2024 GOP Primary

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2023.

1. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Holland I think you are dead on. In fact I think the word ‘choice’ itself is motivational to many who do not support abortion as a whole. Just the thought of denying one’s choice triggers such an emotional type response they are going to vote for it ignoring, for the moment, the real consequences of that position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

However, I don't think he "allegedly" died. :smile1:

3. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

BrntOrngStmpDe is right for sure on one point - mail-in voting is here to stay. It won't go away. Clearly the Dems are using it to their advantage (probably with some shady practices, too). The GOP must get aboard this quickly and be ready to execute a plan for the 2024 election - we can't afford to let the Dems steal one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"In fact I think the word ‘choice’ itself is motivational to many who do not support abortion as a whole. "
    Nash. Great point. And they are sure exploiting it. I can see even women who would not have an "on demand" abortion WILL support "My Choice"

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The Left will get Rs who do the same thing arrested. Just watch. Best to keep Red states Red by governors exercising power like DeSantis. If it gets to the mail in ballot phase I think the game will already be done.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think anyone is advocating for making it more common. I think they're advocating for Republicans b dramatically upping their game on it in states where it's already in effect.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What I think is happening on abortion is that Republicans are doing what Democrats are doing. They're letting the activist base set the agenda. Pro-life activists have spent 50 years helping Republicans win and waiting for Roe to be overturned, and now that it has been, they want Republicans to pass their agenda without compromise. The problem with this is that the activist base's views aren't in line with most voters in most states, and they're trying to do the legislating before the activists have done the advocacy.

I think they can still be pro-life, but they need to be more be aware of their electorate. In the reddest states, they can follow the activist base, but in purple or even pinkish states, they simply can't go as far. They can't act like Wisconsin or even Kansas are the same as Alabama or Wyoming. I think they can still pass restrictions, but they need to be willing to make compromises on things like rape or incest, and they need to be willing to rule out full-blown bans.

What's sad is that people aren't choosing moderates over hardcore pro-life candidates. They're choosing radical pro-abortion candidates. I don't think it's because the public wants that, but it's less threatening to them. If they have to accept the extreme position, they'd rather it be the one that leaves the issue in their hands. We need to recognize that and not force that binary choice.

And we need to be wake up soon, or we'll be in trouble in '24.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  10. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

11. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

In blue states Republicans will get arrested for crimes that are less than what Democrats are doing. It's already happening.

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That may be the case, but I'd go all out anyway. Have a legal defense fund for people who get arrested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yes. The Right needs a patronage system like the Left already has.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That sounds about right. There is no way the Trump supporters can spin a Trump victory over any democrat - the numbers just are not and will never be there.

DeSantis does nothing for me personally (too high of a sleaze factor), but at least he would have a better than 50% chance of beating Uncle Joe or any democrat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Anyone who votes for 4 more years of the disaster that is occurring is beyond a mental disorder at this point. Can't be trusted, should be institutionalized at a minimum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Desantis looks good against Biden in polls right now. Lots of horses look good coming out of the gate and don’t finish near the front

Hillary Clinton ring a bell? Claytie Williams?

In October 2024 neither may be on the ballot.

20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Clayton Williams was an aggy. He never looked good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Sleaze? DeSantis served in the military and was captain of his college baseball team - very similar to GW Bush.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Claytie looked good in the polls against the Baylor lady before blowing a big lead.

23. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

GHW Bush did that, not his idiot kid

I know you know that but some history or political sci grad student a hundred years from now may not

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, missed that one but wasn’t George HW Bush known as GWB when he was president?

25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

You left out this part.

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

DeSantis is the best chance to get the criminals out of the WH. Unfortunately I think too many GOP voters are obsessed with Trump.

27. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Honestly, I would like DeSantis to stay in Florida for another term to continue to write the playbook on being a strong conservative governor. He puts pressure on Abbott and other R governors. Increasing state power long run is probably more important that getting a President in for 4 or 8 years.

But once Trump is done. Then I wouldn't mind seeing DeSantis make a real run for President.

28. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Once Trump is done?
    He is a spent force. The two weakest candidates the Dems ever put up were Hillary and Chance the Gardener. He eaked out a squeaker against one and after four years lost to the other.
    The Dems are praying he gets the nomination again

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

To be accurate George W Bush son of GHW Bush attended and graduated from Yale as did GHW and W's grandfather.
    George W was a cheerleader at Yale and was in the Texas Air Naional Guard

He may be a doofus but facts are important

30. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

I disagree because the Dems seem to be so focused on Trump. Why have that focus in the media and politics (hello raid on Mar-a-Lago, Alvin Bragg) if Trump has no chance?