#3 Texas-Start to panic over BCS ranking

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by DallasTexasEx, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

How does a non-BCS conference team play for the championship that is, by name, the BCS championship?

2. Alto Relex

Alto Relex 250+ Posts

Gentlemen,

I believe I have been Matthayesed. I have been feeding off of TCU hype ever since this weekend and temporarily lost my mind. I regret any inconvenience this may have caused. Focusness re-engaged. Carry on.

3. horn123

horn123 500+ Posts

My question is, are the longhorns holding back on play calling?

4. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

There was an article this morning in the DMN that was an interview with Jerry Palm. He said there is 0 chance of TCU jumping Texas and he said it's probable that a 1 loss SEC team would still be ahead of TCU so that if Florida or Bama lost and then won the SEC CC, they would still go. He also said there is 0 chance of a 1 loss SEC team being ahead of Texas.

I'd trust Palm over this guy any day.

5. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Remain calm. All is well. Win out and the 'Horns are in. [​IMG]

6. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Hu_Fan, all of the Div-1A conferences are "BCS conferences", as they all participate in the system as it is organized, that said there are only 6 Automatic Qualifying conferences, who are guaranteed BCS berths. Which is to say, Texas (as a B12 member) has a claim to a Fiesta Bowl tie in, but no specific claim to the championship game over TCU other than ranking.

7. gkp

gkp 500+ Posts

^^^

factually untrue

8. glenn

glenn 1,000+ Posts

hmmm . . . end of bcs madness vs shot at mnc?

well, one thing i feel certain about is that mnc's won under this format will one day be discounted to near worthless level.

that said, an mnc here is the best a team can aim for these days and i hope this great group of kids gets to celebrate theirs. it will never be worthless to us.

9. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

From the DMN this morning in interview with Palm. "What if scenario: Texas plays poorly down the stretch (unlikely) and TCU blows out the remainder of its opponents. With quality out-of-conference, decent in-conference and down Big 12 this year, could the Frogs leap over the Horns? Answer No."

Interesting how other writers spew crap with no substance to back it up.

10. TDTexas!

TDTexas! 250+ Posts

11. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

Yeah, I think Jerry Palm knows a little more about the BCS than this guy. Jerry says there is 0% chance of TCU making it over an undefeated Texas. If Texas wins out, they are in. End of story.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I too, like just about everybody else it seems, highly respects Jerry Palm and what he says about this BCS stuff. He said something yesterday in an interview on Fox Sports Radio that will not sit well with those who actually think that the demise of the BCS as we know it means we get playoffs.

You are wrong about that. What we will get is the system the way it was before where bowls pick who they want. They want to keep on making their money and what college football fans, players or coaches say they want does not mean jack to them.

Palm asserts that playoffs are not going to happen automatically if the BCS were to crumble and go away. I trust his judgement on this and defer to his sources and information. He is one who would like to see playoffs too, btw.

13. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

There are two ways to get visits on an online article:

1.) Put strong and novel ideas into prose in a way that others find appealing.

2.) Throw random accusations at a large group and hope that they post links on their fan sites.

14. squib

squib 25+ Posts

TCU will not jump Texas. But for the people here who have said the BCS will lose money if TCU makes the MNC games instead of Texas, surely you aren't serious. Do you think the stadium will have empty seats if Texas is not there. Bama or UF either one could sell out the entire stadium alone (just as Texas could). Ad rates are set, and I would be willing to bet that all slots are already sold.

15. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

16. Desert__Scar

Desert__Scar 100+ Posts

This was a silly question. A 1 loss Texas team has a better chance of being ahead of a 0 loss TCU team than a 0 loss TCU team being ahead of 0 loss Texas team. . Cincy is going to end the season stronger than TCU if they both win them all--but still not enough to threaten Texas. Although I do have to admit I think we would be cooked with 1 loss--barring TCU and Cincy losing, and maybe an extra loss needed by Bama/UF as well (Boise I think we hold off even with 1 loss).

Texas has ZERO to worry about other than the Ws.

17. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

How much would ratings really hurt? It's the National Title game, even if TCU was in it I'm sure ratings would still be pretty god damn high as everybody would want to see what midmajor can do. The 2nd half ratings might not be as high but still, its like the Super Bowl, even if your team isn't in it everybody watches.

18. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

I think we're in no matter what.That being said, I would have no problem, were TEXAS to be left out of the championship, if TEXAS simply boycotted the BCS -- simply did not play their bowl game.

Belmont could announce just a few days in advance of the game that they will not play and why. Just to watch that bowl committee and the BCS freaking panic. Lost ticket revenue. Lost travel revenue for the host city. Lost TV revenue.

Yes, of course: the fallout would be huge. No bowl revenue for the year and BIG BCS revenue. Also, we'd be sued by whatever bowl committee. Yet, I wager we could get some fancy litigatin' to find a way out of that contract -- i.e., do the contracts actually state that teams are "forced" to play, or do they simply assume that teams will want to play?

The media fallout would be interesting. People would say we were a bunch of babies, whatever. TEXAS would announce that this has happened for the second time in as many years, and that it has happened before us and will again (Auburn, USC, West Virginia, etc.). Plus, the forfeit and all would be on our record.

I think the next part would be supporters coming out and agreeing with TEXAS. We'd have people taking sides with us and against the BCS. Battle lines would be drawn between the advocates of the "BCS/2-team playoff" versus the "Greater than 4 Playoff" folks.

The upshot would be the elevation of the conversation and becoming the catalyst for the removal of the BCS/2-team playoff system.

Look, something dramatic
    needs to happen that starts the unstoppable force that disassembles the machinery of this farce. Why not let TEXAS be the reason that college football was saved? "TEXAS saved college football".

Just trying to start a fire...

19. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

Do we dare to dream?

Would it be worth trading a chance for a contrived BCS championship in order to get a real NCAA championship set up?

It makes me so sad that the sport I love so much has such a messed up system to determine the champion.

I used to post on these forums a lot, but only check them infrequently now because almost every post I made ended with, "This will be solved if you expand the playoff bracket from 2 teams to 8 teams."

20. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure, but isn't Texas the only one of the top 3 not to play a 1AA school? Why is Texas SOS nailed but Bama and FL isn't? f**k it, line someone up in front of Texas on Jan 7th and Texas wins.

21. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Some of the computer rankings don't count 1-AA at all. So, teams who schedule 1-AA teams get an SOS boost in those computer rankings.

22. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

JUST.WIN.OUT.END.OF.STORY.

23. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Nothing at all to see here. Win out and a trip to Pasadena's a done deal. TCU's in the rear view mirror unless Texas (censored) the sheets.

24. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

25. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

26. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

28. Esmack

Esmack 250+ Posts

Texas' fan base buys tickets, travels, and spends money...TCU is on cloud nine because Gameday is coming tomorrow.

Both are good, but the programs are light years apart...TCU is about as possible as Cincy and Boise to jump Texas -- ain't gonna happen

Texas = $$$$

29. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

So TCU is getting credit for going on the road and beating Clemson and ?Virginia? Give me a break. Teams in BCS Conferences play those types of team all during their conference schedules, not just a couple weeks/season. I love TCU, but these types of discussions are absurd.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

30. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts