2023 Volleyball

Discussion in 'Volleyball' started by TexanNexile, Dec 31, 2022.

1. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Bunton is the #6 overall recruit. Tomlinson is #47. They may very well redshirt because we are so deep at their positions, but I would not call them developmental players.

• Like Like x 2
  2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Developmental player is kinda semantics to me. No disrespect at all. Cant believe Buntin will be in rotation at MB with O’Nesl and Singletary and perhaps Bergmark. Tomlinson is behind a lot of hitters. So both will most likely learn this year and be ready in 2024 and 2025. An An instant starter or rotation player like Eggleston or Swindke is unique. Thanks for your thoughts Tempest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Admission is free. Parking is free at Speedway Garage. This match should be highly competitive and our team should be pushed hard by these professionals.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Bunton can definitely compete for a spot based on her blocking alone but Texas is deep at that position so she will redshirt and I think the same goes for Tomkinson. Barnes could come in and play libero but she has her work cut out because Halter is more than likely getting that spot.

5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Anybody know if Halter played libero in high school or club? I have the impression not. Probably wrong. Halter sure looked the part of our fall starting libero last week. Going from A&M CC to starting libero on defending champion might be a stretch for Barnes. I’m going to pay more intention tonight to see if there is any indication by Elliot or by announcers or by play what the plan is. That position is so important after seeing a master at it last year.

6. Jacob Johnson

Halter was the libero for both of those teams and the #1 ranked player out of the state of Indiana. The libero spot is hers to lose. She may not be Fleck but she sure has the potential to be like Fleck or close to it. Whether the libero is Barnes or Halter this defense will be even better than last years defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

JJ….I like your optimism about this year’s defense being better than last year’s. I’m not buying it. Fleck was generational for Horns. Certainly there are arguments for several positions. I’m hoping you’re correct.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Jacob Johnson

Well that’s what Jerritt said. During the athlete’s unlimited match he said the difference between this years team and last years team is the defense will be improved. I think he was talking about all aspects of the game including backcourt defense and blocking. There is no replacing Fleck but a trio of Barnes, Akana, and Halter is hard to beat. I don’t think we will see any drop off from last season.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Ditto re: Fleck. Hope the rest about D is correct.

10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Theoretically you (and Elliot) are probably correct. Perhaps defensively, replacement for Eggleston on back row could be a little better. Also more blocking from setter will be better. There could and probably are a few other potential upgrades. Slightly. It’s important to Elliot to say and believe things like that. And for the great unwashed fans like me. The proofs in the pudding (my grandma’s favorite saying)……and the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP…. sure gave me a sweet tooth. On an Overreaction Tuesday, there’s a lot of projection in Elliot’s statement. Or maybe just Pessimistic Tuesday due to thinking Stars were going to win last night which didn’t happen and led my daughter and I to get home at 2:30 am,. I’m willing to chase your dream of better defense since being without Eggleston makes Horns slightly less efficient offensively. For sure there are enough pieces for Elliot to make another juggernaut ream this fall. It’s a razor thin margin to a National Championship every year. Fleck was that margin last year. It’ll have to be sharpened up in other places this year. In my fair and biased opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

There's more to the defense being better than just back row play. Blocking is a big part of defense. When it comes to the blocking and the middle blockers in particular, we should be hands down better than last year. We are likely one of the few teams in the country with two 5th year middles. That level of experience is going to go along way towards making blocking a strength of next year's team. Madi is a really good leftside blocker and based on the spring, I believe Ella is a better blocking setter than SKT. Our passing and back row defense just need to stay steady. I liked what I saw from them in the spring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It’s sure nice to be sitting on a National Championship and vetting the make-up of the team for another run. Rather than reminding ourselves of why another really good team came up short. Day and night. I missed the Athlete’s Unlimited match so didn’t get opportunity to see the good and bad against a tough opponent. Did that match give anyone any insight into this discussion of next year’s team. Maybe I should find the game and watch and arrive at biased conclusions. Or just guess like I’m doing now. That’s easier.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's a pretty good opinion, in my book anyway.

14. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I'll say this with respect to the AU match, we were 7 points from sweeping a professional team. There just aren't going to be very many collegiate teams that can put that kind of arsenal of hitters up against us next fall. Wisconsin is probably the only team that could come close. If you want to know who the penciled in starters are for next fall, look no further than the lineup that played in Sets 1 and 2. I personally think Barnes, if she does in fact join the program, will likely DS for one OH position and that will be the only change.

The Good:
    • Blocking.
    • The first set when we just dominated a professional volleyball team.
    • Passing & defense in the 1st 3 sets was good as well.

The Bad:
    • Swindle for the first time all spring looked like a freshman setter. The connections were not crisp and it just makes me worry that we will be due for some of these type matches next fall without a servicable backup that can spell her on those tough nights.
    • Molly had a rough & ineffective outing after Set 1.
    • Staking AU to an early lead in Set 2 while Jerritt was being interviewed by LHN.
    • Not winning Set 3 after having set point.

The Ugly:
    • SET 4.

15. Sangre Naranjada

Swindle will look like a freshman sometime, that's all but inevitable. What's important is that she learns, grows, and gets the freshman performances out of her system before the tourney.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Don’t you just love Texas!

• Like Like x 8
  18. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Nervously checking social media every 10 minutes since the portal opened yesterday.

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I love that this conversation is taking place in the off season!
    I see the middles this year being one of the best groups we've ever had. Thats saying alot for Texas.
    I know Zoey was all everything. I think Emma is that special of a talent.
    The leadership with every group will make this team great.
    Asjia, Molly, Madison and Emma will show the rest how its done.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I agree with you on Emma, but the problem is they were both on the court at the same time. Even if you slide Emma over to L, who takes the DS position? Reilly and Akana just haven't shown to be the same level of talent. That's my biggest concern going into next season.

21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well said Run Pincher. Having Halter AND Fletch on court at same time was key. Akana or Heinrich have not shown TO ME they are even close to having quickness/skills to replace Halter on back row.

22. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I'm expecting a major screw over for our last year in the Big 12.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Sangre Naranjada

I'm expecting it won't make a ****.

• Like Like x 2
  24. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

This schedule is not the screw job I was expecting especially if BYU is in fact coming to Austin twice. There's some differences floating out there. But Baylor, Kansas & BYU x 2 in Austin and ISU once in Austin is a very favorable schedule.

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Have you considered the possibility that our old conference rivals are going to miss Austin more than the Longhorns? Last chance to visit!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Damn, Del Conte not paying around. Even with a brand new program:

• Like Like x 6
  27. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Texas Volleyball is going to be very good again in 2023.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Jacob Johnson

I agree! It will be tough to replace Fleck and Eggleston but Skinner is more than ready to take over and I believe she will be in the running for NPOY and first team all American.

Our defense will be just as good if not better than last year with Akana, Halter, and Barnes in the backcourt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Devin & Marianna win gold with the U21 team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  30. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Exclusive Texas Volleyball Four Time National Championship merchandise is NOW ON SALE! Proceeds will benefit Texas Volleyball through direct NIL deals, only applicable to 4x National Championship Gear.

University of Texas Volleyball

• Like Like x 1