2024 GOP Primary

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

RFK can't win the nomination even if something happens to Biden. His brand of Democratic liberalism simply isn't where the party is and definitely isn't where the money and insiders are. He's a racial liberal like his father, but that is blunted by basic concepts like maintaining order and protecting the public from violence and economic displacement. The modern party isn't there anymore. It's fine with crime and cheap labor, which they're happy to exploit.

What he can do is be a troublemaker. He can appeal to the sane constituency in the party (maybe a third) that is a minority but still meaningful and make criticisms of the dominant woke constituency that would be dismissed as partisanship or racism if they came from a Republican.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I don't think he can win either, which is too bad. If he was the D nominee I would vote for him over Trump, but not over any other R candidate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

There is growing speculation that a Trump/DeSantis ticket could be in the making

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I couldn't vote for any Democratic presidential nominee without a very explicit and clear rejection of the judiciary philosophy that has dominated their SCOTUS nominees since the New Deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That would be the dumbest thing Desantis could do.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Maybe he can. Maybe he can't. I would never make predictions about politics. People said Trump could never with the nomination in 2015-2016.

What I do know is that he polled 20% the day he declared he was running. That's impressive. He probably pulls many Trump voters. If they decide to vote in the Democratic primary watch out.

7. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I stand pat on my earlier post - any decent GOP candidate not named Donald Trump would beat the Biden/Harris ticket handily. My fear - if Trump is the nominee, the voters will turn out (as they did in 2020) to vote against Trump (they're not really for Biden, just against Trump). I sincerely hope DJT will read the tea leaves, check his ego at the door, and influence the GOP platform to back a winning ticket.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: May 7, 2023
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

243135C0-9C96-4338-84D4-2B5003F27891.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No ticket with Trump on it will win.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I think Trump has become the GOP symbol of what Bernie is for the dems, a cult following. Any rational Republican can see Trump has created too many negatives to win a general election, but the cult following won't let go. Trumps ego is just way to big to bow out and support another canidate. I too fear it will again cost the GOP the whitehouse in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Texas’ last great governor said that the reason the press covers elections as if they are horse races is because that is what they most resemble. I was managing my first campaign when I read that and my experience watching and working on campaigns in the last fifty years confirms it in my mind. Guessing who will run on what agenda against which opponents and who can grab which constituencies can frustrate the guesses of the best oddsmakers. John Connally’s. emergence being a good example. LBJ thought he was nuts leaving a nice job like Navy Secretary to make a long shot run for governor in a very crowded field

Connally would have become President had Reagan not changed his mind at a late moment

right now we don’t know who will actually run and how they might match up against the field. Biden was dead in the water when a Congress critter from Carolina got behind him and convinced enough old ladies to give a win

and remember when Hillary was a sure thing in 2008 and 2016?

• Like Like x 1
  12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Precisely, Run Pincher. And any decent GOP candidate not named DJT would beat the Biden/Harris ticket handily.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm not sure that's true. I think it'll be a nailbiter no matter who the nominee is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

My guess Trump off Twitter is helping him. If Trump didn’t self-sabotage himself with Jan 6, he would be the favorite in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This ^^^^ plus the Dems continuing to pile on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Plus the cheating

18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Plus the MSM

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Sounds great to me, but it'll never pass. It should have never been lowered to 18.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The case for lower the voting age was so stupid. Please show me evidence that the current generation of young people are more mature or wise than previous ones. I just don't see it. I thought young people were dumb when they were eating Tide Pods, but they look like friggin' geniuses compared to those cutting off their junk.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If you can be drafted for war, you should be able to vote. So if you move the draft age to 25, I’m all for it.

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So an indoctrinated 18 year old stoner with a man bun should be allowed to vote like a trainee 40 year old for no reason other than the fact that it's remotely possible that he could be drafted? I disagree. If he actually is drafted, then yes, but just because there's an almost nonexistent possibility? No.

26. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

A person eligible to be drafted should be allowed to vote for a person who could place them in a war.

• Winner Winner x 2
  27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Constitutionally, we could draft 12 year olds. We choose not to, but it's not impossible.

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Drafting 12 yo is like you said an almost non-existent possibility. In fact it is more of an impossibility than drafting an 18 yo.

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

There isn't a draft now (registering with the Selective Service is only a way to keep civil servants on the payroll), and there will not be one until a war is inevitable so that is a hollow argument.

At 18 you can do just about anything an adult can do except buy beer. You could set up something like driver training - 18 if you pass a balanced citizenship test otherwise 21.

30. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Here is the solution. Add an amendment or law outlawing the draft. It should never exist anyway.

• Disagree Disagree x 2