AA to start charging $15 for FIRST checked bag

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by MGS, May 21, 2008.

1. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

The Link

A great way for one of the worst-rated airlines to win back customers!

2. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

Continental is by far the best non-discount (not Southwest, JetBlue, etc.) airline out there.

3. North Beach Horn

North Beach Horn 250+ Posts

Truly a piece of **** airline. I still cannot get over the fact they charge for booze on international flights. I am done with AA.

4. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

do they charge for booze in business/first class?

continental also charges for alcoholic beverages in economy during international flights. they are only complimentary in first and business first.

5. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Since I would do just about anything to avoid checking bags, this initially did not concern me.

Then, I realized that this will just cause more idiots to try to carry-on bags that have no business being carried on, as well as trying to carry-on 2 bags, neither of which will fit below the seat in front of them.

This could be maddening.

6. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Eh, who cares. There's too many people flying these days anyway.

7. Monkey_Horn

Monkey_Horn 25+ Posts

This makes me happy I am taking Continental to Greece this summer.

8. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

9. Horn_2004

Horn_2004 25+ Posts

Worst idea..it's only $25 dollars for the 2nd bag. Then $100 for the 3, 4, or 5th bag. Luckily I rarely travel with more than one bag but this is bs. And the fact that it is charged for each way a passenger travels.

10. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

11. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

12. North Beach Horn

North Beach Horn 250+ Posts

Of course it's free in business class. Every non-US airline has free booze in coach as well (see Singapore, Lufthansa, BA, etc.)

13. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I have watched American go down the tubes over the last couple of years, and it hurts. But because (a) they're headquartered at DFW and (b) they own the slots to the destinations I routinely visit, I'm low on alternatives. I tried America West once, and that was all it took to convince me why my friends in Palmdale call it "America's Worst." And it's just too hard to drive from the west side of Fort Worth to Love Field to catch a Southwest flight. So I guess I'm stuck with AA for the time being. Thank goodness Netmeeting is getting better - at least I can avoid some of the trips...

HornHuskerDad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I kiddingly told the missus when I read this that we should get our pilots license and buy a plane, but the more I think about it, the better it sounds.

16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

With rising fuel costs, look for all the other airlines to follow suit. AA is just in worse shape than most, so they're doing it first.

17. Monkey_Horn

Monkey_Horn 25+ Posts

For things like this, I wish they would just add it into the cost of the ticket then we would never know. I think it is just the outright charging of it that has people up in arms. I paid a lot of money for my ticket to Greece & I would be pissed if I was charged more money once I was at the airport to check my baggage.

18. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

19. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

So this is only for domestic travel?

And is it for flights booked after June or for flights that are after June?

20. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

21. Iconoclast Texan

Iconoclast Texan 250+ Posts

Continental too has gotten worse under the sucky stewardship of Larry Kellner. Everything has gotten worse with Continental over the past few years as well. Maybe it hasn't gotten to AA's level yet but it is not far off.

I would love it if we truly had open skies and opened up the US domestic market to foreign carriers. The foreign carriers would provide much better service and drive the domestics out of business which they deserve. That would rule.

22. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

Dear American,

If you're having to charge $15 a bag, your troubles run much, much deeper than most believe. But, that's ok.. you can declare BK in a few years and the government will bail out your poorly managed ***... like they have done with other airlines.

Here's an idea...modify your hub and spoke system and go more point to point. That way, your flippin airplanes don't sit at the gate for an hour to an hour and a half because.. you only make money while your planes are .. oh IN THE AIR!

Oh..by the way... the Wright Amendment IS being phased out...which means.... your monopoly at DFW is coming to an end. SW is going to run through you like Georgie Patton's 1st Army ran through the Hun.

Dumb asses.

23. savvy

savvy 100+ Posts

it probably goes without saying, but the fee doesn't apply to status members.