2023 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

One thing for sure, the term "college ready body" definitely pertains to Booker. One area (in her control) that she can work on between now and coming to Texas (hopefully in June) is her conditioning. Those true freshmen who arrive in great physical shape (like Lashann Higgs, Celeste Taylor, Rori Harmon and Amina Muhammad) are those most likely to see themselves on the court quickly come November. We've had a lot of freshmen not arrive in good shape (Destiny Littleton and Rellah Boothe) and it is a tough hole to dig out of, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  2. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Watching the AA game, unlike a few players, Madison hasn’t been forcing a shot every time she touches the ball. Her passing has been really good and 3 things she does that I’m excited about, especially in this type of setting, she plays defense, she talks to her teammates and she enthusiastically goes to the floor for loose balls.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I’m excited about Booker. Normally in these type of games players use it to really just play street ball as they are used to that with their high school teams and some really struggle with that in college. Booker can definitely adjust to the college game with her shot selection, and the way she carries herself.

She has a very smooth jumper which I’m excited about because we desperately need a player who can hit that baseline and midrange jumper when teams play us in zone. I’m also impressed with her passing game, she can get a rebound and find a player down the floor on the fast break with an actual good pass. Can’t wait to get her on campus. She’s going to be a good one for us.:hookem:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She played very unselfishly while it was a gun-a-thon for most of the others. There's definitely some very exceptional talent in this class and I think we've got the right type coming to suit our needs at small forward. Looks like her defense will need to pick up, but we all know that's pretty much status quo with incoming freshmen.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Booker's build will allow her to even play PF when we want to have our best perimeter shooters on the court, or perhaps our quickest lineup. I love it when a player is so versatile as it gives them more opportunities to see the court, and more opportunities to help the team win. She's someone who would probably excel in positionless basketball. I get the feeling her strength will allow her to finish in contact and get plenty of chances at old fashioned 3-point plays.

C - Amina
    PF - Booker
    SF - Holle
    SG - take your pick
    PG - Rori

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If you don't have time to view all the video clips I posted of Booker, this is the one you have to watch. She makes it look so easy!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Great highlights, including of tonight's McDonald's AA game. Thanks for posting. I saw most of the game and it seemed like the coach for the West team didn't take Madi out much. I bet she played near the top of minutes played for the game. It was like she kept things more stable when she was in the game. She is a great passer and can obviously score as well. She also showed off some defensive skills. Its going to be really interesting to see her worked into the rotation at Texas. In looking at the Frosh players coming into the conference next year, I think Madi will likely be the pre-season pick for FOY.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Dare I say that she reminds me of Clarissa?
    :hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'm sure a lot of NIL promises were made to get Judea Watkins to Southern Cal. If her play last night is any indication of her regular game, I believe we can all agree that all Trojans' assist records are safe.

A player I don't think I've ever heard of, 6' 4" P Amanda Muse (ranked #32 - UCLA), impressed me. She's got really good length and can move - playing 4 years of high school water polo probably does wonders for leg strength. She kind of reminded me of Cameron Brink and, IMO, outshined the 2 much higher ranked posts in the game - Aalyah Del Rosario and Breya Cunningham.

A few other observations about the other Big12 commits in the game:
    • 5' 10" W Sahara Williams - ranked #23 - OU (sux). Her name popped up a few times while fighting for rebounds and getting a steal or 2 but I think she's a tweener who could struggle with matchups. Not quite quick enough to defend an athletic G and definitely not enough size to match up with a prototypical W/F like Madison. Then again - why bother mentioning defense when it comes to the land thieves?
    • 6' 2" W Addyson Brown - ranked #31 - ISU. She seems to fit the profile of a Cyclone F. Won't wow you with her athleticism (called for a couple of travels for shuffling her feet) and I can't remember her taking any shots from outside. A player I expect Fennelly to get the ball to near the paint and let her back a smaller defender down closer to the basket - basically what he did with Ashley Joens for what seemed like 16 seasons. Saying she's the next Joens is unrealistic but I think there are similarities to how they play.

• Like Like x 3
  17. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Them's mighty big words, brnkj...but I must say: "I see where you get that". And I agree."

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I haven't been able to come up with a good comparison for Booker. Davis is pretty good; I didn't know enough back then to know for sure what positions she was playing (think mainly SF and PF). Don't think she every played much SG, but that was probably based on the personnel we had those years.

19. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

When Vic says we recruit to a fit he in this case he was talking about Booker. She definitely fits what we need. She coulda came early and woulda helped this team that’s how good she fits. She can guard bigs and guards, has a motor, wants to compete, super strong and can get her own shot if need be. She needs to work on fluidity and footwork/foot speed but that’s just me knit picking. I see her starting but also think she might come off the bench. She would be dynamic at the 4 but if challenged at 3 could become scary. I could see her early on playing more pf then by end of soph year transitioning to SF.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

Sidebar not about our recruits but that MCDAA game was pretty good compared to some others I’ve seen. Standouts to me was of course out Booker who played really well and was the glue on the west.
    LSU- Del Rosario whew Kim got another paint monster the girl is going to be really good. We gonna have to see her in SEC when we get there.
    UCLA- Muse was another that caught my eye really running the floor good hands will be good for them.
    OU- Williams will be good in the other Williams spot that graduated she will the same that Madi did for them
    Notre Dame- Hannah Hidalgo whew she is savy and is quick I think she she’lol be good for them
    Those are just some others that caught my eye

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Only watched a little but Muse stood out to me as well.

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I mentioned this in my comments about McDAA game but here it is again…I love how vocal Madison is on the court.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Can’t wait

• Like Like x 2
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Dang it I missed it!

• Like Like x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looking at the box score, Madi didn’t have a great shooting day but had some very nice assists and did well on the boards.

• Like Like x 1
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Madi with the assist highlight and callout by scout Shane Laflin.

• Like Like x 2
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
    • poop poop x 1
  30. DFW_Horn