ABC/ESPN RANT

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by zinger, Aug 25, 2018.

1. zinger

zinger 250+ Posts

ABC & ESPN have been broadcasting the LLWS for the last ten days. Today in the middle of the top of the 1st inning ABC cuts to commercial and then to the Texans game. I expected to find the game was switched to an ESPN alternate channel.
    But can't find it. I've watched the LLWS and they have always been on TV. ESPN is presently broadcasting Alabama high school football, The World X Games, Womens college soccer, W.T.A.Tennis, and a Arkansas LSU football game from several years ago. ATT could not tell me where or even if the LLWS game was on. What a total loss as I have never missed any of the Championship series games.
    Prior to the blackout I had watched the National Anthem being respectfully sung while a large American Flag was unfurled, and saw that every little leaguer stood with their caps over their hearts. I was thinking just how great that was, and that maybe the NFL should being showing that before every one of their games this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

You sure that was ABC/ESPN and not a local broadcasting switch. Just finished watching the entire LLWS US championship on ABC with no interruption here in DFW market.

3. zinger

zinger 250+ Posts

Yes it was ABC that switched to the Texans v Rams which started at 3:00pm. Expected them to move the LLWS to one of the other ESPN channels but they obviously felt that Alabama high school football, X Games, Women's Soccer, W.T.A. and a very old Ark. LSU rerun was more important. Sounds like whoever runs their program scheduling is a complete idiot.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Again, was it the local ABC station that did the switch or did ALL ABC stations nationwide make the switch?

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dallas stayed with the LLWS (I assume to let local viewers see what winning baseball looks like).

• Like Like x 1
  6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

If a local station makes a switch, the national station likely isn't going to change all its other programming just to accommodate that local station.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Viper,

If only you had told me, I would have recorded the "game" featuring the Houston imitation of an NFL franchise for your enjoyment.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zinger

zinger 250+ Posts

I guess it was the local (Houston) station KTRK that made the switch. They should have recognized that with the LLWS starting 30 minutes prior to their Texans kickoff, there would be an issue. They should have arranged things with ESPN to move the LLWS to any one of its other channels since there wasn't anything worthwhile on most of them. Bottom line is they don't give a damn about real sports like the LLWS.

9. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Same here in Austin. This is not uncommon, but they should have warned the viewers. A real shame to have missed that game!