3rd practice - Mack's comments

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hornpharmd, Feb 27, 2008.

1. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

2. GhostOfTomJoad

GhostOfTomJoad 500+ Posts

3. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

NOS made their comeback in the Holiday Bowl practices and hopefully they are here to stay

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

5. goat

goat 250+ Posts

Brain Fart...

NOS?

6. TexanByChoice

TexanByChoice 250+ Posts

NOS = Not our Standard.

7. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Seems to me we're deeper at DL than at LB, so why not a 4-2-5 Nickle for obvious passing downs?

BTW, I know that depth at LB/DL is far from the only factor in which Nickle set to use, but surely getting as many of our good lineman on the field as we can afford should factor into it.

9. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

A friend of mine who played for Petrino said that he is a football genius and an extremely hard worker, but he was difficult to relate to because the guy did absolutely nothing other than study football.

10. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

11. celis

celis 250+ Posts

I think the plan last year was to run some 3/4 like fronts. Essentially, stand Orakpo/EJones up and would either rush or cover.

When they got hurt that went out the window?

12. ColtMcApplewhite

ColtMcApplewhite 25+ Posts

13. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Those 3-4 fronts were great to see at times with Eddie Jones dropping back into coverage. However I would only like to see this in passing downs if were were already in a 4-2-5 and then that turned into a 3-3-5 which gives more guys in pass protection.

The patriots do similar things to this in a dime package of sorts where they 6-7 DB's onto the field. I don't want that many DB's, nor do I think we have that many DB's, but either a nickel package or a 3-3-5 would be a good balance between having the best DB's we have on the field and some LB's who can drop into coverage as well or rush the passer if needed.

Main thing there is getting more guys in pass coverage which will confuse the QB and cause him to have to look longer to find an open receiver and thus even though you are rushing only 3 or 4 guys they have more time to get to the QB.

14. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts