ACA enrollment numbers

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by hornpharmd, Jan 1, 2014.

1. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

2.1 million have enrolled for private plans

Goal was 3.3 million at this point. This is much better than I would have thought considering all the unknowns (evident on this board as well) and the website issues. They have reallly simplified the process. I have talked to many well educated people who are just clueless as to what ACA is and how they enroll. Thus it will not be suprising to me to see low enrollment numbers the first year and to see a continued late push. That is just clueless unaware Americans that wait to the last second. I base that comment on my experience as a retail pharmacist who has giving a large amount of flu shots this year to people that normally never get it....and people who wait until they are out of medication and refills and get mad at me when I cannot refill their medication or get a hold of their Prescriber on the weeked or on Christmas Eve.

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So a goal is set, numbers, even the dubious released numbers fall far short , with so many unknowns about the actual numbers but hey
    details are everything [​IMG]

It might have been wiser for BO and WH to downplay instead of the giddy reports.

I see the WH didn't mention the over 6 million cancelled policies. the ones BO LIED about and told everyone they could keep.
    Why report on reality when spouting Hope and Change has worked so well before

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

So 4.8 million people had their policies cancelled and 2.1 million have enrolled. Does that mean 2.7 million fewer people have insurance?

I am assuming this does not include people who qualified for medicaid, so the new net people insured might be positive, but that will not create success for ACA. The number of young, healthy people who enroll and pay is the true needed measurement for this law not to collapse.

4. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

We will see how his party feels about that next November.

6. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Even though most of the country didn't want it our king knows best and his party will pay the price.

7. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

8. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Then why did it take lies to get it passed in the middle of the night?

9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

That poll analysis was a stretch. The question asked "if you oppose the law, do you support repealing the law or let the law go ahead?"

Since there is absolutely no chance it can be repealed given the democratic majority and Obama himself as a final block with veto power, most educated people would be forced to answer to let it go ahead. The 66% the writer arrives at is made up of people who oppose the law? It bet if one answer option was "if you could repeal it yourself, would you repeal it?" It would have gotten a different result.

All polls show overwhelming dissatisfaction with the law, its roll out and the website. Ask the 4.8 million who lost their policy how they feel about the law.

I only know one person who has enrolled in the exchange. His premium tripled with a much higher deductible. He was thrilled!

10. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Roger35 if it turns out that a lot of us are wrong I will give our president the credit he deserves and I hope it does work out. Right now I can't see it though.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Did anyone notice how many have actually PAID even one month's premium?
    Wouldn't that be the real measure?

How many of the reported 2.1 million have paid? Will WE the tax payer have to foot the bill for those who have " enrolled" but don't pay by jan 01 yet use medical services on jan 05? Will that be added to the ' grace period" that Pharm still refuses to exist?

I can tell you ALL of the over 6 million who have had polices cancelled have in fact had policies cancelled.

will the number 2.1 million enrolled turn out to be a lie like the If you like you policy/ doctor lie?

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Heard on the radio that Walgreen and CVS are going to fill prescriptions in good faith even though they don't expect to get reimbursed for months if at all. Another sign this thing will continue to be a debacle.

13. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

14. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I'm angry about all the illegal delay to parts of the bill. If it is so damned great, we should push it ALL forward NOW. It's time to put it fully into effect and then see how things go. Isn't that the "fair" thing? And no one - NO ONE- should be exempted from the bill and the penalties. Apparently BO tried to enroll but his Information couldn't be confirmed. Pretty much like everything about him. [​IMG]

15. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Bat - totally agree and I think any polls should ask the same question. The employer mandate delay, which conveniently was pushed past the next elections, will be the proverbial straw that breaks the back.

Although the delay is after the elections, businesses will identify and start communication of their plans by late summer. Most estimates range in the 70,000,000 of employer cancelled policies.

16. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

My family's policy was canceled, but we've bought a new one to replace it. Of the other 5,999,996 people whose policies were canceled, I wonder how many are now uninsured. Has anyone seen data on this?

17. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

It is about 8,000.

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

paso?
    Are you saying that of the 6 million who had their policies cancelled only 8,000 remain who haven't gotten new policies?

That on the surface seems amazing. Do you have a source/ link for that?

20. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Some of the new ACA rules were already the law in New Jersey, so the impact here is smaller than elsewhere.

That said, to keep a comparable policy, my premium would have gone up substantially. Of course, it has gone up substantially every year since I left a group plan about 3 years ago, so it is impossible to know how much of the increase, if any, was due to ACA.

To keep the premium roughly level, we opted for an increased deductible.

21. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

I read it in the Washington Post yesterday or the day before. I think it was in the Plum column, but I do not recall.
    Many of these "cancellations" were just replacements of substandard policies.

22. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

My neighbor's family is relatively healthy - Asthma, wife w/ mildly high BP, kids w/ allergies and asthma. A crappy plan with high deductible is going to cost about $1500 per month. He can write prescriptions for the family within reason and he can see some physicians for free. Thus, $18,000 a year is useful only for catastrophic care. That doesn't seem like a good deal considering in 10 years he could self-insure with approximately $300K if it can be sheltered from taxes. What do you think he should do?

23. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

He lives in Texas?

I am going to pay $350 a month for coverage for me and my two daughters (this is with zero subsidy). I was paying $950 a month.

24. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

In Texas? That seems way too low. I doubt a spouse would add that much and 2 daughters shouldn't be cheaper than 2 sons. I do know that I used to be covered separately from my wife because it was much cheaper. Maybe I should have him look at separate plans.

25. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

26. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

27. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

paso
    that link was pure Democrat speculation. What date was it published? There are no hard verifiable facts , just speculation
    when it says that some insurance companies have indicated they " expect" the vast majority to renew or be ' automatically enrolled ? What does that even mean?
    Which insurance companies? Have these insurance companies announced they can renew cancelled policies?

BO " allowed insurance companies to renew those evil substandard policies. but how many actually did? the major insurers( BCBS Aetna ) in states like New Jersey, Michigan. Ala,Ore, Calif among others did NOT let customers rewen their old policy.

How this Dem paper can report the number of people who could not renew their old policies is small is laughable. Yes these people whose policies were cancelled do have the portion of obamacare but that is not what they were promised.

And you correct, the gov't isn't releasing how many have actually paid. Wouldn't you think that is pretty important? Otherwise WHO get stuck with the bills? The Insurance people? Sure
    Where will the money come from to pay for this?

I notice you look like you got a pretty cheap policy. is this a standard obamacare policies with the 10 essential services?
    and you didn't mention the deductible or the co pays.
    Those elements of an insurance policy are as important as the premium.

29. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

An observation -- First it was "Death panels", "Grandma dies".

Then it was "socialized medicine".
    Then that became "medicare will be defunded".
    Then onto "website doesn't work -- ACA is dead".
    Once the website got working, it became "TENS OF MILLIONS are losing their insurance"
    Then when it became apparent that that wasn't the case, and crappy plans were replaced by affordable, high-quality plans, the rw has now shifted to "well gee, how come no-one has actually PAID any premiums??".
    Well GOLLY, it's been 3 days since the law went into effect!!

As the ACA keeps getting stronger, the gop clarion call will keep changing. And losing. Good for the country! [​IMG] [​IMG]

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

First it was obamacare will save the average family $2500.00
    Then it was for 85% of people NOTHING will change

then it was ok employer offered insurance gets a year delay
    Private insured? No delay
    And of course how could we forget:
    if you like your plan you can keep it period
    If you like your Doctor you can keep your Doctor period

next came ok well yes millions of policies were cancelled because they were ' sub standard"
    then it was OK we will let insurance companies reinstate those substandard policies
    IF each state ok'd it
    and IF the insurance companies will willing to do it
    Most didn't.
    It is estimated from 17 states that have reported that less than half of the people who enrolled have made a payment

and 3.9 million signed up for Medicaid, twice as many as signed up for private insurance. Who pays for them?

But maybe the saddest reality is that people who think they have insurance do NOT understand they have in most cases thousands of $ in deductables before the insurance pays for more that preventive care. Thousands most do not have
    so now what? who will help these people and where will the money come from?