a Better Browser

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Joe Fan, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some may know of this already, some not
    It's a safer browser with built-in ad killers and anti-trackers. Which make it a little faster
    It avoids some of the problems you get with Google & Chrome (in my view, Google is corrupt)
    IE/Cortana is not safe, never has been
    Firefox is slower than it used to be, plus they fired their CEO over politics. So he moved on with his technical expertise and created this new browser called "Brave." This is what I am using on both phone (ios) and laptop now

https://www.brave.com/

Maker video

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Worth a look, I will check it out. I always wonder about the business model for free products though. Somebody is getting paid somehow.

I use Safari, Chrome, and Opera daily on my Mac. don’t trust Google either though. Firefox doesn’t perform well for me.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Words to live by -- "If a service is free, you are the product"

But, IMO, Google is the worst. Their main source of income is their users, whose the data they sell to third parties. Gmail accounts are scrubbed for targeted keywords. Your search history is attached to your IP. Your entire internet presence through Chrome is monitored 1984 style to "package" to bidders.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Welp, I might wean off Opera then... o_O

6. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

That's every free browser ever...although I think IE was merely a ruse to keep people using Windows. It should be noted that they promise to share "less" data than their competitors.

If this new browser gets any sort of foothold, expect major sites to block it for fear of undercutting their ad revenue.

Found this interesting from wikipedia:
    Early adopters may be willing to "donate" to websites but the mass market clearly wants everything for free. The browser was founded on the idea that "free content in exchange for your data" is not a sustainable business model. I'm not sure that's a safe conclusion.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]