30 for 30

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by trueut2003, Oct 28, 2009.

1. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

Anyone been watching these? I think they have been excellent; the one last night on the 1980 Ali-Holmes fight was pretty amazing.

2. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I wanted to see the one on the Baltimore Colts Marching Band, but I forgot to set the DVR. [​IMG]

Are they archived anywhere?

3. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

That was a good one. According to the website, it will be on ESPN Classic on Christmas Day, so you might want to make a note. I don't know where else you can watch them.

4. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

The one about the USFL was pretty good. I knew Trump was a douche but this movie really highlights it.

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Holmes-Ali one was interesting - I was always a Larry Holmes fan growing up and thought he never got his due for how good he was. It's too bad that his legacy ended up being the guy who beat up Ali.

The USFL one was good also.

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I havent seen the Ali one yet, I liked the USFL one. Trump was such an *** back then. That league had a chance, they had a decent TV contract and some really great coaches and players. They highlighted one of the most amazing games I ever saw, Gamblers v Galaxy, Kelly v. Young, that was an amzing comeback. There was another great game I saw the Gamblers play, another high scoring affair. Gamblers were down 6 and got the ball at their own 20 with about 30 seconfs to play. Kelley completes pass to mid field stops the clock and completes a bomb for a touchdown the next play...

7. nych 1

nych 1 250+ Posts

Caught the tail end of Ali/Holmes- good stuff. The director, Albert Maysles, is awesome (Grey Gardens, Gimme Shelter).

8. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

9. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

I saw a "preview" of one that has Steve Bartman and his life since the incident. I think it tries to paint him in a positive light since everything else is pretty negative about him. I'm also a Cubs fan so, obviously I really want to watch this one.

10. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

11. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

I've watched them all and I thought overall they've been great. This week's was pretty depressing, next week is Len Bias, might be depressing too.

12. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

13. sportswriter

sportswriter 100+ Posts

The Ali-Holmes one has been my favorite so far. Near the end, when they show Ali trying to work the speed bag for the media, and he has trouble getting it started ... ugh, how depressing.

14. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

Len Bias one last night was really good also. I didn't know that about his mom or his brother. Pretty amazing.

15. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

FYI you can purchase them off iTunes as well. I'm surprised they haven't been repeating them much.

16. updog07

updog07 500+ Posts

That Len Bias one last night was emotionally packed.

I cant wait to see the one about the Cubs fan that caught that ball. I have a feeling there is a lot more to that story than anyone knows....

I hope ESPN continues doing this for a long time. Its great for young film makers to get their names out there and not only that, rehashing some of the great stories in sports that the younger generation like myself never got to experience is something I enjoy to learn.

Never knew about Len Bias until last night. Now, Ill never forget him.