2024 Presidential Election: let the jockeying commence

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Dec 18, 2020.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yet GOP won more house votes and house seats than Dems. I think the issue naturally regresses to background noise.

2. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I think with a rape if it is reported early and something is done about it, you really don't know if the woman was ever pregnant or not. Therefore, there is some gray zone.

3. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

that is a sticky issue but I would respond this way. It is ok for me to shoot someone in war but not in peace. It is ok for me to shoot someone who is threatening my life/safety but not if they are not a present danger. Context matters. And while we would all want to stop all rapes, it is not a reality. I'm of the opinion that we hold people responsible for their own decisions. A woman doesn't choose to be raped so it was not her decision to have the sex that led to the pregnancy. While it is not a perfect solution, I say that a rape is one of the few situations where is should be permissible.

I've said here many times before. If the GOP goes hard at very strict abortion controls then they should go just as hard at providing FREE contraceptive services.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

BOSD
    I agree with your premise of abortion for rape victims. As you pointed out they did not choose to be raped.
    Free contraception products? Other than rape sex is a choice for men and women. With choice comes responsibly. People have too long used abortion as birth control.
    In practicality birth control is free for many and dirt cheap for the rest
    But Gee it is so tiresome to use.:rolleyes1:

5. BrntOrngStmpeDe

In my opinion, the consequences of limiting abortions can be very bad as well. Let's face it.... making abortions hard will make/encourage some people to behave responsibly BUT it will not get all people making smart choices in the heat of the moment. There will always be people who don't buy car insurance, there will always be people who drive around for months on the donut, there will always be people that are penny wise and pound foolish and there will always be people that really can't afford reliable contraceptives. BUT they are all going to have sex anyway. Bank on it.

If contraceptives were free then that would blunt much of the lefts criticism that it is unfair to poor and POC.

Also, the ramifications for society are dramatic for unwanted/unplanned births. Handing a young mother a newborn that she didn't really want, didn't plan for and doesn't have money to raise, is a recipe for an uneducated, undisciplined child that has a significantly higher probability of being a ward of the state at some point in the future, and at fantastically higher expense than $800 for an IUD or shots or whatever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Way too early, but...

Presidential candidates, 2024

Potential Candidates:
    DEMOCRATS:

(Likely runners Big and in Bold--per my opinion)

Democratic politicians
    Independent politicians
    Democratic business executives and public figures

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Potential Candidates:
    Presidential candidates, 2024
    REPUBLICANS:
    (Likely runners Big and in Bold--per my opinion)

Republican politicians
    Republican business executives and public figures

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Newsome may be the Dems best shot if Biden can't handle another campaign. Klobuchar, Landrieu, or Manchin (will never be nominated) would be my favorite Dem candidate. But the Dem primary system won't let a moderate get through this round I think... Also, Klobuchar, while an intelligent leader and sometimes a compromiser who gets things done, has the television charisma of a frozen block of ice.

For the GOP, DeSantis looks the strongest right now. But Trump has his own cult that isn't going away anytime soon. Pompeo would be my favorite GOP candidate--he's ready day one for the foreign policy challenges, and unlike most of the people on these lists, he doesn't kiss Chinese a$$. In fact, he has been a strong and consistent critic of the CCP. Pompeo's intellect would also shine on the debate stage, and like Trump, he's something of a bully--although, unlike Trump, he knows when it's time to shut up (or to just stay silent) to his own advantage.

9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

11. BrntOrngStmpeDe

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrntOrngStmpeDe

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I realize we are in the 2024 thread so this'll be my last comment on abortion here. War and threats would be an equivalent argument if the rapist was the one eligible to be aborted. I'm aware the GOP will lose voters for restricting abortion in rape cases. I'm just pointing out it's always a person getting killed or never. It can't be a person when created by passionate lovemaking but not a person when a product of rape.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. BrntOrngStmpeDe

The GOP won't just lose a few voters if they take this stance. They will lose a ton of voters. The position you describe loses to the tune of 80% of voters. If the GOP were ever to come out with that as their actual platform, you would see an 6-8% swing in how most elections went. That stance would give the Dem's 60% house, a 60% Senate and the POTUS. They would steamroll us on EVERY issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Truth isn't popular. I guess we should live by lies.

16. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

The only way I can begin to justify it is baby steps. Get rid of abortion on-demand first. Then get rid of abortion under these "necessary evil" cases. Abolitionists didn't get slavery overturned in a single piece of legislation or year. First, they convinced Americans to ban the trans-Atlantic slave trade then later they convinced Americans to ban slavery of blacks born in the US.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BrntOrngStmpeDe

Exactly. Abortion is an issue I care about but I'm not willing to concede congressional seats and the POTUS to die on the single hill of abortion. There are scores of other issues that matter just as much. If the GOP goes anywhere near "no exceptions" as a policy, then we have just handed the Dem's all the power to decide ALL of the issues.

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The wise thing to do is let the issue sit for a while. Striking down RvW was a huge step. Now states can set laws to restrict abortions without Federal interference. If you want to include exceptions great.

19. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The price of freedom is eternal discretion

20. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Nah

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Serious question. What the hell is a "digital trading card?"

22. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

I've read a few online descriptions and still don't understand. Kind of like bitcoin or aggy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. BrntOrngStmpeDe

they are the beany babies of 2020's. Somebody somewhere wrote a silly article about their value and a group of knuckleheads wanted to be first so they started a land rush. Problem will be just like beany babies....they got there first but they ended up in a place that no one else wanted to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Probably the same thing as a trading card online.

Here's one, from the Internet:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts