4-horn QB Buechele commits. [Earlier: Lots of smoke bout a QB commit...]

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

combing the 247longhorns, hornsports, Twitter sites from current commits, expected a QB commitment today ... Has anyone heard anything? Jay? Shane Buechele and or Tristen Wallace (Tx Tech commit)

2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I've heard both mentioned as the mystery man. But, I'd bet my sister-in-law's life it's going to be Daylon Mack. The kid's just been toying with us this whole time. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

It's official...
    It's...
    [​IMG]
    Shane Buechele. [per HornsDigest]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

But, but Aggie says Horns can't recruit any QB's or WR's in our dumpster fire conference.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

6. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

That's good!

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Good work Mr Strong and staff :hookem2:

8. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Huh, I go away for the evening and sleep, and we get a quarterback?

Buechele is a really good QB. Looks like it is all a done deal. 6-2, 185 lb, Dual-threat QB from Arlington Lamar. #142 in 247sports, #170 in rivals, #190 in scout, #246 in ESPN, for a composite 247sport ranking of 184.

The main numbers are good in his junior year. 67% passing, and 30 to 6 in TDs and INTs for about 2500 yards in 11 games. 8-3 win loss record as Arlington Lamar lost in the first round of the state playoffs. Pretty good numbers, though not eye-popping like Heard's or Murrays in the last couple of years. There seems to be no such quarterback Gods in the 2016 class anyway. He is among the best couple of QBs in Texas this year and many have him as the best.

Go Horns!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He will also be a MLB draftee.

10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Could be - he's supposed to be an excellent SS.

I coached his older brother, Garrett, for 2 years in select baseball. He played 3rd and pitched for me; had a great arm; good mechanics and speed; and excellent bat. < sarc>I take full credit for all of those skills!< /sarc >

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

He certainly has the DNA for this. His Dad, of course, was a brilliant 3rd baseman for the Rangers.
    That being said, I really want him to eschew BB and help our beloved horns win the NC in a couple of years
    :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Yes, he certainly has baseball in him. Steve Buechele the reason why many thought he would end up at OU. Apparently not! He was the only only in-state QB one we offered last summer among QBs, and Watson stayed on him all through.

13. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Making this the main thread on this commitment, with a thread title change. As we are all getting used to the new site's capabilities, we haven't converged to a smooth scheme of operations yet, but we will soon. Keep the comment coming... Mod, Jay.

14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

How serious is the MLB threat?
    I was laughing at Aggy having to sweat that out with Murray and now we have the same issue

Jay, are we taking two QBs or are we done at that position?

15. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I've read we'll take 2 or 3 with the 2nd and 3rd being more "ATH" than "QB."

I've not read anything indicating that Boo is considering MLB. That's not to say he won't - he still has another season to play after football.

16. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

I would think we will take 2. it may be tough to take 3, considering that the numbers a little bit tighter this year. Too early to say anything though.

17. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Great news! I still won't be completely happy until we get the signed LOI next February. Remember Zach.

18. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

:hookem::texasflag: Good pickup!!

19. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I heard some rumblings about him potentially getting the green light to be a dual sport athlete ala Winston at FSU? Thoughts?

20. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations and welcome.

21. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Would he be interested or be allowed to play baseball at Texas if he does come here? He could redshirt in football and play baseball as a freshman. We need quarterbacks, but I always have the the baseball on my mind too.

The best throwing arm I ever saw play college baseball and I have seen a few good ones, was John Elway, when Stanford came to town for an Austin Regional. He played both ways at Stanford, was drafted number one by the Yankees and Indianapolis. In fact ESPN is doing one of those "30 for 30" shows on his draft saga tonight at 7 pm.

Things seemed to work out for him playing baseball in college.

22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per a poster on another site:

"Aggy radio [Monday] listed their top five quarterbacks in Texas and they had Buechel number one. They projected him probably to Oklahoma. I'm sure he'll slide way down their board now."

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  23. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Buechele scouting report at HornSports

With two receivers already committed for the 2016 recruiting class, Texas added a new offensive piece to the puzzle when they received a commitment from Lamar (Arlington, TX) quarterback Shane Buechele on Monday. Buechele chose the Longhorns over offers from Kentucky, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, TCU, and Texas Tech. The son of former Texas Ranger third basemen Steve Buechele, Lamar’s signal caller came onto the scene last season after competing as a junior at the Elite 11 camp in Dallas.

After several years of detrimental quarterback recruiting at Texas, Charlie Strong and Shawn Watson are aggressively pursueing options both in and out of state to correct past mistakes in the program. Texas targeted Buechele early in their evaluations as one of their top options in the state. And although the Buechele family has a history with Oklahoma, that didn’t stop Shane from choosing Texas as his top option.
    - - -
    Buechele has nearly ideal size at 6’2 185 lbs., with room to add more bulk. Operating Lamar’s spread offense is paying dividends in terms of a high football IQ.

Buechele shows good arm strength, quick decisions, and good accuracy. Additionally Buechele is well coached as demonstrated by great mechanics and footwork.

Despite a quick release and a solid understanding of when to put zip or touch on the ball, the Lamar product does not have the ability to completely take over a game with his legs. Even though he is not an elite runner, he demonstrates good speed and running ability on both designed runs and scrambles. Buechele also shows good leadership skills and is a clear field general who appears to thrive in the mental aspects of the game more than physical ones.

[Emphasis added]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  24. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Shane solves our kicking problem!!!

• Like Like x 3
  25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

We had that drop kick play in the 7th grade - and it worked once.

26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per 247Sports:

Perhaps the most pivotal commitment of the Charlie Strong era was secured earlier this weekend when Arlington (Texas) Lamar Top247 quarterback Shane Buechele pulled the trigger Monday. Looking at last year’s class and combining it with what the Longhorns are surely going to do in the 2016 recruiting cycle, and Strong and his staff are loading up offensively.

They certainly need to as Texas ranked 110th nationally in total offense in 2014, 98th rushing the football and 88th passing. With the influx of talent coming in 2015 and 2016, expect that to change rapidly.

Buechele looks like the guy that could make it all tick.

[T]he 6-foot-2, 185-pound Buechele will arrive in Austin the total package. While former blue-chippers Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard battle under center this spring at Texas, Buechele will arrive next fall a more complete player than those two were at the same point in their high school careers.

Buechele particularly separates himself with his accuracy as a passer. He can change the game throwing the football. One source told 247Sports it’s scary how accurate this young man can be.

A fantastic competitor, Buechele threw for 2,492 yards and 30 touchdowns as a junior, while adding another 572 yards rushing and seven scores. He’s a quick decision maker, gets the ball out fast and there isn’t a throw he can’t make. Buechele is just as comfortable slicing defenses up from the pocket as he is delivering the pigskin on the run.

Buechele impressed Strong, Shawn Watson and the rest of the Texas staff in camp last summer and he became a major target from that point on, and what Texas is bringing in around him is very, very impressive.

[Emphasis added] [Read more here]

27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Funny story, my wife asks me if I heard about a qb committing to Texas. I play along because she knows nothing about recruiting so I say yes. She tells me its her friends son in Arlington......

This is funny.....to me.....because she just said it like its no big deal. I think we'll make a road trip this fall.

28. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

^^^ And to think that your wife could have recruited him all along, and you could have claimed to be the catalyst behind bringing the next Colt McCoy to campus who wins us the next NC and all that.... Damn, what a missed opportunity :)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

[​IMG]

30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yep! Its probably for the best. I'm too honest to be a recruiter.