3 Whole Years

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BevoQ, Oct 22, 2016.

1. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

havent posted in several weeks but my big question is: isn't three years long enough to teach 4 Star recruits to tackle. It's always the excuse "we just need to tackle". If that's the key that should be the simplest thing to fix, it's not rocket science. Why is it soooo bad still.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Amen my Brother.

• Like Like x 1
  3. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

coaches can't tackle for you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

True but that can beat it into you. Form tackling isn't rocket science and is something that can be taught in practice. If it is the keystone of the defense as it is with any defense why in three years have we not been able to field any good tacklers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I agree. These guys look more like rodeo clowns than a defense. This was supposed to be a defensive ball coaches too. As far as I can tell Charlie can't coach defense, offense, and he sure as **** can't CEO.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

I didn't want an eventful offseason but we are about to have an eventful offseason

7. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Tackling is about effort, desire, and fundamentals ( taking the right angle, etc.) and getting people to the ball. And it can be drilled into a player. This team has shown none of that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

My main problem is that teams with less talent are beating us. To me that is coaching.

• Like Like x 5
  9. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

At this point, I am set to be content if they would just show game film of the 'bama defense...especially that forced fumble that was just returned for a score. It shows three things in one clip...how to play defense, how to force a turnover and how to score after a turnover.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Homework assignment for Charlie....please take good notes!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I don't get it. An HC that made his living for years as a DC and we've had two years of the worst defenses we've ever had. No discipline, poor technique, poor coverage, tackling is embarrassing! Time for a change.

12. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

It looks like Bedford was just the mini Charlie.

13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Things started to go downhill for this program when Old Freak Nasty was let go.
    Charlie needs to go find him.

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Who's ready for yet another round of "well we just got to play better".

No kidding! If you play better especially against your opponents, guess what happens!?

15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Easy, not to be perjorative but I would like to better understand your perspective. What will it take for the excuses to end and for you to concede that it is time to turn the page?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Seems like I've seen our guys do nothing but regress. They were probably taught better fundamentals in HS.

17. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

no excuse at all, the coaches can't tackle for you point blank period. How many hype videos and practice film have we seen from spring ball till now clearly they work on tackling drills we see it. Turn the page or not not it's not up to me my donations don't put me in that board meeting. It won't matter if saban, Herman, Mack, Charlie, or whoever is the coach you can practice run drills beat it into the players brain all season they still have to do it not the coaches and they are not you see all the different players we are putting on the field trying to find out who can get it done. I'm not saying coaches are innocent I'm saying when a guy fills his gap and goes for an arm tackle instead of wrapping a guy up cmon now. what about Haines and hurling his body at a guy from 5 yards away with his head down. We all know darn well no coach at any level teaches that. Is it Charlie's fault the guy missed the kick or he booted his onside kick out of bounds. Knstate had a solid game plan and ran it but turned the ball over 3 times so is snyders fault they fumbled and threw a pick nope. Our coaches aren't great we know that once but blown coverage, missed tackles stuff like that cmon now
    so they forgot how to play the game when they got in college?

18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Easy, either the rating services were wrong; either what our own coach said about the caliber of the players was wrong, or there is something else at play here.

It's the latter. It's coaching. I'll bet that they are not discussing defensive ineptitiue to this extent (or even close) at, counting down from the AP top 25: LSU, Navy, Ole Miss, NC, Auburn...

Some things are self-evident.

19. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Year 1 = 6 wins
    Year 2 = 5 wins
    Year 3 = 4 wins (we have a chance to beat Kansas)

The record speaks for itself.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  20. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

True. Even Jefferson.

21. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Just saw an interesting stat....

Charlie UT career losses to unranked teams = 9
    Mack UT career losses to unranked teams = 8

22. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Wow guess someone missed how much our tackling improved when we canned Diaz for Robinson. To say the problem is not largely on coaching is naive.

Coaching is not only about teaching sound technique, it's also about shaping a proactive mentality and drawing out max effort and desire.

Sure players decide all that as well, but coaches are there to squeeze it out of them.

Robinson didn't come in and reinvent the wheel. He hammered technique and rallied the troops to play more sound and aggressively.

Coaching matters tremendously on technique, effort, and level of resilience when facing diversity.

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Easy,

You are correct to say that the coaches can't block, tackle, run routes or catch the ball, but they can damn sure teach the team to lineup properly, read the defense and run the correct routes, and be disciplined enough to not jump off sides.

NO DISCIPLINE, CONTINUOUS MENTAL ERRORS, STUPID MISTAKES, these are on the coaching staff. Supposedly we needed a "culture change", and we sure as hell got one, which ain't for the better.

• Like Like x 2
  24. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

It's irrelevant at this point. This year is toast and so is Charlie. I can see no scenario where he comes back. We have no chance against Baylor and WVU so that's at least two more losses.

Time to focus on basketball and beautiful fall weather.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I've seen plenty of bad games and plenty of bad luck over the last two decades+. That said, I have never seen both of those things as consistently as I see them in the last couple of years. This is coaching or institutional or both. At this point, it appears to me that the staff has completely lost the team.

Honestly, this is the most boring brand of Texas football I have ever seen. With the exception of the ND game earlier this year, it's really not fun watching this team play. This is the first year ever that I can say that I'm actually enjoying watching other teams play more than watching Texas. Did you see that OU/Tech game tonight? Clemson/Louisville? Even A&M/Alabama/Tennessee.

We have Baylor and Tech, next. West Virginia comes to town after that. Two of those teams haven't lost a game and Tech, with the exception of WVa, has been close in their loses. Even worse is that we haven't managed to score much in the last two games (<30 points). Baylor and Tech haven't scored less than 30 points this year! West Virginia has scored less than 30 twice (both wins), but they only give up an average of ~18 points a game. Texas gives up nearly 30 points a game.

I am extremely worried about the direction of the program at this point and the infection may be deeper than just the coaching.

• Like Like x 2
  26. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

This league has gotten way faster since then and how many of the guys were starting as a true freshman and sophomore when robinson took over?

• Like Like x 1
  27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He is the head coach he will get the blame no matter what but how are mental errors and stupid mistakes the coaches fault????? Discipline yes no doubt no reason for a guy to jump on back to back plays but that's also on him as well but when he got benched and Hughes I think it was came in did he jump nope so clearly somebody is being taught. What about boyd in the OU game he stopped running in the middle of his coverage and got beat deep. I'm sorry brother but I can't put all this on the coaches. These kids are young and I'm not saying that as an excuse. They also just happened to be the better players on the team so they have a really long leash and they know it. It's like one guy doesn't care and the other guy is doing his job but has no help so he says well if he isn't going to try then why should I. Look at hager they moved him because he could play his position he couldn't grab the mental part of it and they found something he was good at it he gives it his all I just don't see that from a lot of the other guys. It's like oh well the offense will score 40 again and we will win a close one but guess what they ain't winning

28. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Everybody has to learn to pull their own weight. It’s just that simple. Coaches can’t go out there and play. We can’t make no more excuses. It’son us.”

Paul Boyette

29. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

Good lord man, you play like you practice, and the mental attitude starts at the top. Top teams don't make stupid mistakes like this one has the past two years and that's all on the coaches...its a trend. There is no improvement.

30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

So by your logic urban is a terrible coach and Ohio state is a bad team because they had a stupid mistake and had kicked blocked and ran back for a score and lost