A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by OrngNugz, Oct 9, 2017.

1. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

A faithful NARRATIVE OF THE Horrid and Unexampled Massacres, Butcheries, and all manner of Cruelties, that Hell and Malice could invent, committed by the PopishSpanish Party on the inhabitants of West-India, TOGETHER With the Devastations of several Kingdoms in America by Fire and Sword, for the space of Forty and Two Years, from the time of its first Discovery by them.

Author: Bartolome de las Casas

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/20321/pg20321-images.html

Columbus day indeed.

2. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

We are assured that our Spaniards, with their cruelty and execrable works, have depopulated and made desolate the great continent, and that more than ten kingdoms, larger than all Spain . . . although formerly full of people, are now deserted.

We give as a real and true reckoning, that in the said forty years, more than 12 million persons, men, and women, and children, have perished unjustly and through tyranny, by the infernal deeds and tyranny of the Christians

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

So Columbus discovered, but you hold him accountable for the Spanish conquest that followed. OK, got it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

You obviously didn't read any of what was in the link, typical blowhard trumpird.

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Aren't we just rotten?

6. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

To the core, you and your ancestors. Christianity the religion of peace my ***.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Which ancestor of mine had any role in this?

8. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

The white one. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'd respond, but I've about decided some people can't be salvaged. If he thinks we're rotten to the core, then we're irredeemable and he knows it. Which means he's just here to throw flames rather than exchange ideas. In which case... I gotta figure out how I want to leverage my white privilege to get lunch today.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Find some underprivileged single mother and steal it from her. That's what I do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  14. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

"Revisionist View"? The author of the book was actually there, the only revisionist view is the way somehow this rapist/murder became an American hero. Since I know you wont even try to learn the truth and read the book here are some tidbits for you.

They forced their way into native settlements, slaughtering everyone they found there, including small children, old men, pregnant women, and even women who had just given birth. They hacked them to pieces, slicing open their bellies with their swords as though they were so many sheep herded into a pen. They even laid wagers on whether they could manage to slice a man in two at a stroke, or cut an individual's head from his body, or disembowel him with a single blow of their axes. They grabbed suckling infants by the feet and, ripping them from their mothers' breasts, dashed them headlong against the rocks. Others, laughing and joking all the while, threw them over their shoulders into a river, shouting: ‘Wriggle, you little perisher.’ They slaughtered anyone and everyone in their path, on occasion running through a mother and her baby with a single thrust of their swords. They spared no one, erecting especially wide gibbets on which they could string their victims up with their feet just off the ground and then burn them alive thirteen at a time, in honour of our Saviour and the twelve Apostles, or tie dry straw to their bodies and set fire to it. Some they chose to keep alive and simply cut their wrists, leaving their hands dangling, saying to them: ‘Take this letter’ – meaning that their sorry condition would act as a warning to those hiding in the hills. The way they normally dealt with the native leaders and nobles was to tie them to a kind of griddle consisting of sticks resting on pitchforks driven into the ground and then grill them over a slow fire, with the result that they howled in agony and despair as they died a lingering death.

[​IMG]

15. Sangre Naranjada

Again, de las Casas is not writing about Columbus' initial voyage with the Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria. That voyage of discovery is what is celebrated.

De las Casas is writing about what the Spaniards did to the natives during subsequent colonization. And yes, it is reprehensible.

16. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

It is a well know fact that Cristóbal Colón ( non revisionist real name) raped, murdered and kidnapped natives on his first voyage. He may not have cut down babies as the suckled on their mothers breasts like others but he was/is still a monster.

17. Sangre Naranjada

Not well known. Please provide supporting evidence.

18. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I think they were angry about contracting syphilis, "The White plague".

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What's really stupid about this isn't pointing out bad stuff that was done. Plenty of bad stuff was done by European explorers and conquerors. What's stupid is demonizing an entire group of people and their descendants centuries into the future because of bad things that they had nothing to do with. And these same people think that profiling someone who's black or from an Islamic country is a terrible injustice.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And again, what was my or my ancestors' role in this?

21. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

http://www.gradesaver.com/lies-my-t...-treat-the-indians-on-his-first-voyage-237394

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus
    "Columbus kidnapped about 10 to 25 natives and took them back with him (only seven or eight of the natives arrived in Spain alive)"

So you are denying he kidnapped indigenous peoples? If you kidnap someone and they die on your watch its pretty much murder right? If your willing to kidnap and murder people then rape is no big deal?

It is also a well know fact President 45 is a Moron but go ahead and keep burying your head in the sand.

22. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

"And these same people think that profiling someone who's black or from an Islamic country is a terrible injustice."

Coming from the people that profile blacks and Islamic, why dont you go find a safe space so you dont have to hear it.

23. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

Contracting syphilis from all the rapes they were doing, at least some justice in the world from my point of view.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Is Kanye West responsible for the Darfur genocide?

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't mind hearing it. Hypocrisy and double standards are common in politics. You're taking it to an extreme level, but it's common.

26. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

No idea, why dont you go start a thread about it?

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Is Jackie Chan morally guilty for the Great Chinese Famine? How about Gedde Watanabe (the dude who played Long Duk Dong in Sixteen Candies)? Can we blame him Japanese was crimes during WWII?

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Why don't you have an idea? If an ethnic Welsh can be responsible for an Italian kidnapping committed on behalf of Spain half a millennium ago, then you should have no problem pinning the Darfur genocide on a random black dude who was actually alive at the time. In fact it's far less attenuated. You should be calling on Kanye to be arrested and charged with human rights abuses. If you were consistent, you would.

29. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

Quakers were Welsh correct? You are saying that quakers dont have blood on their hands, is that what your saying. They escaped "religious persecution" in England only to persecute the indigenous tribes in America.

Thanks to Quaker policy we had the Camp Grant massacre : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Grant_massacre

Go ahead and bring up something else that makes no sense though to move your self perpetuating ignorance forwards.

30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm pretty sure the Quakers were English, but all us white people are the same, right? No, I'm not saying no Quakers have blood on their hands. I'm also sure that some Welsh have blood on their hands. Some Chinese have blood on their hands. Some Africans have blood on their hands. Some Native Americans have blood on their hands. Some Germans have blood on their hands. The point is that the people who do bad things have blood on their hands. People who happen to be in the same ethnic group but who had nothing to do with the act don't. That's why OJ Simpson has blood on his hands, but his daughter doesn't.

What "makes no sense" is the ignorant and racist concept of ethnic guilt by association that you peddle. It's stupid and dangerous.

• Like Like x 1