2023 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's easier said than done.

Those programs (UConn, South Carolina, Stanford, Louisville, etc.) who have been fixtures in the Final Four the last few years are the ones who pick and choose from the best high school players across the country. Since Texas hasn't been one of those programs, Vic has to rely on getting the best players in our state/region. In 2021, he was lucky Rori Harmon and Aaliyah Moore were nearby and among the best in the country (nation Top 10). The 2022 and 2023 in-state classes aren't necessarily comparable to 2021. Still, Vic has landed two very good 2023 recruits in Wagner and Maul who will help our program in many ways; they are considered 2 of the top 3-4 players in the state for 2023, and national Top 40 or so overall.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Very good analysis and comparison. Has the motor and does the little things like Celeste did, but looks like a much better shooter, although that is comparing her high school stats so you never really know.

Celeste shot the ball very poorly her entire career at Texas, I haven’t looked up exact stats but I would guess high 30’s percentage wise? Yet we all still talk about how much of an asset and great she was because she did the little things. Watching Giselle she does those things while also making shots.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Absolutely agree! In saying that Maul may not be quite as quick as Celeste, that's no knock. Celeste was EXCEPTIONALLY athletic and quick.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Danny Davis does a great job for Texas WBB with his articles in the Statesman.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Agree 100%. Over the last couple of years they seem to have amped up their coverage of Texas WBB considerably. As fans, the way to keep it going is the key to everything these days - views and likes. Of course, Gisella being local probably helped a great deal.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yes, he actually GOES to the women's games and I see him. The other two: Kirk and Cedric, they just literally "phone it in".

• Like Like x 5
  7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Trust me, Maul is exactly the type of player you don’t let leave the state. Even if she was unranked you still recruit her to your team. Lefty who is the ultimate slasher and when I say slasher I mean she can get to the rim when she wants. Aggressive first step and her ability to finish at the rim is what I’m most impressed with. If she’s not getting a layup at the rim she’s getting to the free throw line.

She’s just an aggressive player who isn’t afraid to get on the floor and dive for loose balls. She has the aggressive nature like Audrey and she can put up points. You won’t ever have to question her buy in and she’s a great teammate from what I’ve seen from her over the years. She’s going to make a name for herself in a Texas uniform:hookem:

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm glad to see Sydney Carter going fast and strong out on Instagram following elite national recruits like Juju Watkins, Aalyah Del Rosario, and Mikaylah Williams. Even though I don't see us having room for more than one (and hopefully still under consideration by Breya Cunningham), I guess if you land just one of them that makes us a better program.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 10
  11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

This isn’t fair. That we have to wait a whole year to see Wagner, Maul and Boutilier in burnt orange. Did I say how excited I am to watch these players? Every year the team seems to be getting stronger. Schaefer has been exceeding with good talent….less than elite. Now expectations are through the roof. How else to figure experts like ESPN ranking us #4 for next year after losing 3 starters and a key back-up. With incoming 3 freshmen, the two(maybe) transfers, and the WGM infusion…..life couldn’t be better for a fan of Horns WBB. Hook ‘Em Schaefer.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

???

13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

A little brain freeze this morning over here. Transfers….Jones and maybe Fields. WGM should have been WMB….Wagner, Maul and Boutilier.

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Take a cue from Texas Basketball history - BMW.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I'm starting to worry about the # of available spots for this class. I'm assuming we would take Brea Cunningham no matter what. I believe Vic or Blair attended her AAU games over the weekend and they just did an in-home with her on 3/30. And we've also been in play with some excellent guards from this class as well. But the current players and possible transfers will have eligibility remaining, as shown from the chart Mooooo posted a few days ago on the 2022 Transfer thread:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DFW….I did think of that……but couldn’t remember the players. You’ve forced me to remember Blanks, Mays and Wright for BMW. I think resurrection of that would be fitting. Until we get Cunningham and then what? Oh the joys of good recruiting.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

It gets really convoluted trying to determine future available scholarships with transfers and extra COVID years of eligibility. The powers that be aren't paying millions to a staff that isn't competent in managing that whole matrix. I just sit and wait for us to add new talent and leave the "minor" details up to them.:)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

it would be BMW - C Class. You're giving me layups here.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Tempest….I can’t quit chuckling. Leave it up to this forum and somebody has the perfect answer. Now……SOMEBODY needs to suggest this to Texas WBB. First…..get Cunningham.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  21. Texashorns2022

Texashorns2022 100+ Posts

I have a feeling it’s the LA schools

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Looks like at least one person called BS on the trimming down of Breya's list. I hope we'll get one of her official visits:

• Like Like x 4
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Between this and the Laflin ‘news’, is today some kind of delayed April Fools I am unaware of?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, it simply reinforces the notion that you can't believe everything you see on the internet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wants to be a livestock veterinarian- that initial aggy commitment makes so much more sense now.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

What? Can’t believe the internet? :beertoast:

27. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  28. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Not sure what to make of this since its not directly from Breya's account, but it comes from the CalStars account which she has retweeted before. I can't tell if this is a trimming of the list from 8 to 5, but if it is - then she's removed ND, UConn and Duke. And, it would set us up as the only non-Pac12 team on her list and the school with the most successful coach.

• Like Like x 11
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Breya has started taking her official visits. Vic better hurry up and name his assistant coaches or we'll be out of this race before it heats up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1