5 years sober. Who knew?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by BHud, Dec 6, 2011.

1. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

It is with fondness that I look forward to what has become an annual tradition. Quite honestly, I really dont look forward as much to the yearly chips or coins, as much as I do getting to write here, every year, on 12/6 to say: yep. Still sober.

I cried out for help here first, and I got it. Days were hard in the beginning, but God was more than understanding and my time in the desert was short-lived. In my sobriety, I got the kids,the wife, the house, and the dog back...and even more. We adopted a little one along the way, Daniel COLTon, and we love each other, almost 17 years later, more than we did in the beginning.

Our sober home, Sober by Grace, Inc, is now a sober community, with 3 men's homes, and a womens home that works with the addicted, the alcoholic, as well as victims of sexual trafficking, and a homeless outreach program, Fire in the Night. Today, we are at 100% capacity, and I am shepherding 23 residents. (One of the homes is only partially open, but it's coming along.)

In the past 5 years, I have seen and experienced true miracles. We seen young heroin addicts come in and get cleaned up....those are the most rewarding. But we dont really DO anything, other than facilitate. I submit to you, that we have never "got" anyone sober. No one does. What we do, is facilitate relationships: relationships with the 12 steps, relationships with family, loved ones, and most importantly, God. Because we do that, I get to keep coming back here, every December 6th and write this. Could things be better? Sure. I could be looking forward to the Horns in a BCS bowl, vice the Holiday...but I could also be homeless, single, and not know my family.

Many of you have no idea what youve meant over the years...random messages here and there, even the first kind words spoken to me, in this forum. They mattered then, and they matter now. I would urge all fo you that have a drunk or addict in your life, to not give up hope. Miracles still happen. People still, as if by magic, turn it all around and live to tell. Im now a man, at the age of 40, and I get to approach life with a child like zeal, that was gone for so many years. I mourn for the lost time, but I more than make up for it every day, every minute, and every second. Thank you, and of course, Hook 'em!
    The Link

2. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Bhud, wow, congrats and thanks for continuing to share your story. I am in awe of anyone that can overcome an addiction and stay sober. God Bless you and your family and everyone else that fights this battle!!!

3. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

congrats on your ongoing success.
    thanks for posting.
    I remember to posts from 5 yrs ago
    very inspiring the work you are doing now

4. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

It's always a pleasure to see your posts. Congratulations and good luck.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

HELL yeah. I like your tradition of making me smile and be really happy for you and others around you. Thanks. Look forward to next years too.

6. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

BHud, thanks for all you do to help others who are wandering in the wilderness. God has blessed you many times over, and I pray He will continue to do so.

7. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Bravo!
    Your message is inspiring, and we applaud you once again.
    Many of us have known individuals struggling with these issues, and you feel you must do something, you want to grab them and force them to clean up their act. But as you point out, no matter what you do, it is up to the individual to realize they have the problem and want to correct it.
    Some can do it, some can't. I tip my hat to you for your personal success and your willingness to help others.

9. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

I remember that first post and all those that have come after. I was having a tough morning today and your post made me smile.
    God bless you, your family and the work that you do!

Oh, and:

10. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

I can not be serious for more than a few minutes, whether talking or writing, so....I had to infuse a little Gundy in there. [​IMG]

11. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

You have my admiration and respect - from one whose family endures through members who have conquered their addictions and some who still struggle.

God Bless, Merry Christmas, and....
    Hookem

13. Great Hills Horn

Great Hills Horn 100+ Posts

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Please keep posting every year; I don't think we'll ever get tired of it. It's an encouragement to many of us. Blessings. [​IMG]

15. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

This years entry was a little late, but is currently on the desk of the moderator I suppose. We were trying to put together a deal for a full blown rehab outside of Destin and Panama City Beach but alas...fell about 40K short of making it happen. Been licking our wounds privately for a few weeks byt...the sun keeps on rising. [​IMG]

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

keep on keeping on day to day to day with the next able to eclipse the previous. No matter what you ain't in this by yo'self, Longhorn.

17. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations on another year well done.