A Longhorn Life, by Tyres Dickson

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Tyres Dickson sent this message to Hornfans yesterday. He gave permission to share it here. :hookem:

* * *​

My name is Tyres Dickson, and I’m a T Association member from Houston, Texas. I arrived to the University of Texas in the recruiting class of 1997. My playing career was ended in the spring of 1998 as a result of an automobile accident caused by a drunk driver. The accident left me paralyzed from the chest down. For the fourth year in a row, I won’t be able to attend the home games because of medical issues that confine me to the bed indefinitely. However, when I have tough days, young men who represent the Orange and White lift my morale. With respect for your limited time, I wanted to make a few points to return the favor.

* Texas Fight: As Longhorn, We Fight no matter if its in the classroom, on/off the field, or in life. Regardless of the circumstances we stay positive, and we fight until we achieve the desired result. We don’t quit, and we fight proving the authenticity of the university, professors, students, players, coaches (former, current and future), family, friends and affiliates. Our unwavering resolve is the prototype of a winner.

* The eyes of Texas are upon you, and you cannot get away: The boundaries of our extraordinary university are known as the forty acres, but they extend throughout the world. For every fan that is in the stands there are many more who passionately root for you including the disabled and less fortunate. We fans imitate the Longhorn attributes of giving maximum effort 100% of the time. This isnt meant to be additional stress or pressure; its simply part of the responsibility of having such a platform. Exhibit the excellence you’ve been chosen to do individually and as a representative the University of Texas Longhorns football program.

* I’ve currently spent a little over two million minutes (3 years 10 months) bed-ridden, and when people ask me how do I do it, I tell them two things-- 1) My faith. 2) I’m a Longhorn! Everyday that I’ve spent in this bed I’ve thought of and work towards sitting in my seat at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium; seeing my football brothers compete on the field; cheering them on; and spending time with my Longhorn family. If I can fight as Longhorn in this bed for two million minutes displaying the culture of bleeding orange, surely without a shadow of a doubt all of the coaches, players and fans will fight positively for sixty minutes and “all the live long day.”

You are the best college coaches and athletes that the world has to offer. Let’s get that tunnel reverberating with Longhorns ready to play at their optimal level of performance. Make the big plays that are shown over and over on the Jumbotron. Be great in all that you do knowing there are people all over the world who are inspired to be great by watching you. We are Texas!

Sincerely Hook ’em,

Tyres Dickson #14 c/o 1997

• Like Like x 10
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Beautiful! Thank you, Tyres :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Outstanding, best wishes to Tyres and I hope he gets to a game again before too long. Someone should probably make sure Hermon sees that!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Wishing you the best Tyres! What a great attitude when you have endured so much. To think about the things most people complain about. God bless you!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Grey But Orange

Grey But Orange 25+ Posts

Great job, Tyres! You are the toughest dude I have ever known

• Like Like x 1
  7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

We need to get Mr Dickson back in a DKR seat :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  8. JA

JA First Time Poster

Yessssss!!!

9. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Wow. To have such a positive attitude is a testament to him and an example for us all.

• Like Like x 1