5A State Championship

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by jerwilliamz, Mar 1, 2008.

1. jerwilliamz

jerwilliamz 25+ Posts

Anybody else watching? Wow. How about those sisters Nneka and Chiney. Too bad both of them scoffed at the idea of coming to Texas.

2. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Yes, we know Nneka is not coming to Texas - yes, we know she and her sister are not interested in the least in Texas - yes, we know she and her sister do not like Texas. Yes, we get it - we got it a while back too. [​IMG]

3. jerwilliamz

jerwilliamz 25+ Posts

It just seems to me that being the premeire university in the state with a legendary coach that we should be keeping talent like that in state.

4. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

She chose Stanford. My understanding her Number 1 goal was the quality of the school. As an Ex, I believe the quality of my school is the best. Others, apparently she disagrees.

This choice did not seem to hinge on the Coach.

5. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Very athletic but I did not see either of them hit a shot that was not right under the basket. I hope they do not fall into the trap of not working on their jump shot because they can get to the basket any time they want to in high school. As a coach I would much rather have them shoot a layup if possible but I also hope that they are working on their jump shot.

6. jerwilliamz

jerwilliamz 25+ Posts

I'm sure they are working on their shooting. One of them did hit a three in the game if I'm not mistaken.
    Oh, and I talked to some people about her decision, and found out that her dad apparently thought UT was too much of a party school and that Stanford took academics more serious.

7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have to say that students that want to party will do so regardless of the school. I'll bet Stanford has some serious partygoers that could keep up with the UT ones. You also happen to find quite a few serious students at UT that would do quite well at Stanford. It 's a matter of discipline.

8. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Based on Princeton Review's rankings of "Party Schools" for 2008:

1. West Virginia University
    2. University of Mississippi
    3. THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN
    4. University of Florida
    5. University of Georgia

Stanford didn't make the list.

Seattle

9. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

10. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

112-2

Not bad.

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Seatte, you missed the point. I wasn't talking about party school rankings. I was talking about students being able to find a party if that's what they are looking for. They can find a party anywhere, even in the Ivy schools, much less Stanford.

12. jerwilliamz

jerwilliamz 25+ Posts

Baylor is not my team. And it's not like they need her now anyway because they are getting Griner.

If somebody is looking for a good academic school, then it doesn't get much better than the University of Texas. I thnk we were ranked the best 'public ivy'... whatever that means
    The 'party school' rankings have hurt, but it's easy to disprove. All you have to do is walk into the library and see all of the Asians that are probably studying there now.

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

14. VinceYoungScores

VinceYoungScores 100+ Posts

[​IMG]

Seriously, though...Stanford is one of the truly great academic institutions in the world. I see NO shame in losing a recruit to Tara because of academics.

As far as the rankings go...when we were ranked #1, it was right after the football National Championship. The people making the rankings admitted that the NC was a large factor in ranking us as the #1 party school, because we had a lot to celebrate that year. As a current student, I can echo Babhorn's sentiment that it depends on the individual. Hell, Nneka's liable to get a taste of Acapulco Gold in Palo Alto and go nuts. I wish her the absolute best of luck. She's a silky smooth player, seems to be a great kid and a class act. I would love to have Chiney, if she decides not to follow Nneka.

15. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

What channel?

[​IMG]

16. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

FSNSW televises the 5A championship game each year.