Acho vs Boyd

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Oct 28, 2018.

1. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I’m taking acho’s side on this one. Boyd messed up and got punished and then got embarrassed on the field. If you want to be upset be upset with yourself. Davis isn’t lashing out and neither should you be.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  3. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Acho spoke truth. Herman should discipline Boyd again. Can be in house, I don’t care. Boyd needs to understand EVERYTHING he does or says reflects on the image of Texas.

Take away his social media for the rest of the year. Shouldnt he be watching WV film instead of going on social media? Smh

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

And let us not forget the transfer tweet during halftime against OU

• Like Like x 1
  5. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

After the last win, over Baylor, TH addressed his team, lathering them up with "love", "I love you", "love you man..." etc.

TH, by way of The University of Texas, has, and continues to provide its student athletes, including every scholarship football player, conditions and benefits that I'm guessing 75% of people outside of the U.S. would almost kill for.

Comfortable housing, outstanding diet and health and medical care, free education at one of the finest universities in the world, status as a collegiate athlete which may lead to job opportunities beyond college work if one does not proceed to professional sports in the interim, ... and at OU a free car.

Beyond that, at UT a $10,000 private locker, and kisses on the cheek from the head coach, and love, lots of love.

Maybe it's time to re-establish the football program at The University of Texas as a program that demands in return, well, excellence and a high level of effort and compliance with rules by its scholarship athletes.

We are told at times that the uniforms must look like a "Mardi Gras pride parade costume" because, well, "that's what kids expect today."

Enough already. As the Pirate admonished his players some years ago at Tceh after an embarrassing loss: "Stop texting your fat girlfriends."

Maybe it's time to re-establish some discipline, enough cheek kissing, enough love, enough putting up with petulance and entitlement attitudes. Maybe it's time to send a strong and clear message to the team that it's a team, it's not a private playground for spoiled brats.

I've noticed a number of posts in the past few hours about one player who has been characterized as not only one of the recently suspended group, but has been in and out of the doghouse all year.

Maybe it's time to send a clear signal. It's the program's option to renew or not renew scholarships. Maybe it's time to do that. Edit: Recognizing that the player of particular concern is gone anyway, permanent dismissal from the team. See how the NFL team talent evaluators consider that action on draft dollars.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Class vs *** (rhymes with class)

• Like Like x 8
  8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Boyd is acting like a true piece of ****.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

None of this is good for anybody. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Boyd needs to check his ego at the door, he is not above anyone, he is owed nothing by anyone, he owes a debt to those that came before him, including Acho. I don't care what Acho said as an employee of ESPN. Truth is Boyd didn't do what he was supposed to, and was punished, Texas lost in part because he didn't do what he needed to do. He can own this or cry like a Petulant child. The choice is his, but his social media garbage needs to stop, or he needs to be suspended.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  11. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

That's what the last guy was doing ... didn't get the support in his pursuit of a staff ... and yeah, he had some game day adjustment issues ... didn't get an honest opportunity after dismissing most of the starters from 2013 for this very reason.

round and round we go.

Otherwise ... outstanding post.

12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Does he not realize that all this is going to be considered by potential NFL employers? Of course the way he repeatedly got burned last night, that might now be a pipe dream for him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I think it will enhance his NotForLong rating. They seem to love big mouths ... they have a LOT of 'em.

now ... getting burned in pass coverage ... that's not going to help.

• Like Like x 2
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I agree with everyone’s take on Boyd but I have mixed emotions about Acho. Smart guy...and I like him, but to be accurate, he has a big mouth and a big ego. I noticed this while he was on the LHN game day set. Acho talked over others and forced his opinions. I have to believe that the other Texas exes — Redding and Ricky, I think — didn’t appreciate it.

To be fair, I didn’t hear Acho’s comments on Boyd but based on what I have observed previously, my guess is that he went over the top with his comments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

^ Yeah, does anybody know what Acho actually said?

How else did you think we were pronouncing "***"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If I were Sam Ehlinger, I'd take Boyd to the side and tell him about the abuse he took last year from a lot of folks over his poor decisions. But Sam never lashed out as far as I can tell. He just kept working. Now we have a mature young quarterback who has grown.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

You know what's crazy? I am an elementary PE teacher and I already see this sort of behavior in my kids. There are some kids that just can't let things go, especially when they're being called out by other classmates. It's impossible for them to be wrong, and they'll make every kind of excuse to justify their actions. They don't know 'team', they just know 'me'.

It's a behavior that I do my best to try and break them of. Skills can improve, but attitudes run a lot deeper.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We are born as very selfish little beings. Someone has to break us down and build up the outward focus of team, empathy and personal responsibility. Hopefully they will remember you when they are older as one of the people who set that example and demanded those actions. My Father coached youth sports for years and you wouldn't believe how many of my old friends on Facebook have told me story after story about how my Dad challenged them and demanded "right behavior." They all value their time with him.

He was from Cuba and very old school about life. No excuses. Own it, learn from it, change it...

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Acho is correct. Boyd is a very talented player that keeps making his team suffer for his mistakes on the field and off. If Boyd learned his lesson he would be humble and take the criticism Then erase the WR across from him. But he doesn't do that. He gets burnt on the field and talks trash on Twitter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

He’s NOT that talented.
    He doesn’t have elite speed, which is why he can’t recover from double moves.
    He’s not a good athlete. He did NOT “mis-time” his jump. Wallace simply out jumped him.
    He doesn’t have good ball skills, which is why he keeps blowing easy interceptions and getting called for PI.
    And now we know he makes bad decisions off the field and has now shown to be immature and thin skinned. IMHO, he won’t be drafted.
    That being said, I would never call another person “trash”.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  21. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I know these are “kids” and Boyd is frustrated after a loss but acho is not the issue, though he’s supposedly obnoxious. I’ve got a reactionary temper so i understand the blurting out of words but it sure looks bad for and on Boyd....

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

and upon his ... T E A M.

I understand the frustration, too ... but avoid putting your team in a hole. Errors happen ... but attitude is of character.

Someone said ... ~"football doesn't build character, it reveals it."

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

well said!

24. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

The loss wasn't on Boyd. Boyd has been streaky all year. He has made great plays and has got burned. But he is still one of our best players.
    I agree with Acho, that it was a stupid punishment by Herman. But calling out Boyd was a bit too simplified. Acho should have focused on poor coaching by the D coordinator. Some of the blitzes and stunts that were called and the continued lack of knowing who to cover by the secondary really hurt. The last QB touchdown on 3rd and 10, and no one had contain? It was a Gundy genius play, I haven't seen it since, but it's obvious that we were in the wrong defense.

25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I think Foster had containment, but he made a pretty lackadaisical attempt at tackling.

26. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

His play level this year (or any other year) hasn't justified one bit of special treatment. He needs to get back to work and keep quiet.

27. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

He was the first to be held methinks. By their #17

28. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Boyd is obviously immature, he has a lot of growing up to do on and off the field. I have HS age kids, and my youngest acts like Boyd at times, ok most of the time. She's 15!!

I am perfectly fine going with Cook or another young corner more willing to buy in to the work it takes to improve. Natural consequences for Boyd's behavior. We let our kids fail and pay for their mistakes. Forces them to grow up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Thank you for saying "containment." Drives me nuts when people use "contain."

• Like Like x 1
  30. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts