4 years Stoops vs Herman

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TXO, Oct 11, 2020.

1. TXO

TXO < 25 Posts

First 4 years for each coach

Stoops: 3-1 vs Texas, 1 Nat'l title, 2 Big12 titles, Orange Bowl win, Rose Bowl win, Cotton Bowl win

Herman: 1-4 vs OU, Sugar bowl win (2020 bowl TBD, definitely not New Years 6 bowl)

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

And they both took over programs that were in about equal shape before them. If anything OU might have been worse. I'd take Charlie Strong over John Blake easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Stat,

Interesting study and discussions about Stoops first year at OU. I told multiple people right after our win that he was going to destroy us in 365 days. When it happened people asked how I knew about it. Simple, Stoops first year he had Leach and no WRs. They played us with a bunch of third team RBs playing WR. I thought that when Leach got WRs, Stoops would kill us. Leach went to Lubbock with his tennisball guns, but Mark Mangino recruited and developed some WRs.

If Leach had had any WRs, what would Stoops have done to us?

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It's still odd to me that Stoops was able to come on that strong and that quick and then win a national title (oddly enough except against us, that 2000 title team was mostly about defense and not offense), and then never won one again despite getting the benefit of the doubt for every possible vote-related advantage every year.

5. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Since Stoops was always in the BCS or CFP eras, voters could only get him to the playoff games. Eventually, he had to coach a game to win the title.

6. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

I think it's well known in OU circles that after the first 5 years, Stoops basically checked out. He wasnt really putting in work anymore, he took a bunch of vacations, practice intensity decreased dramatically.

From 99 to 05 or so, he was a coach first and foremost. Afterwards, he was primarily a family man and beign a coach was his side job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

The year they played Florida with Demarco Murray was the closest...I was at the Big 12 championship game when Mizzou injured Murray's knee on a kickoff return....he was the answer to Percy Harvin IMHO