25th Anniversary in November Where to Go?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Summerof79, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Planning way ahead as it's not until next year, but trying to think of someplace to take the wife. Thought about Italy but was worried about the weather. Thought about Costa Rica but sort of the same concerns as it's the end of the rainy season. Considering Brazil, but might need to bring my buddy as a guide do to the language barrier of Portuguese.

Anyhow it's a long way off, but never too early to start planning and narrowing my choices. Right now I am sort of leaning towards some of the beaches in Brazil, but found some cool towns in Italy that were pretty much walking only that would be good for culture food and drink. Basically I am wide open to suggestions. Normally I would lean toward a beautiful beach, but in Early November that might mean a long flight.... Perhaps snow skiing in December but I think she would like a beach better. Clearly I have no idea what I want except ideas.

So toss out ANY suggestions. I guess for the right idea I could make it a 25th Anniversary gift and travel at another time, but it would be nice to actually be able to celebrate the date in a cool setting. thanks in advance for any suggestions you might give me.

2. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Our 40th is coming up in January..We're looking at Sydney. It will be summer time down there. The beaches were great when I was there in the 70's. Of course I was a young Air Force guy looking at all the topless girls.

3. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Back in better marital times, we went to Greece for our 10th. Spent a few days in Athens and then got on a cruise which dropped us off for 3 days in Mykonos. Nice beaches, but water is cold even in the summer. We then got back on the cruise ship (They were doing 3 and 4 day loops out of Piraeus) and cruised the isles for 4 days. Patmos, Crete, Ephesus (Turkey), Rhodes, Santorini, etc. It was a very cool trip.

4. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Yuma- I thought a little about Australia but that flight is a mother.... though I do have some friends there. I will make sure and bring the mirrored coastals "just in case" if I make that trip.

PS thanks for the pm

5. tmiller3

tmiller3 25+ Posts

I think Italy in November might be fine, especially if you go to southern italy- Amalfi coast, Sicily, or Calabria. If you go north or central- could be hit or miss. November would get you there at the olive harvest time whcih could be pretty neat. You would avod a lot of tourists at that time which would make Italy a lot more enjoyable. We went in May this year. I've been to Italy 4-5 times now in past 9 years or so and it is enjoyable anytime of year.

Another neat place might be Napa if you're into wine at all. Novemeber should be nice, the narvest will be over, but there will be lots of activity in the wineries and fewer tourists. One place I really like, but is expensive is Meadowwood. lovely palce to stay in Napa. Great restuarants also.

I'm trying to plan our 30th for next year (April) so I'm looking at a return trip to Italy or Napa- thus the suggestions.

6. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Yeah I had looked some at Amalfi online and saw some stuff that interested me, but thought it might be bit too cool from a temperature perspective. My buddy was saying Italy in November was awesome when he went two years ago, and I need to get more detail from him.

thanks all!