. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

I'm trying really hard not to become a recruiting fanboy. But with signings like Mitchell and all that has happened after Arch's commitment...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  4. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

our 247 and Rivals team ranking did not move with the new commit.:confused2:

5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m thrilled with the class, as are most of us. The key to push it over the top would be to snag a top LB (Hill?) and a disruptive rush end. Regardless of how the services might rate the class (ICCL), the addition of those two players/positions would be IMHO about as good as it gets.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 5
  7. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I think UT gets Hill. Baxter at RB.
    And at least 1 more ATH/WR in Pettaway and or Pilot.
    Throw in a few more DL, another LB and 3 DB
    OU and TAMU are missing on multiple fronts. I say that as I consider them the main competition? Aggie ran out of money and until Venables proves himself, recruiting is going to be tougher this year.
    I know that these early verbals are nothing more than a strong lean, but if UT can put forth a solid season- it will lock them in. IF Aggie doesn’t live up to their hype (again), Jimbos leadership becomes even more erratic - players bail.. OU struggles somewhat to 8 wins…( I think they will) and Saban retires… things could get interesting for Texas.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  8. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

IT reporting CB Javien Toviano of Arlington Martin is looking hard at visiting Texas at the end of July for the recruiting BBQ.

He mentioned the momentum Texas has right now has been difficult to ignore.

• Like Like x 7
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  10. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I want Baxter, hill, toviano, another solid defensive tackle and one more good cb and I’ll call this class near perfect.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

IT has a feature they call "yes, maybe, or no" for recruiting updates every couple of weeks, and they had the following guys listed as signing with Texas as of today.

RB, Cedric Baxter, Jr., Edgewater (Orlando, FL)
    WR, Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple
    DL, Terrance Green, Cypress Woods
    DL, Hunter Osborne, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL)
    LB, Derion Gullette, Marlin
    LB, Anthony Hill, Jr., Denton Ryan
    CB, Jordan Matthews, Woodlawn (Baton Rouge, LA)
    CB, Malik Muhammad, Dallas South Oak Cliff

• Like Like x 4
  12. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

good grief, that’s way beyond my expectations. If they keep the guys from the previous class and close with these guys in this class they will compete with anyone 2024 and 2023 could be pretty fun.
    Flip side of that, sark won’t have any excuses in 2024 either. It’s up to him to develop and keep these two classes together and of course build upon them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. George Bailey

Can anyone remember us ever having as many OOS kids in a class as we could see this year?

• Like Like x 1
  14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

A bit of a concern - Horns need to lock down the top talent instate. If they're getting the guys they really want instate, it's okay to go outside - but focus instate first. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 3
  16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I used to think this way back when the AAS would put out the Fab 55 every year in the news paper. There was no snapchat, instawhatever where players link up and talk with each other daily. Think about it, a player would have to find another players actual phone number to call and recruit...too hard. Back then coaches knew if you visited, called and recruited well you should be able to lock down much of the top 20 in state talent because the only real competitors were whatever teams were hot and in the papers, then also Notre Dame.

Now it's too easy to share information and have players recruit nationwide so if you put your eggs in that "Tx only" basket you could get burned big time. I think it's smart to go coast to coast offering the best of the types of athletes you're looking to fit the O and D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Fair point. It’s a bit of a balancing act. Personally I’d prefer that we get the best available players, wherever they are. I do get the argument of being loyal to the state and the high school system and
    coaches, but I believe that “best available” trumps that approach.

One of the advantages of best available versus in-state is that if in-state players are wavering, they will see that Texas might not wait for them. Translation: leverage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I, too, want to pick the best The Great Republic has to offer. As I screamed when Strong was coach, there are cultural differences between Florida kids and Texas kids, and it will prove divisive.

That said, the State has good OL year and not so good OL years. Same is true of every position. For that reason alone, I am pleased that Sark and staff are making inroads around the country. The State will continue to produce more scholarship athletes than any other as it has for decades (thank you to the great HS coaches in state), and I want the best of the best but don't mind some "fur-in-ners" when we need them and they are better than what we have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

He's reached out to the UT staff.
    Apparently, Jarrett and Mitchell are close friends. Georgia boards considered them a package deal.

• Like Like x 7
    • Hot Hot x 2
  20. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

If this stands up and we hold what we have, this will be a monster step in the right direction. Several have said that Sark has everything in place. I still contend that PK is the weak link. At 2m+, last years D was totally unacceptable. When we lost Jacoby Jones at the cotton bowl, it severly hampered our d. Hard to stomach that 1 guy so overwhelmingly impacted our production. Either way, pk is making enough that this should not have been the crippling effect that it was. The greatest thing for Texas would be for pk to step aside and let Gary Patterson run the D.

• poop poop x 2
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't care if PK steps aside, I want to find a way for Patterson to either be on the sideline or in the pressbox with a headset.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I'll go along with you on this, Sabre. As I said in my post, getting the top talent that the staff wants instate needs to be a priority. If the top talent instate for a particular position doesn't match the top out-of-state talent this year, then go for the out-of-state player. But it's critical to maintain great relationships with the high school coaches in Texas so the Horns can come back another year when the instate talent shines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Our 2005 team had 5 contributors who were from out of state and several other freshmen and squadmen.

Our 2009 team had 4 contributors who were from out of state and several other freshmen and squadmen.

We can succeed with primarily in-state recruits, but I agree about the impact of social media forcing us to cast a wider net. In 2022 it's just riskier to presume we will lock down the cream of the crop in Texas, with the SEC having a recruiting presence in addition to the other programs from the B1G who always seem to pick off a couple for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  25. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

Our 1969 team featured Bobby Mitchell, Fred Steinmark and Jim Bertleson.

• Like Like x 5
  26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I for one welcome our out of state overlords!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sark wants errybody. He figures the best will stick, the best 85

• Like Like x 2
  28. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

LB Mitchell committed this evening!! :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  29. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I'd like to add 2 AA's that were also featured on that team (that were not out of state), OT Bob McKay and FB Steve Worster.

Others on that 1969 team got AA mentions or votes. Atessis, Glen Halsell, Cotton Spreyer, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  30. George Bailey

Can't help but think that the coaching staff can overcome cultural differences between kids from other states. And I doubt we'll ever see Sark emulating binder boy and tweaking his nipples on the sidelines as the players look on. The leadership just seems different this time.

ND, ou, and bama seem to be able to win with a national recruiting strategy. I'd like to see it here.

• Like Like x 4