2023 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 20, 2018.

1. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I wonder how athletic a 6'9 female can be. Manute Bol was what 7'5? He was not much more than wingspan that might get in your way. On the other hand Brittney Griner is 6'8 and is pretty athletic. Will be interesting to see what we get with Abbie.

2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well…..no stats available from limited box scores in DMNews. Reporting is so inconsistent by the coaches, I feel lucky just to get the scoring for each team. You are correct that there are lots of ways to impact a game other than scoring. I’ve been scanning Flower Mounds box scores and there have been multiple games of 2 points for her. Absent of an audit, I believe her high scoring game was 8. Maybe it was 6.

3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Flower Mound got beat decidedly by an excellent Denton Braswell last night. There was a box score for Braswell but none for FM…..so nothing in Boutilier.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

The stats I've been able to find for her look average at best. Stats that a decent 6'2" would have, and certainly not elite. Six RPG, 70% FT and 35% shooting (for a 6'9 in high school?). We signed her early, so Vic must see something. I'm just not sure what it is. I know he wants an aircraft carrier in the paint. Is she it?

5. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

Looks like Sammie Wagner is at the game tonight!

• Like Like x 7
  6. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I too saw Sammie and her parents at the game. It’s the second time I’ve seen them at a home game. FWIW, she always wears a Texas shirt and chats with our coaching staff after the game.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Well that was the perfect game for her to be in attendance for:hookem:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

So I guess I’d better pay more attention to Wagner. I kinda lost interest when it appeared she was a Baylor lean. Or so I think I remember that. So I see her ranked on ESPNW as number 17 recruit, a 5 star, and 6’-1” forward. Is she a possibility? Help me understand if she’s really that good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I went back as far as page 4 of this thread. Found Wagner listed her top 8, and no Baylor. But LSU is in there. 8 is too many for me to get excited about. Even though she comes to Horns game wearing burnt orange with family every so often. I guess recruiting will really get serious after March Madness. We sure need a center (Cunningham), a scoring forward (Wagner), a point guard (Kelley), and a power forward (Grays). It never hurts to see a Wagner at a well played game. I don’t think I have seen any videos of her playing.

10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

My understanding is that she was a Baylor commit, then when Mulkey left she backed out of her commitment. Now, she lists LSU as one of her top 8. Interesting that she's attending our games, and that she spends time talking to the coaches. Genuine interest? Or just the closest college hoops that she's interested in.

11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  12. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  13. Club Dad

Club Dad < 25 Posts

Vic was at Sammie’s game Tuesday night and she visited AZ last weekend.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Reniya Kelly committed to North Carolina back in November.

With Chevalier's unexpected transfer, we'll need to add a PG for the upcoming season (whether from high school, international, JUCO, or the transfer portal); can't wait until the 2023 class, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  15. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

She can score the ball at every level. I say her main points of emphasis to work on would be defense and intensity. There are times where she looks nonchalant and she’ll shoot a shot miss it and not get back on defense. I think her leg injury is causing her to have some doubts because you can see at times where she is hesitant on certain movements. She’d be a great addition because she is a 6’1 guard/forward who can do it all offensively.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  17. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I’m not expecting much from Boutillier. I’d think by the 23-24 season we will have a pretty strong inside game and she’s 6’9 only getting an honorable mention in her high school district? Doesn’t seem great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was hoping we were recruiting her:

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I guess we weren't a factor in her recruitment:

21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Bristow looks like a good kid and player. Iowa State is a good WBB destination. I really like the coach. Interesting that ANOTHER Joens is in the pipeline. So as soon as Ashley leaves there will still be 2 Joens there. Bristow will be a thorn in the Horns side until we go SEC. Jalynn….it’s cold in Ames.

22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Bristow reminds me of those 6'2 forwards (Heather Schreiber, Kala Bowers, etc.) we signed 20 years ago who could play inside and out, and shoot the 3-pointer with consistency.

23. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m happy with the 2 forwards we have committed now. I think they are better. You can’t take all the good players. Bristow for sure will be an excellent player for Freeny. Your comment about H. Schreiber brings back good memories. When Scheiber was a high school junior and playing in The Texas Shooting Stars organization……and I think for the Texas Express team…..our AAU team played hers in a tournament. Our team was good but we were playing up a year. They took us to the woodshed. I remember watching this left-handed, smooth, highly skilled player and admiring her game. After the game, I went to the scorer’s table to look up her name. Then I understood and was excited to watch her at Texas. Schreiber didn’t disappoint. She was a tremendous player for that Final Four team. Being compared to Schreiber is a REAL compliment to Bristow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

At 6'9 and just a JR. she is still growing into her body. I see her as no worse than Ebo and looks to get down the court easier than Ebo.
    Nothing wrong with being honorable mention in the district that Flower Mound is in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Comparing Ebo to Boutilier is a real stretch. Completely different in EVERY current and future respect. If you’re saying Ebo is ok….and Boutilier could be ok when she’s a senior in college, I’ll buy that. Certainly I agree that being a junior in high school gives Boutilier a lot of time to mature and get better. I don’t agree that being honorable mention in that high school district is much. It just takes a coach to offer or nominate one of her players and some number of other coaches to agree to get honorable mention. I am not trying to say Boutilier is not worthy of a Texas scholarship. That will be determined in due time …fairly by both Schaefer and her parents. I’m reporting the stats and other comments. I say at this point in time, if she signs with Texas her impact will be way down the time line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Honestly, I don't know why anybody would be on this forum criticizing young kids. IJS

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Other than Sammie Wagner, have we had any other 2023 recruits attending our games this season? Gisella Maul is local (Cedar Park), but I haven't seen anything on social media that she attended a home game this season.

That's another consequence of not having any Top 25 non-conference opponents on the home schedule. Unless a recruit just loves your program or is local, they aren't coming hundreds or thousands of miles away to watch a game that doesn't offer 2 quality opponents.

Our 3 best home games were Baylor, ISU, and Oklahoma. ISU was on a Wednesday, OU on a Saturday, and Baylor on a Sunday. Most out of town recruits attend weekend games; so, that left us only 2 games to bring in recruits and their families.

28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Very good points.

29. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Although she’s not a 2023 recruit, Aaliyah Chavez (2025 PG) attended one of our games at the FEC this season. It seems to be in vogue for today’s recruits not to post every visit on social media.

Aston always had recruits sit in the section behind the home bench. Vic has them sit in the section beside the tunnel that leads to our dressing room. I didn’t notice the switch until I saw Sammie and her family at a game. A few games later, I saw Aaliyah Chavez. I probably missed a few recruits because I wasn’t looking in the right section for most of the season.

• Like Like x 4
  30. airtightskipole

airtightskipole 25+ Posts

I know she supports the hell out of the team right now. Have seen her at many games this year. She has bee nice enough to talk to us and take pictures. I will be rooting hard for her to have as much success as anyone. She's a horn trough and though.

• Like Like x 5