2023 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I know Vic is smiling seeing that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, that was sweet.

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

I didn’t know where to put this but we really may have got a Diamond in Booker. Watching her play in this u19 game today was magical. She wants to win above all her stats doesn’t matter but she does produce. When she is in the right basketball is made and Vic values that. She is good and Hannah Hidalgo both are the gems of the 2023 class

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I agree. She is a gem and I'm expecting big things from her this year. And since she's getting to know Hannah so well, maybe she can talk to her about the portal next year too. Just sayin'

• Like Like x 5
  6. Jacob Johnson

I can’t wait to see this in the moody!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I've been most impressed by Maddie, Hidalgo, VanSlooten (2022 - Oregon) and Joyce Edwards (#1 in the 2024 class). Funny that neither Maddie nor Hidalgo are getting starts.

Starting PG Talana Lepolo (2022 - Stanford) hasn't really impressed me - not sure why she's starting over Hidalgo who's quicker, a better defender and less prone to turnovers.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2:00 PM today…Gold Medal Game.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Maddie’s made a couple of buckets, had a few rebounds, a crazy block and a steal but got yanked by Joni Taylor after a bad pass. Doesn’t get back in despite Spain charging back to take lead and go into half tied. Still puzzles me how Taylor got this assignment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Gold medal match is definitely worth a watch. Host country Spain v. US, so the arena looks packed and is a very hostile crowd. Madi has played well when she was in the game, but when Joni took her out, it allowed Spain to come back. Tie game at the half. Speaking of Joni, not sure why she was picked for this gig. Her substitutions puzzle me and it doesn't look like she's coaching much. I can see trying to get everyone minutes, but isn't the goal to win a gold? Vic is up in the stands. If they would just bring him down and let him take over, I can assure you that the activity level on our sidelines would increase exponentially and we would pull away and take the crowd out of this thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Lol! We posted at the same time. I don't know what the heck Joni is doing. She needs to put her best lineup on the floor. We were building a good lead when she took Madi out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Actually, just checked and Madi had 8 boards in less than 6 minutes of play.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

How does the MVP award not go to a member of winning team?

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Stats spread out on the much more talented team. I would’ve voted for Canada’s Toby Fournier.

16. Jacob Johnson

Her starting lineup as well as substitutions were interesting to say the least. Booker should’ve been starting and what really blew me was when she took her out with 1-2 minutes left in the game and right when she did Spain came back. Nevertheless I’m just happy Booker is coming home injury free. She’s a much better shooter than I originally thought and she will be a big piece to our team this season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Curious where everyone thinks Maddie will play this season - 3 or 4? Especially with Amo coming back. She's shown her value as a rebounder, scorer and passer. Ready to see how quickly she adjusts to the college game.

18. Jacob Johnson

I think she starts at the 3 spot immediately. To start the season my lineup is…
    1. Harmon
    2. Gonzales
    3. Booker
    4. Gaston
    5. Jones

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sincerely hookem

I’m not saying yal didn’t watch but I think she is wing/Foward but more foward mismatch type. The one chunk in the armor I seen was perimeter defense against some quicker guards when she was switching on the perimeter. We are crowded at the 4 so she will play the 3.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Jacob Johnson

She will definitely need to get quicker but I will say I was impressed with her help side defense. She was in the right spot most of the time which is very rare to see in a freshman.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

IMO, Madi is a Wing/SF but would be a matchup, situational nightmare at the 4 against teams playing a small lineup.

The only real area I think she might have a few bad habits are on her perimeter defense. More than a couple of times, she'd gamble on getting the steal/deflection, get out of position and give up a driving lane at which point she'd try to poke the ball out from behind/around the ball-handler. She has very long arms with good quickness and I suspect she had a lot of success in high school with that tactic. That's something that's easily addressed, especially by a coach like Vic.

A positive observation? She seems more willing to do what a lot of young players aren't. Set an effective screen. I won't say who specifically but one of the US bigs regularly called on to set screens never got closer than a foot to the defender that I can recall, a lot of times rolling to the basket before her teammate even got to the screen point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Joni's substitution patterns and floor combinations were very confusing to me. She almost "coached" the USA to a loss. I'm really proud of the way Booker plays the game. While most every player on that squad only seems to think of scoring for themselves, Maddie plays like the ultimate team player. Because of that, most games you see a number in almost every stat line for her. She is going to fit in so well in our system. Once she gets some collegiate level experience and realizes that she's going to have to impose herself on opponents... watch out! She reminds me so much of a young Tamika Catchings. I'm really excited and anxious to see her play in burnt orange.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

*With Amo pushing more and more for a starting spot as she continues to regain her form. I'm expecting Mwenentanda to push for significant PT also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

That comparison hadn't come to my mind, but I can definitely see your point.

• Like Like x 1
  25. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Oh my gosh, I briefly forgot about Mwententanda in my excitement about Booker. This team is bursting with talent and skills at the wing/forward positions. We will likely see more of Holle as a second guard on the floor with a couple of wing/forwards. Against smaller teams, we may see Gaston as the "big" as we have in the past. The team has a lot of talented skilled players. Vic needs to figure out how to play them best. The "positions" may not look exactly as we expect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. Sangre Naranjada

I can envision us using "traditional" line-ups featuring PG, SG, G/F, F, C when necessary.

I can also envision us rolling out a PG + 4 essentially positionless player lineup too, depending on match-ups. Among this team's best features is the number of players who are truly versatile, giving Vic a lot of strategic deployment opportunities.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Jacob Johnson

Moore will be starting once she’s back in form and I also think Mwenentanda will play significant minutes this year. She made freshman mistakes last year but had some flashes of being great.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Nobody's talking about Amina! I thought she got better and better last year. She's not flashy but she was usually well positioned and fierce on the boards. And she almost had a shot by the end of the season!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Sincerely hookem

I love Amina and she is cut from same cloth as Holle. What I mean by that is she is going to find a way to play. As far as our lineup goes
    PG: Rori,Maul
    SG: Gonzales, Holle,
    SF: Booker, Jak
    PF: Gatson/Amina/AMo (any could start)
    C:Tay/Faye
    I don’t think Codio/Tree/Boutlier will play this year because of injuries. We will be legit that deep. 9-11 depending on what type of game it is. A lineup of Rori, Holle,Jak,Booker, Amina could be deadly defensively. Offensively Rori, Shaylee, Jak, Booker, Gatson will be best offensive bunch.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Sincerely hookem

Rori looks slimmer again in the videos that Zac Z posts on Twitter and Jak looks about 10 lbs of muscle have been put on that frame even Tay looks slim which should help with her back. Gatson/Holle are seniors we need not to forget that which means we will see they best basketbal.

• Like Like x 2