2023 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Haven't seen a trophy taken to a recruit's home either!

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Earlier yesterday I saw Coach Philips post an image of the trophy in a plane, now I know why.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Doesn't look like they were flying commercial, either! :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I remember Imani posting something following the whole NY Liberty private plane scandal about the downgraded travel after she left Texas for the WNBA.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don’t think I’ve ever come across Cokie tweeting at recruits before but this is the second one in as many weeks.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Wagner already recruiting for Texas! Things you love to see:hookem:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

That part

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Gisella Maul started following Sammie Wagner and TexasWBB on Instagram. I'm feeling good about her joining the program . . .

• Like Like x 5
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I stumbled on what I think is her moms Twitter from a liked Calamity tweet. Lots of liked tweets from Texas/coaches. And the same with tech/ coaches, particularly Gerlich.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Vic doesn't follow many recruits at all out on Instagram or twitter. I'm seeing on twitter that he is following Gisella Maul. I can't tell if it's a recent following or not (maybe someone else can share what they see). Regardless, that's definitely a rare thing for Vic to do.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

On top of getting Stephanie Soares as a transfer this year, Iowa state got a commitment from a really good post player in Audrey Crooks. She reminds me of a Courtney Paris type player. Very good feet/ hands and is tough to move. If she improves her conditioning she'll be a quality player. Vic better get on it interms of bringing in post players, specifically the Center position.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  13. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Gisella Maul is announcing on April 25th. It sure would boost our spirits if she announces for Texas.

• Like Like x 5
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Would like to hear @Moooooo thoughts on this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Surprised she's making a move. She's been adamant that she was going to take her official visits and make a decision after that.

I'd like to believe that it's us. We all saw Vic attending several for her playoff games recently, but so did coaches from Baylor and Tech. Based solely on her Instagram photos, we appear to have been her last unofficial visit this past November (photo below). She also visited Alabama (October), Florida (October), Wichita State (October), Kansas State (October), and Baylor (June)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Difficult to determine her skill level without actually seeing her game against a quality opponent. But definitely a big fish in a small pond. Class 1A school. Iowa has 5 classes 1-5.

Like you say, her effectiveness will largely depend on her conditioning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yeah. Didn't you say that she was following Vic or vice versa?

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

This happened less than 3 weeks ago. Just sayin' . . .

• Like Like x 3
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yeah. But she's also following just about every school/coach that's recruiting her. Even schools who she didn't take visits to.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

On Instagram since Wagner committed? I did not notice that. Just looked again and I don't see those follows as being recent.

• Like Like x 1
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I don't know how to tell whether or not it's recent.

22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Viewing Instagram on my laptop has seemed to be more reliable than on my phone as the followings are listed most recent at the top. Gisella's followings show Sammie Wagner as ninth most recent, and TexasWBB as eleventh most recent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Gisella posted the same vid on her twitter account. Liked by 2023 verbal commit, Abbie Boutilier and Coach Elena Lovato; also like by 'Bama's head coach.

• Like Like x 3
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

The interesting thing is that there's no guard coach right now so a commitment to UT would be surprising to me.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Which recruit are you referring to?

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

He is referring to Soares, though she is not a "recruit".

EDIT:
    Oops. Not referring to Soares, but to Audrey Crooks, the big HS girl ISU recruited.

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I guess that's a consideration.

But, on Gisella's post yesterday on Instagram about her upcoming verbal commitment, the following replies/comments were made:

- Aaliyah Moore: "oh yeah WE ALL KNOW"
    - Sammie Wagner: "Ohhh can't wait"

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I wonder about comments like that. They certainly sound good. But it makes me wonder . . . would they say this if they knew she was not going to be their future teammate? Or are they just messing with everyone because they really don't know what her decision will be? One thing that struck me about the sudden change in position yesterday ("haven't narrowed my list of finalists" to - "I have a winner and its coming in 5 days") is in hearing Vic on Tuesday talk about the new arena and how it commands the best team that you can possibly put on the floor. From what I've seen of Gisella, she's got a lot of confidence and even has a bit of flamboyance about her (twitter handle is @GMoneyMaul, drives a Mercedes convertible). If there is a WBB player who is ready made for that arena, its her. Hoping she got to see it and has decided its time to come home.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When Gisella surprisingly posted on IG and twitter yesterday that she would be announcing her college decision in a few days, one of April Phillips' tweets came to mind. I recall when we discussed it there were a few different opinions if it was just general advice, or directed at any Texas targets. We did get the verbal from Wagner shortly afterwards.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I think tomorrow could be a huge day for Texas WBB with the Gisella Maul announcment if it were to go our way.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1