A new Forum

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Orangeblood, Dec 23, 2006.

1. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Lord help us ... the fact that we now have a forum on HornFans dedicated to all things BBQ ... this is the very reason why out-of-staters think the way they do about Texas! We are nothing but hokey cowpokes.

Ahh ... screw it and screw them! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And oh yeah .... what about "Salt Lick"?

2. veggieboy

veggieboy 500+ Posts

I vote for The Salt Lick.

But what do I know?

3. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Veggie ... nice to know I am not the only one! [​IMG]

4. OrangeAristotle

OrangeAristotle < 25 Posts

Unless my sarcasm meter is off or I just don't understand the story ... the name of the forum being "Rusty's" would be shameful and an embarrassment to Longhorn graduates/fans everywhere.

Killing, skinning, and eating someone's dog??? That should be humiliating to all HornFans everywhere. What are we? Toothless hicks?

Keep it as BBQ Pit or maybe Bevo's Kitchen.

Yikes.

OA

Edit: Ok, semi-toothless hicks.

5. #3Rules

#3Rules 250+ Posts

I'd have problems eatin Golden Retriever if I was toothless. I guess I could try to gnaw on it in some fashion, but that wouldn't be much fun.

6. Well, their fans have thrown batteries at our fans, have been cleared out of the section at home and put out of the game for rowdy behavior and damnit, they just suck as fans. So if they think they can come to Austin and leave unscathed without memories of a unique fashion, they are mistaken.

(better?)

7. #3Rules

#3Rules 250+ Posts

Seriously, prime rib is good, but have you ever had retriever? yummmmy

8. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]e2.gif border=0>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In honor of this, we need a nana flipping a burger or a smoker emoticon... a grill with some smoke coming out of a tiny stack.

I'm going to be here often.

As for names:

Texas Smokem'
    Ironworks
    Posse East
    The Cue & You
    Roast to Roast with HF

My two cents worth...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]threads/images/icons/bounce.gif border=0>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

Someone is going to have to sticky a thread to the top of this forum to let me know what's going on in all of the other forums.

10. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

11. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

if the name of this board is not rusty's, then a travesty has occurred.

12. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

I think "Rusty's Grill" is the best name mentioned thus far, though it may have limited recognition. Other suggestions:

GM Steakhouse
    Green Eggs and Ham
    Good Eats
    Food Network
    Rusty's/Bevo's/Longhon/etc. Culinary Institute
    Iron Chef/Iron Chef Texas

13. austintexas

austintexas Guest

Wow, I just saw this new board. Excellent.

I have a brisket thread with pics that would go well here. Complete with dogs and beer. I'll try to bump it to the top of HD so it can be moved, should the mods want to do so.

Not sure what Rusty's refers to, but some other suggestions:
    Bert's (big Longhorns, campus BBQ)
    The Smoker

14. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

15. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

OA, the Rusty story is a complete fabrication. It is one of the more brilliant posts to ever have appeared on HornFans because of the slow escalation. Its hard to decide when to realize that its a fake. Like "Godzillatron" and the "USC cheerleader travels" the Rusty story has taken on almost mythical proportions, although its kind of old school HornFans now.

In keeping with the general "boards named after Austin landmarks" theme, I first thought to name it Salt Lick or Stubbs or Iron Works, but Robert had some concerns about trademark infringement. Quack's and Esther's haven't been concerned about it, but I don't want to piss anyone off.

At the moment, I'm sort of partial to Rusty's Last Stand.

Or maybe Rusty's BBQ, so there's some idea of what the board is for even if one doesn't know the Rusty story. I suppose we'll have to put a post at the top explaining the name and linking to the Classics thread.

16. LonghornGirlie

Oh, and we're debating about the whole cooking thing. Quacks has kind of been for recipes, but that may be more appropriate here. Seems to make more sense, but we aren't decided on the matter.

17. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

My suggestion is to have a 'cue related name, however just like in other boards, if someone wants to post a question about seafood, baking, pots & pans... we let 'em go & have their own thread.

But the name is all about the Cue.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

My personal opinion is that this board should be for all cooking threads, not just grillin/smokin/quein. It will save a lot of confusion. If it's just for BBQ, does that include discussions on the best places to find it if you aren't cooking it yourself? I think that would steal too much from Around Austin. If it's for all cooking discussion, then I would suggest not using a BBQ inspired name, as again it would be confusing. Regardless, this board is long overdue. My two cents.

19. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

I am VERY afraid of this forum. I just don't know if LonghornGirlie and Texanne can keep from hijacking every thread on this forum by discussing the juciness that is Orangeblood's loin. [​IMG]

20. OrangeAristotle

21. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

i am going to be one fat sumbitch...

22. ed teach

ed teach 100+ Posts

The Nighthawk

23. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

24. LonghornGirlie

OA, your objection is noted. However, there isn't anything embarassing about that story. "Generic" names are something that I try to avoid for these additional forums of HornFans. They are boring and not indicative of the fun and vibrant commmunity that populates them. By the time someone starts browsing around the Other forums, I expect that they are pretty familiar with HornFans and it isn't like its that hard to figure out what each forum is about and then the name usually makes sense.

However, we'll definitely consider your position.

I agree that picking any one BBQ joint from Austin would be seen as an endorsement of one over the other, so that is probably a bad idea.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Rusty's Grille, so that it isn't a BBQ only name. I also think it would be funny if people started asking where Rusty's Grille was. Kind of like a SpiderAg post. It is also a good thing when a new user finally "gets" the joke. It makes them feel that they are a part of the community.

Sorry, but the story is very, very funny. It was classic humor. Its unfortunate that you can't see it for what it is.

Longhorn fans are now known nationally for our graciousness and hospitality (see numerous posts on other message boards after the Ohio State game). It only increases the irony and humor of the Rusty saga, which was a rebuttal to our treatment in Boulder, if I recall.

25. OrangeAristotle

26. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

Another vote for Rusty's Grill. How anyone could take that story seriously is beyond me.

Also will the threads drop of the board eventually or will they stay forever, Classics style? It would be nice to always have access to the recipes.

27. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

28. LonghornGirlie

OA, thanks for the understanding and Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. I know about the humor. I'll admit it... I've never gotten the Simpsons. Still don't like them to this day.

At the moment, we have this board set to never expire threads. If all threads are "save-worthy" this makes sense. If we start getting additional threads, then it may not make sense.

BTW, the rating system does impact whether a thread will be kept or not. I'll have the check but I think a 3-star rating or above will make certain that a thread does not get deleted.

29. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts