50 Years Ago Today....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Buck-Horn, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

The first AFL-NFL World Championship Game (later known as Super Bowl I) was played...Packers vs Chiefs (fomerly Dallas Texans!). Pretty cool that both teams are playing today!

• Like Like x 4
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Thats too cool :hookem:

3. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Tickets were about $10 each....

• Like Like x 1
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I watched it on TV. It really was nothing like it is today.

6. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

You're OLD. :lmao::beertoast:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Oh, it was a VERY 2nd rate production...covered by 2 networks even!! I recall back then, the NFL league thought of it as an exhibition game. They considered the AFL a bunch of rank amateurs. I believe many of the NFL owners thought the AFL would implode after this "Super Bowl" experiment backfired...that is, after the NFL *****-slapped them around after a few seasons.

But then, Broadway Joe takes over in SB 3 and the rest is history!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Starting a long tradition of QBs being named Super Bowl MVP for managing the game and winning with a dominating defensive performance. :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

And like back then, the Packers won and the Chiefs lost

• Like Like x 1
  10. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

That was odd, switching from channel 4 and channel 5 (dallas area) seeing the same game. Hurt even worse that the Cowboys came up short in the NFL title game. That was a great game itself.

Max McGee, the game of his life with a hangover. Fred Williamson taken off the field after some big trash talking...Loved the game as a kid back then

11. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

That's about $75 with inflation, the value of money changes over time just FYI

12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, but I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be too, sooner than you know. Enjoy the ride!

• Like Like x 1