2023 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good. Limiting the gossip is a very good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2nd time in less than 3 weeks Vic has been to a Cedar Park game…

• Like Like x 4
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Cedar Park must be real good. Look forward to seeing them play. The game wasn’t close so the stats don’t mean much. G Maul was in foul trouble and only played 18 minutes and had pedestrian stats. I hope that difnt influence Schaefer et al.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 6
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sangre Naranjada

If he was "influenced" by a mediocre stat line in one game then he would not be a good coach at all. He wouldn't even be much of a good fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Wouldn't worry about 1 game. It's the entire body of work to this point. He obviously sees something he likes.

10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

What I find interesting is how a team can be so dominant in a state semifinal. Their star has a mediocre outing and they still practically double the other team's score. Reminds me of the "Dream Team" the US sent to the olympics, or perhaps the Allen football teams of the past. How does a team get so good? Happy confluence of skilled players, or was there more to it?

11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

G Maul is an unknown to me. Sure she’s ranked high. And has D1 coaches coming to watch. So is she just the best player on a great team. Or does she have that something that sets her apart. Some of ya’ll have seen her multiple times. I trust ya’lls opinions. It sure would help if she puts on a show Saturday.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

From a story someone posted earlier, Maul does have an offer from Texas.

She is a "big" guard at 5'11. I'd describe her as more of slasher / scorer moreseo than a shooter; but, does have 3-point range. Rebounds the ball so very well (which is all about effort). I know some will say that she is probably taller and more athletic than most of the opponents she faces, so rebounding comes with the territory. But, 6'6 Sedona Prince had lousy rebounding numbers in high school; low and behold, that still holds true at Oregon.

Gisella seems like a high-motor high-effort player both on offense and defense. I'm sure that's something Vic loves about her.

• Like Like x 6
    • poop poop x 1
  13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well a big two guard is surely something we need. Codio is a 6’-1” guard but has just had surgery. Codio and Maui fighting it out for 2-guard minutes is a win.

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

That same link mentions Adhel Tac….a 6’-5” center from South Grand Prarie. We can watch her in the game tomorrow night against DeSoto. It doesn’t mention Texas is recruiting her but she is averaging 18 per game. Plus she’s only a sophomore.

• Like Like x 3
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was actually searching twitter for info on Adhel Tac; that's how i stumbled on that article about Zoe Brooks (and Tac).

• Like Like x 1
  18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m really looking forward to both games tonight. I’m teed up for both….7 pm and 8:30 pm. I am also going to watch the Texas-LSU baseball game on my iPad. The first game focusing on Maul and second on Muhammad and Tac. I’m not rooting for any of the teams. Just watching for excellent girls high school basketball. If “forced to testify”…..I am picking Cedar Park and DeSoto.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Gisella can certainly post up shorter players and definitely does not shy away from physical contact . . .

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Just remember these stats from earlier in the season . . .

• Like Like x 2
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Charlie looks so tiny! lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Maul looks like an excellent player. That short clip seems to indicate she’s left handed……switching to left shooting hand on a right handed drive. She’ll need to work on that right hand. I simply love lefties as they have an advantage in basketball…..much like a left handed pitcher in baseball. I have 3 lefties out of 5 grandkids so another reason to love lefties. We need Maul and Jackson……NOW!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Yeah the only aspect of her game that I would say needs work is her using her right hand & driving right. Don’t get me wrong she definitely can but there are times where she should go right but goes left. Shooting is also something that will need to develop but she is a very aggressive player with a high motor and fits Vic’s style of play perfectly. A must get in the 2023 class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Over the past week, 2023 Center, Breya Cunningham has had in-home visits from Oregon and USC. Head coaches and assistant coaching staff from Oregon and USC were all present on the visit and in photo ops with Breya and her family.

As a refresher, Cunningham is the #4 ranked recruit in the 2023 class by ESPN HoopGurlz. She plays for La Jolla Country Day School in California. Texas made Cunningham's Top 8 schools that includes Arizona, UCLA, UConn, Duke, Oregon, USC and Notre Dame. In October, Breya made a quick visit to Texas in route to a tournament in Dallas.

Over the next few weeks/months, it will be interesting to see what other schools in her top 8, have in-home visits with Breya and her family.

• Like Like x 3
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It’ll be tough to get Cunningham out of PAC12 country, although there are several non-west coast teams on her list. October quick visit was a long time ago. With much interest, I’ll be watching too. A nice NCAA tournament run wouldn’t hurt. I was watching Cunane with NC State yesterday. Everything is easier with a dominant center like her. Changes the game.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Agreed - especially in Vic's aggressive man-to-man defense.

This may sound like sour grapes but one of the commentators in the SC-Kentucky game spoke at length as to why Cardoso transferred to South Carolina: development. I'm still trying to come up with a center who Staley has 'developed'. A'ja Wilson was the top player in her class and Boston was #3 in hers. Even before Holmes, Coates was Top 30.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

And to maybe sit 1 or 2 years behind Boston still has me scratching my head...sigh. I for one really thought we were a lock to get her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Impressive for a junior just considering how much D1 talent DeSoto had on their roster.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, considering how highly-regarded 2022 Ashlon Jackson of Hardin-Jefferson is in the recruiting rankings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Hopefully Vic can keep that CyFair Elite pipeline going. As usual, a stacked roster.
    • Rylee Grays
    • Chloe Clardy
    • Gisella Maul
    • DAsia Thomas
    • Justice Carlton (2024)
    • Kendall Snead (2024)
    • Aaliyah Chavez (2025 - U17 team)
    • Alya McDowell (2025 - U17 team)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022