99 Problems: Former UT Player Brian Jones Says Big Donors Pulling Racial Strings

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Nov 19, 2021.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

And on the eve of our next game....This...

Brian Jones: Donors pressuring Sarkisian to play Texas players based on race

I'm going to keep this short and sweet... Somebody keeps spreading this cancer and won't let it go.
    If there is any truth to it it is disgusting and we deserve what we are getting.
    If there isn't and people are spreading this anyway they should be tar and feathered on Bevo Blvd.
    Brian Jones should reveal specific sources and quote specific individuals or shut his pie hole

(Thinking I might should go change my prediction for this week..SMH.)

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brian Jones has run his mouth since he got to Travis County, and I'm still waiting for anything I believe or want to hear. Worst LB to ever wear #60, and I raised hell when they gave it to him.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

So a national media "journalist" publicly says Texas sucks because fat cats won't leave the coaching staff alone and that coaching staff chooses starting lineups based on race. But he's not going to say anything else because he doesn't want to tear down the program? Laughable.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So much fake news. Let me guess what the real story is: donors telling Sark to stop playing the racists. I won’t comment on who the racists are as that is west mall material.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Whaaaa? Doesn’t want to be a ‘detriment to the program’ and he says something like that? I don’t remember any issues with him while a player but I’ve forgotten things before, this stinks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jones was a joke as a MLB and pretty much everything that has ever come out of his mouth is so ridiculous that it is laughable

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I thought his comments on the problems with our defense were correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Since he didn’t specifically mention defense are you saying there are players playing on defense only due to donors’ pressure? Curious to where you’re coming from here.

9. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

This strikes me as utterly preposterous on several levels. Which race(s) are the donors supposedly pressuring Coach to play?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

What a lame BS article. I know he is a UT Letterman. I repect his play, dedication to the program, etc. But seriously do you trust Jones opinion here? I don't.

Sorry BJ, stop the hate, and with all due respect FO.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah I agree, had he said pressure to play certain players it would have been easier to fathom than the racial implications.

12. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I don’t know what is true anymore. This seems a bit ridiculous.
    However, There is no doubt our BMD are a big part of the problem.
    Saban was asked by Finebaum why he didn’t take the Texas job and he said he didn’t want to answer to 30 different BMD.
    Texas gives way too much access to these people because they crave the cash.Basically we are a poorly run pro team with many owners.
    The proof is our craptastic results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

THAT IS A ******* LIE!

Saban never said that & certainly wouldn't say it to a hack like Finebaum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. William Bush

William Bush 25+ Posts

Agree Saban never said that. In fact. Finebaum said that he "knew for a fact" that Saban agreeing to terms with Texas "never happened". It was only years later when Saban's agent confirmed it was all true that Finebaum found out he was not as connected as he thought he was. He went from being a Saban brown noser to a critic overnight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Saban was happy with the situation in Austin, & Terry loves Austin.

As far as I know, Billie Powers NEVER qualified as a BMD, and he is the son of ***** that lied to Saban.

16. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Sorry, you really don’t have a clue what he said to Finebaum. Finebaum has no reason to lie and he specifically was curious why Saban turned down the money and the job.
    Actually Finebaum just said Saban didn’t want to have to answer to thirty people…. but the assumption is you have to pay to have a voice at Texas.

• poop poop x 2
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I do know Nick Saban well enough to know he would NEVER say anything derogatory about anyone to Finebaum. I also know him well enough to know that if he thought that, there are likely only two people outside Terry he would say it to - one in Montgomery & one in Huntsville, and they are the two men that brought him to Tuscaloosa. You can believe this or scoff at it, I don't care, but if Saban ever said anything negative about the Texas deal, they would have called me to give me a rash of **** about it. Hell, they both called and cussed me out when they found out we were close to the deal, and then to find out why it blew up.

If Saban is pissed at anyone in the Texas deal it is Mack Brown and Billie Powers.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  18. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Are robots a race yet? And if so, do we have to be nice to them? Asking for a friend.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Something I found on the internet:

“Actually it was Tom Hicks and Wallace Hall who initiated the calls to Saban's agent, Jimmy Sexton, who Hicks knew from his ownership of the Rangers and Stars. Then UT President, Bill Powers had reached out for BMD political support against Governor Rick Perry's campaign to oust him. As one of the state's bigget political donors, the BMDs got Perry to leave Powers in office. The BMDs expected Powers to return the favor by acquiescing to their desires to hire Saban. No one understood the vanity of Mack Brown, who feared his image at UT would pale if succeeded by the greatest coach in college football. Privately, Mack and Joe Jamail lobbied Powers with images of Saban taking over UT and turning it into a football factory. Powers bought into their narrative, and without informing the BMDs of his change of direction, moved quietly to hire Charlie Strong.”

Mack felt the conference would be weaker in 2013 and begged for a chance to retire at the close of championship season. The BMDs relented, on the condition that Mack would resign immediately following the close of the 2013 regular season so that Texas could begin its hiring process right away. Mack not only didn't win the conference in 2013, he also reneged on his promise to resign right away, hoping his less demanding fans in the Longhorn Nation would come to his defense. To buy time, he left town for several weeks on trips at UT's expense to New York for the national coaches convention, to Florida on an extremely rare out of state recruiting trip. After several weeks of stalling and exhausting most of UT's official recruiting visits, Mack still refused to resign by the time of the infamous "Red" football banquet. According to the narrative I've been told, Mack was advised the next morning that if he wished to receive a generous severance package from UT, he had until 5:00 to resign.

20. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I wonder how many other teams have some sort of Nick Saban coaching story floating around. I would bet a lot of money MSU and LSU have their stories.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. RainH2burntO

All I know is....and I'm sure many things said about our BMD culture aren't true (and I'm not saying other schools dont have issues)...but where there is that much smoke always there is certainly fire - and though I know it goes with the territory - I think all that crap is just that...crap..Egos, politics, power tripping, money whipping, bullying, pressuring, feeding your own flesh to the detriment of those people and things around you...is pretty sick and disgusting to me.
    I very much dislike it and it cannot be good for anything real and true and virtuous and meaningful and productive to occur.

22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Wasting your time arguing with that guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  23. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Lemme guess Jones, you D bag-
    Money is starting? Hudson, THE white D line, Luke? Jett Bush who played a lot more last year. Geez- thanks for “not being detrimental” you ARE part of the problem.
    What a stupid thing to say. You loud mouth over hyped can’t put together a sentence dbag.
    Please players on the team need to step up and correct this BS comment by this person.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  24. RainH2burntO

Oh man, They've gone and made NR mad now...
    Gone waay tooo far...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Jones should not have released a toxic statement loaded to blow up a program unless he discloses specific documented sources.
    To do what he did was a cowardly, self promoting chickensheat thing. He needs to put up or shut the hell up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Man, that no name loud mouth is embarrassing to watch on TV, but this claim along with the “I’ll throw this out there, but I don’t want to name names or be a detriment” is probably the most unprofessional and cowardly comment I’ve seen a broadcaster say.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

I just want to know who are the idiot donor(s) forcing Sark to play number 25 on defense???
    There seems to always been pressure from BMDs/boosters to play certain players or was it just coaches having favorites? Do y'all remember in 2007 when he had LB starters: Scott Derry, Rashad Bobino and Robert Killebrew, while Sergio Kindle, Roderick Muckelroy and Jared Norton rode the pine???
    TBH, most of the time race has very little to do with it, just flat out favoritism, nepotism or just flat out ignorance from coaches and/or BMDs. Again, someone please explain why 25 starts at safety?:whiteflag:

28. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Jones doesn't want to be a detriment to the program? Just get off TV. You are a detriment every time you open your mouth. And don't repeat hearsay. Jones wants popularity from the many Texas haters at the expense of damaging his own. He is a loudmouth.

Saban is a standup guy. He is the only coach I have ever seen take up for an opposing coach against the media (Mack Brown in the Cotton Bowl when Saban was at LSU and the media was on Mack after he beat LSU). It isn't like the man to make such an absurd statement. Finebaum on the other hand is a suck up wannabe who would love to get credibility by spewing any information from Saban, true or not. I would suppose that the truth is that Saban finds him as disgusting as I do.

Quotes by Jones and Finebaum are not worth the paper the are printed on. I will choose to take the high road and listen the the honorable AD at Texas. Too much is made of our BMDs. Does anybody think all schools don't have to manage this part of a program????

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I am not talking about the race part at all. He was asked what, if any, defensive coaching changes he would make. He said the problem with the defense was not the scheme, it is the players on defense. Specifically, he said they are not physical and they are not smart. One quote: "They have some guys on defense that could not play dead in a western."

• Like Like x 2
  30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

As the media mouthpiece for the $EC he has every reason to lie. Putting up with his BS is another reason for Texas to correct a mistake that never should have happened and go the B1G or PAC-12.