2023 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Ellis21d, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

We got 2 errors. The ball did bounce our way. But the coach decides to leave the pitcher in for 3+ times through the order against the best offense in softball. There's a reason former athletes coach and don't design rocket guidance systems.

That's all on Mike.

2. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Did anyone else see that post game interview friday night where Coach White said that the majority of OU NIL money went into Football Softball and Gymnastics. And that our NIL money is spread over like 22 different sports?

3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

OU: Skill & Confidence
    Texas: Skill

When Mac got out of the 6th inning with the lead, my wife turned to me and said, "Mike going to put in Laly?"

Nope. I'm sure Mike went to Mac and asked and she said, "I'm good, I can close them out coach"

I remember Scarborough saying early in the game, "Pitches like Morgan who throw the drop ball will have their ball start rising in later innings as they get tired. They need to concentrate on keeping that ball down"

The freshmen are naive enough not to have the heaviness of OU's history affect their mindset and they're just swinging away. But, they also have errors at the most inopportune time.

Patty was smart enough to put in Bahl into the 7th inning, but....uhhh, not Mike.

4. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Coach is in the "damned if he does" or "damned if he doesn't" position alot. The ball Jayda hit was a good pitch in my opinion. I don't know how realistic it is to think that that team is not going to score more than 2 runs. I thought the strikeout to leadoff the 6th was a very poor at bat. Lastly I would think bringing my freshman pitcher in to start the bottom of the 7th isn't a good idea either, so I would have stuck with Mac too.
    I know I'm just dissapointed for us to have been so close but tomorrow is a new day. I'm still all in Texas.

5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Mike White needs to find another pinch hitter. Had hopes for Whitaker but she just doesn’t have it. She swings at literally anything they throw at her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Denz Washington

Denz Washington < 25 Posts

I don’t like her body language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm still all in on this team. When I make mid-season comparisons between last year and this year, I'm shocked we're doing better on almost all measurables, except steals. In order to temper my expectations, or maybe it's years of being worn down, I had already put us 0-3 going against the Sooners. Maybe that's negative thinking, but I've never drank burnt orange Koolaid for any of our sports.

I often think about how teams facing OU softball must feel vs being fans of OU softball. The best equation I can make is how teams facing Texas volleyball must feel vs being fans of Texas volleyball.

Texas volleyball reloads every year with top recruits or transfers, the opponents groan and say it's not fair. We say, "Then knock us off our perch crybabies" I mirror that thinking with OU softball.

I guess it will be Spring 2025 until the rest of the SEC gets to "enjoy" the fun of having a yearly series with OU on their schedule. Hopefully, that higher level of competition can wear down OU softball and give us an opening. Well, I can fantasize.

Added: And although everyone else in softball seems to paint Mike White as a villain, I love him. The last year of Connie we were not going to renew our season tickets. When he was hired, we renewed to see what he could do and now the stands are full. We're the #3 school in total home attendance this year.

#1 Alabama - 75K [3,940]
    #2 Arkansas - 52K [1,200]
    #3 Texas - 39K [1,254]
    #26 OU - 9K [1,378] They've only played 8 home games!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  8. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

I hate her body language too. She comes up to the plate defeated.

Seems you have a long leash with Mike White or you are one opportunity and back to bench after failure. Washington, Cimusz, Whitacker, Dayton long leash camp. Brandon, Simpson, Popelka, Day, Gilbert no so much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I feel terrible for Sophia cause that first at bat to Jayda she was squeezed by the ump. And that shook her.

10. Jacob Johnson

It’s frustrating to watch us make no adjustments! She’s been pitching the same exact way and we haven’t changed our approach at all. Even had 30 minutes to do so and still come out swinging at the drop ball. We’re just so impatient with our bats this series.

11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Super sour grapes. But MBG is famous for searching all the corners of message board fandom looking for stupid, petty comments by fan bases.

12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Note: Thu & Fri games start at 4:00 pm on ESPN+

14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Brain fart running by Texas....however, overshadowed by God-awful fielding by ISU. I wondered what that team, with a fielding percentage equal to Texas, would look like. Satisfactory, to me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jacob Johnson

I noticed Morgan changed her pitching form. She now brings her glove over her head. I don’t know pitching mechanics or anything like that but it seems to have helped her off speed and drop ball pitch. Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I’m wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Wammy! ISU is really bad and we're good enough to take advantage of every weakness they offer.

Two errors for Washington though. Mmmm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I’m so happy for Vanessa Quiroga. After rarely playing all season she started games 2 and 3 of the Iowa State series and she took advantage of her opportunity. She had 3 hits with 7 at bats, a .428 batting average, and one a home run! I was listening to the game on the radio and the announcer commented that Coach Singleton had stated that Vanessa had always worked hard In practice and deserved an opportunity to start. Admittedly she wasn’t going against the best of pitching staffs she still came through. The thing about Coach White is if you can consistently hit the ball you will get some playing time!! I expect to see her given more at bats to see how she does. Day and Cimusz are both so inconsistent right now and swinging at balls outs of the zone. Hope she does well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Down 6-0 to Kansas in the 3rd inning. Czech looked bad, umps look bad, ugly game for us.

I want the best for Viviana Martinez, but her playing shortstop is not working out. Bring Mia back into the infield and DP Martinez, she makes more errors than I’ve seen one player make at UT in a long time.

21. Jacob Johnson

By far the worst game we’ve played in probably the last two years. Whether that pregame routine was needs to be changed because this is bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

The worst this season by far. Had some momentum after that last at bat but that’s squashed now. Absolutely atrocious effort by these girls, they have let the moment get to them and are snowballing.

Tomorrow and Sunday are new days I do not see this team letting this continue. We will come back, but KU record is misleading, they’re a tougher team than I thought.

23. Jacob Johnson

Mike White decides to put Whitaker in. I’m not so sure about this replacements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jacob Johnson

And she strikes out…. Again:rolleyes1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

And he pulled Maloney to let Whitaker bat. WTH! Maybe Popelka but not Maloney!

• Like Like x 1
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Well, to be fair. Maloney doesn't hit it deep and mostly to the infield. It just happens that the next best bat is Whitaker. Which is BAD.

27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

5 errors and let's be honest, it was really more like 8 errors where the score keeper was too busy to correctly rate some of those throws.

I've always thought that Vivi's biggest weakness was her arm. This year, a couple times she's thrown the ball over first base or pulled the player off the bag. Her throws tonight were horrendous.

Her bat is too important to bench her. But where can she play where she won't cause another error.

And the errors tonight were:
    Mia: 1
    Vivi: 2
    Reese: 1
    Simpson:1

Really should be Simpson: 2 because of the wild pitch and Washington: 1 for that ball that shot off her glove early in the game.

We turned around and asked each other, "Did any player actually do good in this game?" And no one could say that, other than the doubles off the wall.

In 2 years Simpson still can't help but skip the ball. Of course Kansas told their hitters just to not swing and see if the ball hits the dirt first.

Agreed with everyone else. The. Worst. Game. I've ever seen a Longhorn team play. (that wasn't associated with the in-their-heads OU team)

• Like Like x 1
  28. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

The
    The next best bat is Corona, or Quiroga. It certainly is NOT Whitaker. She strikes out at an astronomical rate. And Maloney 100% can hit deep power slaps, but even on the infield she hits it hard and would’ve made the defense work for a hard out. Putting Whitaker in that spot was a terrible coaching move.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

It drive me nuts to see Whitaker batting. At least Corona will move the runners over, and get an RBI if the bases are loaded. Whitaker is worthless against decent pitching. Mike W may be a good pitching coach and good at recruiting, but's he's a mediocre game day coach at best.

And either the B12 has an agenda against Texas or they are going to McDonalds and getting the reject applications for umps. It's almost impossible they are doing that bad unintentionally. Every fan needs to start bringing a big sign to the game that says NCAA umps suck!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Denz Washington

Denz Washington < 25 Posts

I said it before, her body language is terrible. She looks totally uninterested. She clearly isn't having fun and isn't focused. I told my wife, she is going to strike out.

Also, did I miss Dayton getting re-injured? She has been in a soft cast the last few games and isn't in the outfield.

• Agree Agree x 2