2024 GOP Primary

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So Trump is implying that Desantis is a pedophile because he hung out with 18 year old chicks when he was 23. What a solid guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

He knows he doesn't really have a shot at beating DeSantis without going dirty so he's starting early.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Trump replied to someone who posted the alleged photo of DeSantis drinking with students.
    Trump posted," No way. That isn't Ron is it?"

• Hot Hot x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Fake news by Trump. DeSantis was 23, the girls were 18 at a HS graduation party. He taught at the school for one year and was moving on to something else. Thus, he was no longer their teacher and the girls were no longer students.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    Trump did not initiate the post. Someone else posted the pic. Trump asked, No Way. Is that Ron.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Okay, fake news passed on by Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    I don't want Trump to be nominee
    But he didn't pass anything on.
    He commented in a thread.

• poop poop x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Dude, don't be so naive. Of course, this came from Trump. This is like when he says, "people tell me that so-and-so is a lying POS. I'm not saying it. Others are." It's a BS tactic to give himself plausible deniability if the slimy tactic backfires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

How did we miss this big announcement? Link.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Let's start at the beginning. The pic was first posted by Hillreporter.com in Oct 2021 by 2 Anti Trumpers.
    "The origin of the photo is Hill Reporter, a Democratic super PAC blog. The New York Times reported in November 2021 that the photo was taken after the 2001 to 2002 academic year that DeSantis spent as a teacher at the elite Darlington School before attending Harvard Law School."
    Trump as I understand it only posted a remark on the thread asking if that was Ron
    Can you show me where Trump posted an original thread accusing DeSantis?
    Keep in mind the Original pic came from known anti Trumpers.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    Trump should not be our nominee
    BUT are you saying the anti trumpers in 21 who first published the Ron Santis posted them knowing Trump would post on a thread about the pics 2023(Unless you have a link showing Trump initiated a thread accusing DeSantis) posted in 21 to help Trump? The 2 were/are antiTrumpers. Strange.

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Regardless of who initially published the photo (which isn't particularly incriminating), Trump jumping on it is why it's an issue now. He knew what he was doing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

6721 will go to his death defending Trump from anything and everything.

Even when Trump directly takes a flamethrower to the Republican field of electable candidates (instead of indirectly like in this case), this guy is going to staunchly defend him, offering every excuse in the world as to why Trump is really just a misunderstood angel among us, and it's really the mean old anti-Trumpers behind everything.

I like 6721, but he has a HUUUUUGE blind spot regarding the Donald.

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Trump did an incredible nation saving job as POTUS.
    I do Not want Trump to be our nominee. Can I make that any clearer?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Trump will get a democrat elected in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Trump did a great job as POTUS. I agree too. Since losing (or having 2020 stolen - whichever way you want to view it is fine by me) he has not been beneficial to the Republican party.

He could be a great benefactor to the party by becoming the silent, behind the scenes guy who can offer practical advice to the next nominee, and continue said advice to the next R POTUS. But, much like Jerry Jones, his ego won't let him simply assist without getting public credit. His bombastic, media-hogging style is likely to wind up damaging the country far more than he helped it while in office (save for his SCOTUS appointments).

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Sangre, I like your thoughts. I fear that if Trump is the nominee, the GOP loses the 2024 election - it would be a repeat of 2020 where folks weren't voting for the Dem nominee, they would be voting against DJT. IMO, a ticket with DeSantis as the GOP nominee for POTUS would be winner - and there a plenty of good choices for his running mate (Haley, Tim Scott, just to name a couple).

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SN
    I agree. I wish/hope he can be made to see the damage he could do.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

1. He doesn't care, because even if he's a patriotic guy (and I think he is, even if misguided at times), that takes a back seat to his feelings and ego.

2. It's too easy to blame-shift for him to see himself as a factor. When things go wrong (2020 and 2022 elections), he can always find other places to assign blame (sometimes justifiably and sometimes not). Furthermore, he surrounds himself with people who will tell him this.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He certainly will if Biden is the nominee and probably if Willie Brown's ex-mistress is. If they go with AOC, Bernie, or some wingnut, then who knows?

21. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I still do find it remarkable how Trump gets the blame for 2022 midterms, especially considering how Trump wasn't responsible for the the House disappointments and the fact that his senate candidates outperformed Mitch's senate candidates.

Trump has become a scapegoat for establishment failures and voter fraud. Saying that I still think DeSantis is our best bet because he can unite the party.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

If you think I'm wrong why do most congressmen put the blame on our leadership than Trump?

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We've haggled over this enough. I don't blame him entirely, but to give him a pass is absurd.

24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I don’t enjoy people who cannot hear other opinions but I admit it blows me away to think anyone could support Biden after these two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Well, I don't think he's 100% innocent but I'm concerned he's become a scapegoat for the much bigger problems that we have.

The one thing we can agree on is DeSantis with his ability to unite the establishment and MAGA factions is the future.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We can, but obviously that isn't Trump's concern.

27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, like the establishment will ever like or accept him. The establishment is the problem in our party.

They will eventually turn on DeSantis but right now they're cool with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They won't. They have policy disagreements with him, but even if that could be overcome, they don't trust him or his judgment. However, I don't think their support would suddenly make Trump significantly more electable. They just don't represent very many actual voters.

I don't think this is true. The establishment people who would oppose Desantis are already off the GOP train altogether. I'm talking about the people who made me stop calling myself NeverTrump - Max Boot, Jen Rubin, Ana Navarro, Bill Kristol, and the Lincoln Project idiots. They completely abandoned their principles and decided that Trump's flaws suddenly made abortion, high taxes, regulation, radical environmentalism, liberal judicial philosophy, gender ideology, CRT, and teachers talking about dicks with 5-8 year olds good things. They're partisan Democrats now and already don't like Desantis. They'll back Bernie Sanders if he's the Democratic nominee. (Ok, maybe Kristol wouldn't, but he'd at most be neutral. He won't back the be GOP.)

However, I don't think the National Review or George Will types who are currently favorable to Desantis will throw him under the bus (unless of course something really crazy emerges like that there's proof that the girls in that pic were underage and that they double-teamed him that night). It would make no sense at all.

29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Maybe not NR or Will but the establishment politicians will. DeSantis is going to shut down the gravy train in Ukraine and you'll see what happens.

30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Who are you talking about? Names?