A whole lot of Assistant Coaches jobs just opened up at Texas this weekend....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by majorwhiteapples, Nov 1, 2015.

1. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I believe that Bedford, Watson, LB coach, RB coach and Strength and Conditioning coach are gone.......

I think that the DL coach is gone too but I am not sure if the play has been because of coaching or just them being the only position on the team that has been doing their job for the past two years......

LB's are out of position on almost every play, I think that they blitz way too much and that puts MJ and Jenks out of position..... They make the big play but not the routine plays....

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Misleading thread title.

3. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

...and just who is Charlie going to get to replace anyone he gets rid of ? I wouldn't leave a job I felt reasonably secure in for job that could end up a one year gig. The only way they are out is if Charlie is out. The only way would be if the University would give them a multi-year deal....Don't see that happening.

4. majorwhiteapples

What do you mean? Assistant Coaches get fired or let go all the time.....how do you think we got Norvell? What do you think happened to Carl Reese, Manny Diaz?

Charlie is going to have upgrade assistants, he has the ability to hire the best coaches in the country and he will have to do that as soon as this season is over, it happens every year in college football....

College Football coaches know they are on a tight leash and even though they sign a multi year contract they know they can be gone before the season even ends......

• Like Like x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think Bedford and his side of the ball get a reprieve. Not that it's a deserved reprieve, but I think Strong can/should do more to get the defense going the way he did at UF. Plus, we only have 6 upperclassmen on the entire two-deep. These kids who are gaining valuable experience on the field are going to be the juniors/sophomores who anchor us next year. I think Vaughan probably has a ton of work to do, especially convincing potential safety recruits that they're allowed to play closer to receivers, but I'm not exceedingly mad about the rest of the staff. I think if anything, the only reason their overall rankings are so bad is because they're on the field too much.

I'd be surprised if anyone not named Traylor kept their job with the offense after December. Watson/Wickline have probably been pounding whatever coaches use for LinkedIn since their Notre Dame demotions. Norvell has been using this season as an on-the-job interview for keeping it next year, and he's not doing well at it so far. Robinson has been coaching forever and would probably accept a lateral move to another school who thinks that "RB by committee" is still a thing.

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Agree

7. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Robinson doesn't determine who plays...Thats Charlie feeding Gray the ball.

8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Well, I have another opinion. If Strong survives after this year, I would definitely keep Wickline.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I could go either way on Wickline. On one hand, the offensive line seems to be improving and he was saddled with Watson. On the other, I do not know if it has improved enough and he gave us the whole off the field lawsuit distraction which probably has taken away time from our coaches keeping their focus on the field. So I guess I am okay with him staying or going.

I am ready to drop Norvell and Watson for sure.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't know what to think about Norvell. I still need a larger sample size before I know if this game was an aberration or not.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I believe you are talking out of your ***, and you have no idea what might or might not happen within the staff.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Exactly my feelings with Norvell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I don't see a problem with our strength and conditioning.
    Also Bedford gets another year by virtue of not being glaringly incompetent. Charlie won't axe both coordinators. Too much turmoil.
    I could see several position coaches on defense (both sides of the ball for that matter) getting let go though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I think all of the assistant coaches job should be open at the end of the year, that way the new Head Coach may select who he wants to hire.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I see what you did there.

16. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

In Memphis today on business. Lots of fear on local radio about Texas coming after Fuente. Lots of Texas haters saying "no way a coach should survive getting shut out by a team like Iowa State." To be fair, equal talk about Virginia Tech being a perfect fit, but I think Bud Foster gets that job.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

DS I am usually on the same page as you, and I hope you are playing a devil's advocate on this one.
    • Effectiveness of S&C shows-up in the second half. Enough said.
    • You are correct Bedford has not been "glaringly incompetent" - he has been totally incompetent.
    • Even Ray Charles can see the turmoil now.

18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

You presume that Charlie is going to be around to even GET to have say-so in the matter...

19. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

That sounds more like people being labeled as 'haters' but who actually are parroting the party line of the Texas faithful...because quite honestly, you don't deserve to keep your position when you just got shut out by Iowa effing State...

• Like Like x 1
  20. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

IMO the defense played good enough to win. And would have been better if they had help from offense. So turn offense over to Taylor and score some points.

21. majorwhiteapples

Well, I guess come December, about 30 days we will see what side of my *** we are talking about but most folks on here believe that some of the Assistant Coaches will be gone or should be gone. Seems like a popular way to talk, out of ones *** it seems.....instead of bitching about other peoples opinion what do you think, do you have an opinion or just cutting and pasting from random media sources that are wrong over 90% of the time?

22. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

Bo Pelini for DC, perhaps head man soon........???

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No way that ******* piece of **** Pellini sets foot on our campus. He is as sorry an excuse for a human being as I've ever met, and yes I have met Schnellenberger, Donnie Duncan, Erickson, Frank Beamer, Tom Osborne, Mackovic, for starters. The last time he was in Memorial Stadium, Pelini:

1) kicked and punched our players on plays to their sideline

2) refused to speak to any of our players or coaches after losing.

I refuse to be in the same room with any of the above, but Pellini is the worst of the group. I'd rather shut down the football program and buy season tickets to watch a debate competition than have Pellini employed my The University of Texas!

• Like Like x 3
  24. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

I felt the same way until I started watching this dumpster fire. For me, it's a tough call. He is a piece of **** with hair on it, but he'll end up winning for someone.

25. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

SabreHron,
    Tell us how you really feel about Pellini.....LOL

26. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

No.....

27. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

If Pelini is UT head coach, I'm done. I'd buy Texas -OU tickets and root for OU.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Please, my sarcasm meter must need adjustment. Is someone really putting Bo Pellini out there?!?!?
    (And where is the emoji for dry heaves?)

29. marley

marley 500+ Posts

It might make a difference next year if Charlie were to fire his whole staff (or maybe most of them) and start over -- after his painfully learning on the job at this level for 1.5 years what it really takes to win here.

But what high quality assistant coach would dare come to this program when the head coach will likely be fired after his third year?

That Powers hired a head football coach with only four years of head coaching experience from a Tier II football program is beyond Aggie-moronic. Doesn't Powers have a PhD and an IQ over 100?

30. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

:puke: