A&M vs Texas 12/06/20

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Dec 3, 2020.

1. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

I’ll chalk this one up to lack of experience playing together. Very winnable game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Texas should not have lost whatsoever. It's frustrating because you know that A&M is not all that good, we just messed that up ourselves. Collier & Taylor were nonexistent the entire game and I don't know what's going on with Taylor but she didn't look ready to play from the beginning. This goes to show how great of a coach Vic Schaefer is because even with your top players playing bad, it's only a 5 point loss to a top 15 team. Hopefully this meeting with the ncaa goes right and Ebo gets to play because we desperately need her.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Close game... ugly game. We needed a tough one under our belt. As poorly as we performed in some areas, we're lucky our pressure was able to keep us in the game.

Oh, and everyone should focus on continuing to learn the system, improving together over the rest of this season, and then coming back next year.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Taylor’s body language hasn’t been good in 3 of the 4 games I’ve watched. Seems like she frustrated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

This game was so winnable. Make 1/3 of our blown layups, air ball fg attempts and free throws , we win.
    Love our defense and grit of this team. Sure wish we cold have Ebo. Would be nice to have another experienced rebounder on the team.
    I'm guessing there will be a lot if film viewing and coaching up before our next game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Youth.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Vic just needs to go with Ashley at PG and let Joanne slide over to the 2 because Texas needs her scoring. And they'll be seeing a whole lot more zone against KState.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Infuriating. A lot of rhetorical questions to follow:
    1) How can you get knocked to the floor so hard you might have a concussion with no foul?
    2) How can you get a bloody nose, with no foul?
    3) Why is Vic playing Karen's "pass, pass, pass, pass, [look for the post], pass, pass, OMG, shoot a three!" offense?
    4) Why did the drive-to-the-basket offense only show up in the second half?
    5) Why are you trying to pass the ball over a taller defender only to have it land in their hands?
    6) Why are you jacking up all those 3's?
    7) Why did you miss free throw practice?
    8) At the end of the game, why did you lose track of how much time we had?
    9) Why is it okay for players to jab their elbow in someone's face, but the moment a hip-check occurs, it's a foul?
    10) Where was the defensive intensity of the first 3 games?
    11) Are you getting tired and worn down this early in the season?
    12) Why the moment we can take the lead do you miss your free throws?
    13) Why was the A&M shooter left wide open?
    14) Did the staff know that Gaston was such an effective shot blocker?
    15) Why didn't Vic get a technical after he freaked out about Audrey's shove and head bonk?
    16) Why bother looking at the replay for a foul you're never going to admit you totally missed? [CYA that's why]

• Like Like x 2
  9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I hope this game stops the hype about Charli a little bit. She is good, with a lot of strengths. But it's hard to do much when you are double teamed by two strong, tall players most of the game. Recall how Louisville shut down B. Griner a few years ago? The business about her being the #1 draft pick is way out of line. I would like Vic to have draw up some plays for her to shoot some threes tonight, since what she was doing inside wasn't working.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Youth.

And I can’t explain the refs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Terrible.....Crap their pants !!! Arkansas showed Baylor is beatable this year, but we don't have the players to do it. They will choke it away with crappy play just like they played tonight. Vic ole boy will need to recruit some quality players before Kim has to worry about Texas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jacob Johnson

Lol he has recruited the best in Texas. Next years team is easily a top 10-15 team. As far as Baylor, they are in the same boat as us. They only had 10 available players just like us and when Egbo fouled out they had no other go to player. Considering the circumstances we didn't play bad we just didn't see the best from Collier or Taylor. Baylor is not an automatic loss this year like years past. In fact I think we can beat Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jacob Johnson

Okay I knew I was not the only one who saw it. She just has not been herself since the first game of the year. She looks angry at everything & doesn't have that same intensity that she normally plays with. I hope her and vic get a personal meeting & he let's her know that he needs and expects more from her. She is the engine that gets everything going.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

I felt the same as you, until I saw these girls play tonight. With Vic Baylor isn't an automatic *** kicking like in the past, but will be a loss.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Up and down game for sure. Celeste did not seem to be really in the game. But I saw enough to feed my optimism. Team is short handed but could win some games they shouldn’t. Shout out to the departed Coach Aston for finding and signing Ashley Chevalier! Not a consensus top 100 player and Vic says he did not know anything about her before he got here. Huge props to the fighting spirit and court savvy of Audrey Warren. There is a player making the most of her physical abilities. Gaston did not know play for final possession and was out of position. I think Warren was supposed to be in but had to leave floor because she forgot to check in properly. Give her a break. She did take a lot of physical blows during the game!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Generally, yes. But let's say you have a guard transitioning one-on-one against a post, then I'd favor the pull up jumper. Depends on the match-up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

So many missed gimmie lay-ups and free-throws that were the difference in the game. But still so much upside on this team and this season. They never quit, kept fighting.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jacob Johnson

Agreed but guard to guard is very frustrating. I am mainly speaking of Taylor's pull up jumper against the A&M guard that really bothered me

• Like Like x 1
  19. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

What happened to Karisma Ortiz. Beginning of the season she was a starter, now she's next to last man in the rotation.

20. Jacob Johnson

Yeah I don't know what the obsession with Baylor is but they are not the team they used to be. Smith has struggled a lot this season and they have as much depth as we do. They don't have very good guard play and there defense is not all that good. I guarantee they will have 3-4 losses in the big 12 this season. The good thing about us is that we have not even been close to our potential. Baylor is an experienced team and has no excuse to be playing like they have been playing.

We did not play bad whatsoever we lost because of things you expect coming from a new team. Just wait and see how good this team looks in about a month or two and if Ebo gets to play then we will really be a sight to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Just checking to see if we all watched the same game. #25 Texas vs #12 TAMU? Final score 61-66. Was that the game?

I saw a coach in his first season at Texas with no seniors just play a national championship coach with a team loaded with seniors. And that coach in his first season at Texas with no seniors came very, very close to winning. Very.

Never like a loss, but I remain very excited about this team and this coach.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Re: whether or not pull up jumpers are a good shot. It all depends on the player. Anyone else with a long memory will remember Linda Waggoner. She had a beautiful, well-controlled pull up jumper which almost always went in. If she drove in and tried to make a lay-up against a taller player, the ball would have been swatted away and she probably wouldn't have scored.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Disappointed. Horns should have won this; at least it wasn’t a blow out. Collier having an off night .. Texas can’t have too many of those.

Yes, we want our Horns to beat Baylor. The last coach went 1-18 vs KM. Talk about that program being in your head. :puke:

• Like Like x 1
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

They've won the conf and beaten Texas a gazillion times in a row is the obsession. Regardless of talent on the team I still would like to see improved offensive play in the half court.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  25. zztx1

zztx1 100+ Posts

What concerned me was how we played the end of the game. Chance to tie, and set up was simply not there. We were just passing around and then when they have the ball, we give them a new clock. Looked like coach did not practice any of the end of game stuff when you are behind. The fact that we do not have the ball back to try to tie or win is disappointing.

26. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

Some of yal are not Basketball heads and are fans and it shows in your lack of knowledgeable things said. We had opportunities to win but that A&M team has several upperclassman (4 Sr starters) and several other reasons as to why they should have beat us and done so easily because of our youth and depth issues but this Texas program is going to get better. You have to think of this team as wine and not koolaid. Wine being with TIME they’re going to be better and not koolaid being add Coach Vic and we are a Final four team with 9 players 3 of which is freshman.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Honestly I did not expect us to beat them. If we had, I wouldn't have been shocked, but I didn't expect to win this game coming in. I keep up with A&M and I knew that, not only do they have more depth in the post, they also have more experience and depth in the back court. Are we as talented as them? Yes. But they have a definite advantage in depth and experience all around. We'll get better the more we play together, and this game provides critical teaching opportunities for the film room.
    :hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 6
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I've noticed the same thing. We have to find a way to get her more involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

And there we have it. :bullseye:

• Agree Agree x 2