4 down linemen with quarter coverage in secondary

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajesticII, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Tom said TCU defense has been solid for years running this defense....and just think about it TOM, Patterson does it with 2 and 3 star athletes !!!!!!!!!..Well, Tom even before injuries, our 3-3-5 sucks and we have better athletes. Get a CLUE !!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Why do you not just go apply for Orlando's job? I am certain Herman will recognize your genius.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

He's too big a drama queen. He'd be a massive locker room distraction, and all those exclamation points could poke somebody's eye out.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

But he has a point. I hate the three down front.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

My genius is more on the offensive side of the ball, but if they would listen I could solve many of their problems on the defensive front and the OL too. Unfortunately guys like Herman are too egotistical to listen. You can tell this by the way he handles the press, and refuses to change things even though results show they should be changed. You have to put players in a position to win games, and can't ask them to do something they can't do. On defense the 3 man front has its place and can be used in situational football, but shouldn't be your base defense when an opponent is two dimensional on offense, unless you have pure beasts at DL and LB....We don't have that and may never have that, yet here we are still running it after 7 games of being a red carpet to the end zone; with second teamers due to injury making things even worse.....But that is Tom....refusing to get out of system no matter what. Nick Saban and Darrell Royal are two coaches who would do whatever it took to win even if it means going against their grain..These examples are on offense but defense can be even more flexible with alignment and scheme. ..Saban pulled his stud QB and put in a Freshman at halftime of the National Title game. Darrell Royal pulled Duke Carlyle from a game and put in a back up to help win a game in route to his first National Title. He even put his QB in at FS to help save the game. Royal did that more than once in his tenure when his starter wasn't getting it done. Frank Broyles of Arkansas changed his OL splits vs A&M strictly to create openings against an Aggy all American defensive front that had his OL totally outmanned and upset a great Aggy team. Many coaches who run spread offenses actually put their QB under center on 3rd or 4th and 2 or less and use the Bush push to get the yards.........Then there is Tom. " We do what we do, and will not be a jack of all trades no matter what " He will use the youth and injury excuse before simply changing anything to put players in a position to win. IF ....IF he happens to ever win a title he wants to sing ," I did it MY waaaaay." LOL ..... I will give him credit for copying OU and installing that power sweep that killed us..Maybe there is hope for Tom yet......Unfortunately our OL don't know how to block down and seal ( at least #68 doesn't )....and the play got blown up.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  6. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

The 3 man front isn't a bad defense for our conference IF we had the personnel, but we don't !!!....So its crazy to run it especially the way we blitz and merely bull rush our DL all the time. Most defenses will stunt even if they don't use a blitz, but not us. Watch our DL. We go straight ahead every play, no matter what the OL does. Our LBs don't blitz through air..They run right at and engage a blocker nearly every time ( mainly cause blockers are free to pick them up with only having 3 down.)

7. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Lmao! This guy is too much.

This is a put on right?

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Nice to know Zach Smith has the spare time to post here.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We could go 4-2-5, with Ossai or Roach as the stand up DE to get after the QB (which is one of the big weaknesses this year). In this set, we could run some zone blitz to mix it up. And it should be better against the run. Adeoye/Hobbs/Mitchell can handle the LB, with Overshown/Foster coming up to play hybrid DB/LB on the outside. We have enough bodies for the DL -- mix and match per opponent.

But what we are probably going to see is the 3-3-5 again
    DL - Roach (Sr)/Coburn(Fr)/Graham(Jr)
    LB - Ossai(So)/Mitchell(So)/Adeoye(Fr)
    DB - Jones(S)/Foster(So)/Cook(So)/Overshown(So)/Boyce(So)
    2 freshman, 6 sophomores, 1 junior and 2 seniors. That is 8 underclassmen starters, including 4 sophomores in the secondary. It's not ideal. And not having Sterns probably hurts the most

Conclusion? uh, erm ...... it's up to the offense

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I can understand the 3-3-5. You can blitz option them from anywhere. we are lacking a rush end like Hagar though, so it's hard to go with 4-3, you are more committed to
    Traditional blitzes. Could get eaten alive with sideline passes and slots passes.
    It really seems like it's a DB problem between the ears on coverage. The assignments are too confusing. People are left wide open. Greg Robinson simplified the coverage as I reco. I'd start there first.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Looking ahead --

The Offensive FEI rankings for the rest of the schedule. Baylor and oddly enough ISU look like big trouble for our defense. I watched about 1/2 of Baylor game, they look like they might clean our clock

TCU - 42
    Kansas State - 75
    Iowa State - 6
    Baylor - 11
    Texas Tech - 70

*Our offense is 7th
    2019 FEI RATINGS, OFFENSE | Football Outsiders

12. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

for perspective, Kansas is at 84.
    That was AFTER gaining 600 yards of offense on us. I hate to think what they were ranked before that, or what the 42nd ranked offense will do. (I don't even know if I can look when we play Baylor. I'll probably go hunting)

13. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

me too ... for a base defense in particular.

Never say never ... but 3 down linemen should be an exception, not a rule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the full list of FEI Offenses already faced

La Tech - 63
    LSU - 2
    Rice - 117
    Okie State - 21
    ou - 3
    Kansas - 84

15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I too watched replay of Baylor game. They looked fast and especially effective on deep routes. On defense they had a number of lackluster tacklers - looked a lot like us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

In all seriousness, breaking that up into a few paragraphs would make it a lot more readable.

17. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Loved Saint Darrell but he did nothing different from 1969-1976!