#9 in the AP

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We have not really had that many top 10 vs. top 10 games in Austin over the years. As this game gets closer and if both teams keep winning, someone will research the history. My memory is that when it does happen, those games are at neutral site (bowl or Dallas). The handful Ive been to DKR are a total blast. Fun times.

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Recent history was 2005 vs #9 TTU. Texas won 52-17. Think Gameday was there for that one, too.
    2006 #2 vs #1 tOSU. L 7-24
    2008 #1 vs #7 Ok State W 27-24

Previous history:
    1949 #10 vs #9 Rice L 15-17
    1950 #7 vs #1 SMU W 23-20
    1962 #1 vs #7 Arkansas W 7-3
    1964 #1 vs #8 Arkansas L 13-14
    1970 #1 vs #4 Arkansas W 42-7
    1978 #8 vs #3 Arkansas W 28-21
    #6 vs #8 Houston L 7-10
    1980 #10 vs #6 Arkansas W 23-17
    1996 #6 vs #9 Notre Dame L 24-27

• Like Like x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Also a Mizzou game, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. horninchicago

They were ranked 11th. They had been in the top 5 the week prior I think. They lost, which, combined with LSU losing and our beating ou, enabled us to get the #1 ranking.

Edit: I assume you are referring to 2008.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't remember what the rankings were when Texas hosted WV for their first meeting when they joined the Big XII, but I remember it got a LOT of attention and was a big-time atmosphere. I thought gameday was there, but I might be misremembering that.

Regardless, that atmosphere with a different result would be fantastic.

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

2012, WVU was ranked #8 and won 48-45. I don’t think we were ranked.

From Hookem.com:

West Virginia 48, Texas 45, Oct. 6, 2012: Attendance: 101,851

The largest crowd in DKR history saw Texas lose in West Virginia’s first trip to Austin as a member of the Big 12. Future NFL draft pick Geno Smith threw for 268 yards and four touchdowns in the No. 8-ranked Mountaineers’ win. But it was Andrew Buie’s 207 yards rushing that killed the Longhorns’ chances. Texas trailed 21-7 in the second quarter but led 28-27 at halftime. West Virginia took a 10-point lead with 1:18 left, and David Ash led Texas down the field to cut the score to 48-45 with 15 seconds left. But the Longhorns couldn’t get any closer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. horninchicago

What an ironic score.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Well done young man

9. horninchicago

And, to your point, that is not many top 10 matchups in Austin in well over 100 years of football.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I, for one, am not on this bandwagon as of yet---half of the season remains, including some difficult games at home (WVA) and on the road (Okie lite and tceh)---so yes, do not put me in that "Texas is Back" show as of yet---not to be a party pooper, more of a realist!! irregardless, Hook 'em and yes, ousux!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

yeah, you're right; only half way through with some teams down the road that can score lots of points--including BU this week. Horns have made great strides. Still work to do though.
    And the good thing about it is, that the players and the coaches seem to know this better than anyone. They are talking the right way--one game at a time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. Hook ‘em

Hook ‘em < 25 Posts

Texas was 11th AP and 9th in coach’s poll. WV was 8 AP/7 coach’s.

So if you include the coach’s poll, that 2012 WV game was also a top 10 matchup.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And no one could blame you. Probably half the fanbase is just waiting for it to implode. It's been the football equivalent of the Stockholm Syndrome for us.

Thing is, we have better athletes/better players than almost everyone we play. We not only have have them now but we have had them most of the last 10 years. We just needed them on same page, fully behind the coach, combined with a topshelf S&C guy. We seem to have it now. I think it shows in the 4thQ. We are wearing teams down. I remember in the 4Q against TCU it looked to me like Patterson was waving the white towel of surrender. How often have you seen him do that?

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree with Joe. Texas is almost to the point where their goal of winning the Big XII is not a stretch. Everything is right there for them to either take it or spit the bit. Only concern is if they win the Big XII and get left out of the CFP, Georgia or LSU will be waiting for them in the Sugar Bowl. If they don't win the Big XII it will be off to either San Antonio versus a PAC-12 team (if they are the second/third Big XII team or Orlando third/fourth Big XII team). Where they land will be dependent on whether the Big XII Champion (WVa or ou) is in the CFP.

The CFP is looking like 2 from the $EC if Alabama doesn't win the CCG (Alabama's automatic inclusion is a killer for everyone but the $EC); ND (the remainder of their season is basically a cakewalk); and tOSU (see ND) plus State Penn (one point loss to tOSU on the road) trumps the Texas' loss to Maryland. Not all bad for Texas as Herman will have objective evidence that every game counts, and you have to beat everyone on the schedule.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I am not yet at the point of letting my mind wonder about those scenarios. As far ahead as I am willing to look is WVU. But it stops there. Any game is still a landmine for us. Herman has a history to overcome in this regard

16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I've been going back and forth about this, I now feel Texas is about right where it should be in the AP poll, I think the Coaches got it wrong. In fact, outside of Bama, Clemson, and Georgia, I don't think any other school can beat Texas. This team is loaded with talent.

And that is right, I think Texas can beat tOsu and Penn st, I think Texas is going to stomp a big hole in West Virgina, that is going to be our statement game.

In conclusion, buy stock now, it's going through the roof.

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. EMJ426

EMJ426 250+ Posts

Road Trip Caravan to Kansas?

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I envision tumbleweeds blowing across the frozen tundra

• Like Like x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas would beat the Sons of Klem.

21. horninchicago

Yep, if the aggies could compete with them, I'd agree.

Edit: I mistakenly wrote "complete" above, initially, but we all know the game was incomplete and they ran out of time.

22. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Was going to check it out, assuming piggy mostly.

Seems like just about every other year or so, late 60s through mid 80s Horns would play a top 10 OU, then the next week play a top 10 piggy.

Always felt for the guys, not healed well from the Dallas game and 7 days later play your other, usually also top 10, rival.

Did help in national reputation, though, even if you lose one each year.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

More trouble at at the top?

24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Do you know what happened, seriousness of injury?

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4 of the 8 teams ahead of Texas in the AP poll might lose today

[​IMG]

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Per the ESPN broadcast, Tua Tagovailoa re-injured his already-sprained right knee and is questionable to return.

27. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

We'll probably get jumped by LSU, so I'm thinking we move up or stay at #9.

28. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I wouldn't be surprised if LSU is top 5. If WVU loses we should probably jump a couple spots I’m guessing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Was about to rejoice in Miami being down 10 in the 4th, but they were 6 spots below us anyway. Not sure why, since we both lost in week 1 but theirs was to LSU. But if they lose here it doesn't matter anyway.

30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

To unranked Virginia. Weird upset day going on.