Academic Fraud at UNC

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Golden Steer, Oct 22, 2014.

1. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

So TOP students from high schools that have not had graduates attend the University in the past and are not prepared for college are awarded scholarships and a guidance program along with remedial restricted classes . Got it. Life is good.

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

4. IvanDiabloHorn

We are smarter than UNC. We do it with the Longhorn Scholars Program hiding them in the guise of inclusiveness and helping the historically under represented.
    Pick a Prof tells the story.
    A regular student has a required under graduate core class in which he does not have any interest in but has to complete.
    He looks at Pic a Prof and finds that while most Professors have 15% A distribution, there is one Professor that has an 85% A distribution. When said regular student tries to sign up for the easy A, he is told that he is not allowed to register for the class as it is only for Longhorn Scholars. The LSP, as Horn11 indicated, is directing the LSP students to the class. The Athlete from a historically under represented class is allowed in the class benefiting his grades and GPA. Even if the athletes are doing their own work, they are doing so in remedial class with inflated(fraudulent) GPA distribution that the rank and file students are not receiving. I am assuming it passes the NCAA smell test, but don't be pointing fingers at UNC until we do away with this type of crap at Texas.
    I opine the entire LSP program should be done away with.
    I have already seen, not only from Texas but other universities as well, "graduates" that have the diploma, but cannot cognitively read, spell, compose a simple letter, understand percentages and do not have basic critical thinking skills. Skills that they should have had before attending college.

The top 10% rule allows every TOP student in the state to have access to The University of Texas, regardless of back ground. Sink or swim. If you cannot complete college work, you DO NOT belong in college.

If the root of the problem is lack of college preparedness, address that problem where it exists.
    If the problem is in the Elementary through High School education process, then fix it there.
    We would be better off taking the squandered money on LSP and UGS and spending it on UT paid mentors in under represented high schools to prepare the top 10 % for college work, not after the fact.
    The Top 10%(7.5%?) from every corner of Texas has been given the the opportunity.
    Sink or swim.

5. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

6. IvanDiabloHorn

You can smell flatulence without seeing it. Ha!

I went to Texas in the early 70's and graduated with a BBA in 1974.
    I am not remembering the LSP being around at that time. I do remember the natural selection nature of matriculation during that period resulting in very high percentage of those not belonging in college being unceremoniously flunked out.
    Sink or swim.

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

8. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

9. IvanDiabloHorn

"Good Lord, no wonder ---you're a pissed off old man."

Chango - interesting slander coming from a generation whose greatest accomplishment was learning to type with two thumbs. Ha!

10. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

11. IvanDiabloHorn

I understand the LSP perfectly and I accurately described the program. I have never believed in lowering standards when it pertains to education. LSP is not needed and waste of money just like the UGS, but relates to the op in that this is how Texas covers up athletic grades in plain view.
    I have no problem using funds for athletic tutoring, but the grades need to be earned in classes just like the rest of the regular students.

12. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

13. IvanDiabloHorn

14. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

15. IvanDiabloHorn

Don't need to, you can find them. Just look for the classes where the students are taking off their shoes to count to twenty. Ha! Don't worry, It's all good. Life is fine. The NCAA isn't coming down on us for what we are doing.

16. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

17. IvanDiabloHorn

I don't worry about bs either. Facts are facts whether you like them or not. The important thing to remember ,back to the op, our process doesn't seem to come under NCAA scrutiny. So life is good, just don't point fingers at others.

18. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

19. IvanDiabloHorn

Every class that a LSP student is allowed to register for(in fact is directed to) that excludes regular students. This isn't hard.
    Don't be mad at the truth, it is just the truth. Our process passes the NCAA smell test, so It's all good. The LSP is in place and apparently intelligent TAPS types are for college credit for remedial instruction(middle school), so I say embrace it, own it, and be happy. Just don't try to make a silk out of a sow's ear.

20. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

21. IvanDiabloHorn

"Every class that a LSP student is allowed to register for(in fact is directed to) that excludes regular students."

I give myself a D on the sentence. The good news is the LSP gave me an A+ . Ha!

22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

IvanDiabloHorn is correct about the LSP classes. I am aware of what he speaks from my own recent involvement with the University. He is not full of BS. Regular students cannot register for classes that show up as 100% As on pick a prof.

I do not know what goes on in the class. If three versions of the course are offered, all of which are open to regular students and have only 15% As, and another version is offered that has 100% As and is only available to students in the LSP then something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Since the LSP scholarship students are supposed to be in the top of their graduating class, maybe As are easier for them than regular students. Will you name the course you're posting about?

24. IvanDiabloHorn

"supposed" and "maybe" ????? You can find those classes, TAPS. You CAN do it, I know you can. I have given you the lamp, seek out the truth.
    I "suppose" I could give you the classes, but "maybe" it is better that you find them. "Perhaps", you "might" get a LSP counselor to assist you.

25. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

26. IvanDiabloHorn

You can find them, I know you can. Start with "pic a prof" and a call to LSP. I wont do it for you.

27. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

28. IvanDiabloHorn

Don't have to, you can find them. Should be fairly simple for a man of your talents and intellectual curiosity.
    Teach a man to fish etc.

29. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

30. IvanDiabloHorn

Waiting on your epiphany.