About that offense

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Detective Shilala, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Sam is exactly who we all thought he was.
    With the game on the line, and a chance to win, he threw it away. Twice.
    He self pressured himself all day. Locked on to receivers. Could not be decisive with any of his reads, running or throwing. And he was wildly inaccurate and has no touch.
    The only time he looked comfortable was running the ball.
    Not sure who Tom Herman thinks he is, but he's no Tim Tebow.

But I don't blame Sam Ehlinger.
    When you get something you didn't have to earn, whose fault is it when you fail?

Also Tim Beck is exactly who we thought he was.
    Herb Hand has clearly improved the OL, and Tim Beck STILL can't find a way to make the offense go.
    And the only time we looked confident in what we were doing was running the ball from the hurry-up offense in the 2nd, and naturally we never did it again.

But again, I don't blame Tim Beck.
    When you get a job you weren't qualified for and fail, whose fault is that?

• Like Like x 4
  2. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

By comparison Kyler Murray looked like god's gift to quarterbacking. I'm so glad our standards are so high.

• Like Like x 2
  3. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

This is what kills me. We never tried this approach again. It was our only sustained drive and was wildly successful

• Like Like x 1
  4. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Sam isn't the answer. Gives me no pleasure to say but he's not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I agree, and I'm also wondering if Tom Herman is the answer.

For someone as arrogant as he is, with all the Mensa ********, it seems awfully ******* dumb of him to follow in the same footsteps as charlie Strong, hitching his wagon to the wrong coordinators,QBs, etc....

So he is in the process of pissing away his second season. If we go 1-5 or 0-6 to start the year does he survive?

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

UT is not likely to swallow another $10-15M buyout because they guaranteed compensation completely decoupled from job performance. But I guess that’s the thing to do these days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

What I don't get is why that 2nd quarter touchdown drive looked so crisp and clean. We ran it a lot. The pass & catch looked like pro routes and receptions. That looked different.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

This was all on Sam, I know the play calling didn't make a lot of sense, but the truth is we had a chance to win this game 3 times and Sam choked two of them away. I'm beginning to think the play calling sucks because the coach doesn't trust Sam.

Dude just showed me he has learned nothing from last year. Time to move on. He is Garrett Gilbert 2.0

• Like Like x 1
  9. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Shane should have started the 2nd half. Until we run the ball, this team will be inconsistent. TH is making the same mistake as Strong by not replacing Beck. All you can do is learn from this and move on. We weren't going undefeated so a loss was going to happen, better early than later.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

10 wins was the minimum to stop all of the naysayers (screw 8 wins). He just needs to win 10 of the next 11.

• Like Like x 1
  11. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Sam needs to learn to step into the pocket. He veers outside of it too much. Pass blocking was pretty good today.

12. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

It's a bit novice to blame this on the QB. This team has far worse problems then QB. QB play was pretty good compared to the 5-6 other problems we have. I bet, if you all rewatch the game you can make a pretty good list. Here are a few--Blown coverages in the secondary, no sustainable running game, crappy plays or play calling, 34 points given up, overall lack of preparedness vs Md, Receivers not getting open. Missed crucial blocks, defense not getting off blocks etc...

13. hornarama

hornarama 100+ Posts

Haven't visited hornfans for a very long time. Felt very bad with the loss yesterday. Thought we were ready to start winning and I sure was. I see a lot of blame going to our quarterback and that tends to always be the default for casual fans.

There was plenty of blame to go around. This was truly a team effort in the loss.

1) Defense:

a)Discipline: How many extra possession did we give Maryland? We had horrible and unnecessary penalties on really bad 3rd down passes by Maryland. We bailed them out and gave them a first down which was really a turnover, but we would be getting the ball back. Stupid, Stupid targeting. Can't we have a little more discipline? You know when a receiver is laid out and vulnerable. You can't go head hunting in that situation. The targeting on the QB run was a little more subtle and probably hard to hold back instinctually, but still don't try to throw an extra shoulder when the guy is sliding.
    b) Make the play: dropping a sure interception and then they scored almost immediately after that.
    c) Getting completely rubbed off on a very simple pick play in space cost us a TD, as did falling down. Some things are going to happen as the rules have changed dramatically over the years to give the passing game big advantages. Still, we can't give up so many huge plays.

2) Special teams:

a) Sigh, the 94 yd kickoff return Talk about a momentum killer in the first half. We came back and tied the game and a few seconds later, we are behind again. This made the game the uphill battle it was and IMO we would've won without this play.

b) We miss our master punter...this needs to improve, both on protection basis and execution of the kick. Gave up some significant yards here unnecessarily.

3) Offense: I've already seen a ton of comments about the QB inefficiency and mistakes. We do have a (potentially) dominant receiving core. The defense gave up extra possessions and the offense gave up 2 unforced errors with the interceptions. Personally, I didn't think the fumble was a fumble, but it was close enough to cost us through the ref's eyes.
    ------------------------------
    Overall, I would say we gave Maryland about 6 or 7! extra possessions, plus a few too many "too easy" TD's. I think the line was correct and we were about 2 TD's better than them, but after all the errors we get the loss.

Meanwhile how many really bad errors did Maryland make? I'd say the worst one was the coaching decision to go for it on 4th down. At least we made them pay for it on that one. The QB threw one right in our hands but we dropped it (unlike them who caught our really bad passes). They didn't have really bad penalties (possession changing), and they didn't have turnovers, and they by and large didn't make the big error on special teams.
    -----------------------------------
    It is sad to say, but the longhorns have not learned to win yet, and yes a great QB could get them over that hump, but the other players need to minimize mistakes. I found the game extremely tough to watch, because it seemed like every other play, the horns would make a glaring mistake. Way too many unforced errors.

Felt like I had to vent my frustration, but I doubt I'll feel better for a while. Maybe if we beat Tulsa AND USC, I'll start enjoying the thoughts of the season again. Right now, I don't want to watch or even think about football. This post was about getting some bad thoughts out of my head and then forgetting about it.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  14. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Welcome back. Your comments are spot on. Don't be a stranger to the group!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Your comments are correct, but even with all of that going on we had a 4th quarter lead and that defense gave us THREE opportunities to gain back that lead once given up in the final seven minutes of the game. Two of those resulted in very bad interceptions on two terrible throws with practically zero pass rush. He wasnt the only reason we lost, but he unfortunately made the last few minutes unforgettable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I was able to watch only the first hour ... but in that time, I saw this ...

how do you call pass interference on a DB who is looking for the ball at least 3 steps prior to contact on a duck ball I thought was tipped ... reminded me of a James Brown fade-away jump shot.

The game has changed. TV Contracts (air ball) ... rules committee (player safety) ... and airball (let refs call it) ... has destroyed this game.

putting such a pitiful performance on the field only makes it that much worse.

Thanks to the social justice warriors, I have been able to save a lot of time on Sundays (and now nearly all week) with dumping the NFL.

The NCAA is making it a challenge to stay with them due to their own buffoonery. This is football. PLAY THE GAME ... or remove the pads and play flag.

Here I am on the precipice of buying a numbers-matching CREAMPUFF of an Ontario Orange (aka Burnt Orange) Corvette which is registered with a plate an orangeblood would love ... this car has been photographed with several of the spirit groups; Cowboys, Spurs (Incl Bevo) the Cheerleaders, and Poms ...

Fantasias about driving that sweet little number to Austin on 15 Sept has been dampened. I probably still will, but the problem is ...

I’m being relegated to that of a Baylor fan ... enjoy the sideshows ... and try to forget there was a time I wasn’t even aware of the sideshows ... there was Texas Football in progress.

Til Gabriel Blows His Horn ...

17. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

so, where is the picture of the Vette??

• Like Like x 1
  18. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Hmm .. trying to figure-out how to compress the 2.5 mb file

19. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

My first Vette!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Mercy ... clearly my computer skills are lacking. Cropped the dad-gum bumpers! 1971 year model.

21. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Nice Stingray!! so chrome bumpers front AND back, since '71--always liked that color and the yellow one also---congrats!

• Like Like x 1